Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I find it a tad bit interesting, if not amusing, that Google being the monolithic search engine that it is , that not even ONE of their employee has come onto this thread and given a response about the work ethics there ???? Hmmmmmmm ????

Very interesting indeed !

<<<<maybe they're just 2BZ >>>>
and everyone has to sign a NDA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
and everyone has to sign a NDA
And lavish praise unto Great Supreme All-Loving Benevolent Master...or is that somewhere else?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM

297 posts, read 766,940 times
Default goog

I have one anecdotal story about a corp. job.

I have a friend who's a recruiter and was hired there for as a temp for a one year contract to do recruiting (he said they were hiring something like 1700 recruiters). After starting, it took them awhile to get him a computer, and they had him floating to different desks. They even took awhile to get him assigned to a specific recruiting group. He was then not assigned anything specific to do, so was given research/grunt work to do (that was not what he was told he would be doing). He did that for about 4 months and got another gig he liked better and left. I heard from another recruiter that he had a friend with a similar story. Sounds like they make promises to new hires they don't really have the ability to deliver on. But of course that's anecdotal and may not be reflective of other depts.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
I have a friend who's a recruiter ... He was then not assigned anything specific to do, so was given research/grunt work to do

Isn't that what recruiters are good for?

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I find it a tad bit interesting, if not amusing, that Google being the monolithic search engine that it is , that not even ONE of their employee has come onto this thread and given a response about the work ethics there ???? Hmmmmmmm ????

Very interesting indeed !

<<<<maybe they're just 2BZ >>>>
They're too busy working their 80 hour workweek.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
And lavish praise unto Great Supreme All-Loving Benevolent Master...or is that somewhere else?
Shhh... still covered by NDA. Just don't drink the kool aid ... even (especially) if it's free.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
I have one anecdotal story about a corp. job.

I have a friend who's a recruiter and was hired there for as a temp for a one year contract to do recruiting (he said they were hiring something like 1700 recruiters). After starting, it took them awhile to get him a computer, and they had him floating to different desks. They even took awhile to get him assigned to a specific recruiting group. He was then not assigned anything specific to do, so was given research/grunt work to do (that was not what he was told he would be doing). He did that for about 4 months and got another gig he liked better and left. I heard from another recruiter that he had a friend with a similar story. Sounds like they make promises to new hires they don't really have the ability to deliver on. But of course that's anecdotal and may not be reflective of other depts.
I have a friend who was hired on as a temp there to do grunt work as well. He also ended up leaving for another gig.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I work for a large Silicon Valley tech company (not Google). I can tell you that while it is ideal to be able to make the choice, it is not realistic. I do keep my hours actually in the office limited. However, I am frequently on calls with Asia, Europe, etc in the early morning or late evening. It seems to be a requirement nowadays to get work done, given our global presence.
This is what I find with my husband as well. He actually keeps the in-office time to around 40 hours a week, sometimes less by working from home or elsewhere. But he's logging much more than that with AM and PM collaborative calls from home. Occasional weekends in-office, but always keeping tabs on things from home. Though a factor is his company is global so someone is always working. Yet, I still hear from other friends of mine that we are to consider ourselves lucky he is often home for dinner. The flexibility in his time is valuable, though, when you have a family (which it sounds like isn't your situation). I'd rather he be able to attend a school function mid-day and work late, then be punching an 8-5 clock every day at all costs.

If it were me, I'd enjoy the free trip to California and the job-interviewing experience. You may be surprised that this role is the perfect fit, or being an E-Coaster, you just may loathe it here and it would make your decision easier.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
This is what I find with my husband as well. He actually keeps the in-office time to around 40 hours a week, sometimes less by working from home or elsewhere. But he's logging much more than that with AM and PM collaborative calls from home. Occasional weekends in-office, but always keeping tabs on things from home. Though a factor is his company is global so someone is always working. Yet, I still hear from other friends of mine that we are to consider ourselves lucky he is often home for dinner. The flexibility in his time is valuable, though, when you have a family (which it sounds like isn't your situation). I'd rather he be able to attend a school function mid-day and work late, then be punching an 8-5 clock every day at all costs.

If it were me, I'd enjoy the free trip to California and the job-interviewing experience. You may be surprised that this role is the perfect fit, or being an E-Coaster, you just may loathe it here and it would make your decision easier.
Thanks for the input. It went well, and I actually feel much more comfortable with the company and culture. I really feel it is a good fit for me. The vibe I got, and what people said to me directly, was very positive.

I still have concerns with the relocation though - moving coast to coast away from family is a tough decision. I guess I won't worry about that unless and until I have an offer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: