Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,518 times

Advertisements

Well, I can't believe we're doing this, but we might be moving from Houston, TX (one of the lowest costs of living in the country) and taking an offer with a great company in Cupertino, CA.

So we're worried about costs of living -- we'd be leaving behind a 2800 sq. ft house and probably renting a small home or condo or something.

Where are good places for young families to live? I like what I've read here about Campbell and Mountain View -- anyone out there with a wife and couple of young children that have enjoyed / not enjoyed living there? What recommendations would you have?

Thanks a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 PM

136 posts, read 741,860 times
It is all depends. Cupertino has best schools (>90% students are Asian?), but you have to pay over a million for a very small, old house. You could pay less in Campbell, Milpitas for old house, but not great schools. You can also pay less and have great schools, big new houses in Evergreen area, but about 20 miles commute to Cupertino.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Mountain View is a great town, and Campbell & Cupertino are pretty nice too... also look into Sunnyvale, which is very family-friendly and "reasonably priced" by our standards. http://www.city-data.com/city/Sunnyvale-California.html
My sister and her husband are expecting their first child SOON (19 days!), and just moved from Mountain View to Sunnyvale. They loved Mtn. View, but could get more for their money in Sunnyvale, and bought a gorgeous home there - they're loving it so far.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Honestly, I wouldn't move here if I had kids unless your income is at least 150K (if not 200K).

It's just too darn expensive otherwise.

Even then, don't expect to live a luxury lifestyle on 150K here. If you move here you might never live in a 2800 square foot house again (unless you want to be "house poor" the rest of your life).

Personally, I don't see why people want to live in houses that big anyway. But if big houses are important to you, don't move here...you'll be sorely disappointed.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 58,456 times
Our family just relocated to SV from Seattle. Like yourself, my husband was recruited to a company in Cupertino this summer. Negotiate temporary corporate housing for 1 - 2 months. This will give you some time to explore at the companies expense. Use craigslist for the most listings of rentals, choosing the south bay link for housing. Rent first, then buy...if you can. It's taken some time to adjust to the culture shock but as we discover new territory we feel more comfortable here. Los Gatos is beautiful but incredibly expensive. We most identify with Willow Glen {95125}, an area in San Jose. Large trees and homes with great character. We've explored multiple parks for the kids in the greater SV area. What I've found is stay-at-home mom's are more frequent in the WG area, unlike areas of Palo Alto for example, where more nannies are frequent. Again, this is one families perspective. A good way to meet families once here is to get out and go to the parks. They're everywhere. Check out baby/toddler story times at the libraries. Join the 'svmommiesplaygroup' on yahoo. Read the Silicon Valley Moms Blog. Buy a Thomas Guide for Santa Clara county. It's better than printing out numerous maps from the computer. By all means, if the suburban sprall becomes overwhelming, head south on 17 to the beaches in Capitola or Castle Rock State Park, west of downtown Saratoga. It'll clear your thoughts and the kids will get fresh air and enjoy nature.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
I can tell you, I grew up in the Sunnyvale/Cupertino area. Worked for Apple computer for a little bit and other silicon valley companies in my 20's. Cost of living was in check when I was younger, but it just skyrocketed and I couldn't afford to live the lifestyle I wanted. I moved out of state and I could afford a nice safe home I can call my own. I know I couldn't sustain my lifestyle if I still lived in that area. So if your willing to downgrade from your lifestyle in Houston with the comforts of a nice larger house, then the move might not be a big deal. But keep that in mind or you might find Silicon Valley isn't the place for you. One big plus you will like is the gorgeous weather all year round (compared to Houston's sticky humid summers)

Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifouboy View Post
Well, I can't believe we're doing this, but we might be moving from Houston, TX (one of the lowest costs of living in the country) and taking an offer with a great company in Cupertino, CA.

So we're worried about costs of living -- we'd be leaving behind a 2800 sq. ft house and probably renting a small home or condo or something.

Where are good places for young families to live? I like what I've read here about Campbell and Mountain View -- anyone out there with a wife and couple of young children that have enjoyed / not enjoyed living there? What recommendations would you have?

Thanks a ton.
Check with your company. Many times, companies offer relocation assistance and will direct you to special consultants who have a very good pulse on the area that is specific to your needs, resources, and desires.

Your decision may just come down to where can you afford. Many people come to the area and designate a city as a great place to move to simply because the school scores are high. What they fail to notice though is that most times these districts are either very overpriced in an exclusionary way (Palo Alto) or heavily Asian (Cupertino). If you are Asian, no problem. If not, you and your kids may find yourselves isolated.

Yes, Campbell is OK, but it's not that big, and not all of Campbell is desirable. It of course is cheaper than Cupertino and Sunnyvale, but you're looking at public schools that don't appear to have as many high-achievers as Cupertino (Asian). For some reason, Campbell hasn't gone through the roof like its neighbors (Cupertino, Los Gatos). Perhaps it has a reputation for being more working class than affluent. You can buy a 1500 sq ft 3 bdrm, 2.5 bath townhouse there for about $500K. Cupertino is more expensive and you get less house for the money. Rents are lower in Campbell. Mountain View is nice as long as you live on the Los Altos side of El Camino. Pricey however. You don't get the Cupertino schools either. Between El Camino Real and Central Expressway is less exclusive and between Central Expressway and Highway 101, is lower income still. School scores are lower.

Sunnyvale is nice as long as you are on the Cupertino School district side, so you can take advantage of the high achieving Cupertino schools that some of Sunnyvale is a part of. For high schools, you want Homestead over Fremont. Stay away from Nimitz Elementary. This school seems to be a dumping ground for other schools in the district, and your kids will be in classes with many kids who don't speak English as a first language. You will encounter parents (Asian and Indian) who will never speak to you or let their kids bond with your kids. Your kids may have many substitute teachers or a change of teachers many times throughout the first months of school. Not a good place. Again, remember that generally, Cupertino and its schools are heavily Asian. In this Cupertino side of Sunnyvale, you can buy an 1800 sq ft house, 4 bdrm, 2 bath ranch for $1.2M+. Rent for one of these homes may be upwards of $2700+/month. Smaller homes are less of course.

Many people put their kids in private schools, schools that evaluate your kids first before admitting them. These schools foster a great learning environment and minimize distractions that many of the studious public school kids must deal with. They have more demanding academics, but they are pricey though.

Check with your company and good luck.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 AM

76 posts, read 419,958 times
Lifebou, the best place to start is Campbell. The housing is much more affordable and there is a small town community feel to it. It is ideally located centrally to surrounding cities with access to all major freeways. It also is within 5 miles each way to the best entertainment and dining locations in the South Bay (Westgate, Pruneyard, Santana Row).

As of the better communities to live in Campbell:
Dry Creek (expensive)
Marijane Hamman Park (above average)
Downing (above average)
Blackford (average)
Westgate (average)

Low crime, small community, good schools. Its pretty much a quite bedroom community in the south bay although its starting to get more recognized for community events and a place to hang out for entertainment. Downtown area has been improved but still offers a small town feel to it.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I understand the appeal of Campbell, but I hate driving there as much as I hate driving in San Jose or San Francisco. 85 is worse than the Nimitz during peak commute hours, and the traffic patterns on the surface streets are horrendous.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 AM

76 posts, read 419,958 times
85 gets ugly around the 880 interchange but thats Los Gatos, not Campbell.

Those who live in Campbell use 880 from Hamilton or 280 Winchester. San Tomas or Lawrence Expressway can be used instead of 85 if you want to head towards Santa Clara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose