Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM

653 posts, read 946,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
When traveling, for your security, a little awareness is a good thing! Maybe it's my USMC training and being aware of "perimeter security"...

Regarding hotels, a large city or small town isn't as important as a hotel parking lot that has regular traffic and is kinda "busy-ish" - these are good - versus a quiet, remote, empty parking lot which aren't so good. Quiet, empty parking lots make thieves feel safer - they can work in "peace", under cover of night, without being interrupted.

Cover your belongings in your car with blankets/towels/etc. This keeps prying eyes from examining your contents through the car windows, trying to figure out what's in the bags or boxes. Many crimes are "crimes of opportunity" - someone who wasn't planning to break into the car just happens to walk by, and a bag (containing a laptop? attaché? other valuables?) or box or package just happens to catch their eye, and next thing you know, what starts as curiosity leads to a quick break-in, especially if the parking lot is quiet and there's nobody around.*The bag / box / pkg could've been empty, but the passerby didn't initially know that. A blanket over your things is cheap and easy insurance. And security.

Small things in the front seats (charging devices, etc) can be quickly covered with a towel.

I also suggest getting a ground floor room with a window facing your car in the parking lot. Park close to your room's window. From your room you'll be close to your car and belongings, and before going to bed you can periodically look outside to check on things (ideally it's parked in a lighted spot). Also, keep a bright flashlight with you in your room. If you hear any strange noises from the lot at night you can shine your bright light out there without leaving the security of your room.
Fabulous advice! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,741,606 times
You're welcome!

jw2's got a good suggestion. There may also be sites where people post the need for a ride and will split the cost of gas (college students needing an inexpensive way home for the summer, etc). Their joining you for the drive will give you more security, but it's a very random way of picking someone for a 10-day road trip.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
You're welcome!

jw2's got a good suggestion. There may also be sites where people post the need for a ride and will split the cost of gas (college students needing an inexpensive way home for the summer, etc). Their joining you for the drive will give you more security, but it's a very random way of picking someone for a 10-day road trip.
echo, you're a wealth of info! I never even thought of that. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,741,606 times
Good luck! Let us know how it went. I'm looking forward to your post after your trip. Have you decided between Nor and South Cal yet?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
1) I-70 West
2) I-15 North (maybe south but not for very long)
3) US-50 West
4) I-80 West
5) I-680 South

This is probably the shortest route and also probably the safest (despite the very desolate stretch of US-50). Accidents and fatigue are probably the biggest threats to your safety and taking a shorter route will minimize that probability.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Good luck! Let us know how it went. I'm looking forward to your post after your trip. Have you decided between Nor and South Cal yet?
Thanks, echo7tango! I certainly will! I'll be sure to post photos and pay it forward by sharing tips I learned along the way, too. With my home sold and the belongings in it, the hardest part (now) is waiting until this summer to move. Luckily for me, time flies quicker every year so I'm sure Aug./Sept. will be here before I know it.

Yes, when I had to leave CA for family and health reasons, after all of that was behind me, I always intended to return to SoCal. Thanks to a good friend who is also planning a move to CA, she opened my eyes to considering NorCal (unfortunately, she'll be moving to the city, but my heart is set on South Bay) and am so glad she did. I think South Bay is going to be a fabulous fit for me!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
1) I-70 West
2) I-15 North (maybe south but not for very long)
3) US-50 West
4) I-80 West
5) I-680 South

This is probably the shortest route and also probably the safest (despite the very desolate stretch of US-50). Accidents and fatigue are probably the biggest threats to your safety and taking a shorter route will minimize that probability.
Thanks, ragnarkar, for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose