Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 269,876 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I am struggling to find (what I think ;-) is a good radio station here.

I like music like Incubus,30 seconds to mars, linkin park and dance/trance type music.

I found 98.5 which seems to be old rock and havent had much joy otherwise.

Any ideas?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM

297 posts, read 766,500 times
Default not much choice

ideas:

live 105 - 105.3 - only alt-rock station in the bay area, except maybe college radio stations - i think saturday nights have dj's/trancey stuff, otherwise mostly rock (linkin park etc)

alice - 97.3 - lighter version of live 105.3-more top 40 stuff

kfog - 104.5 - mix of alt-rock/classic rock - not likely to hear anything harder then foo fighters though

Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilz View Post
Hi All

I like music like Incubus,30 seconds to mars, linkin park and dance/trance type music.

Any ideas?

Thanks all
Live 105 would be it, but do have a listen to college stations like KFJC 88.9, KSJS 90.5, KSCU 103.3 for a bit more nuanced stuff like trance.

Isn't Incubus and Linkin Park old rock already?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Live 105 is the last of the Mohicans in terms of alt commerical stations. Hope it survives.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

54 posts, read 82,921 times
Quote:
Hi All

Any ideas?

Thanks all
As other posters have pointed out, your are looking for Live 105. There really isn't a major radio station out here that plays "dance/trance" music. There is Wild 94.9 but they mostly play top 100 billboard type dance music.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Hi All

Any ideas?

Thanks all
Siriusly, er, I mean seriously, you should try SiriusXM satellite radio. The '90s alt channel is Lithium, plus you'd probably like the new alt channel which is Alt Nation. For dance/trance/chillout there's BPM, Electric Area, and SiriusXM Chill.

Try it online for free and then get it for your car/home if you like it. I've got it in all my cars, on my phone, and another receiver in the house.

If that's too much variety, and your tastes are narrower, then you should use your smartphone as a receiver for Internet radio, and design a station for yourself.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM

110 posts, read 269,876 times
Thanks all I will give 105 a go :-)

and yes move to sirius in the future , when I get a more modern car and phone ;-)

Loved the arent incubus and linkin park old comment haha made me feel old, quite scary what you think is good gets played on classic stations !! I must admit I am going to see Iron Maiden at the shoreline and that does make me feel old !!!

Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I am going to see Iron Maiden at the shoreline and that does make me feel old !!!
Maiden never gets old. A whole new generation can't get enough of 'em (check the T-shirt sales). Still a great live show. Which is a good thing, since I work as a stagehand at Shoreline - not missing that one.

Our favorites to listen to at work (the other job) are whatever we dial up on Shoutcast Radio on the WinAmp player, and Pandora.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Interesting what is happening now. Live 105 is trying to do what they did with Alex Bennett 20 and more years ago, having a "funny" morning show with lots of talk and less music. Meanwhile it's obvious KFOG is making a move to grab share from Live 105, look at the mix they now play, an increasing percentage of Alt but more of the classic 80s "proto Alt" / New Wave than Live 105. Looks like this is a fight to the death and only one will survive. I'm actually going to place my bet with KFOG (Cumulus) over Live 105 (CBS). Only one will survive and the other will undergo some sort of radical format change (e.g. to Spanish Language, all talk, etc).

Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Interesting what is happening now. Live 105 is trying to do what they did with Alex Bennett 20 and more years ago, having a "funny" morning show with lots of talk and less music. Meanwhile it's obvious KFOG is making a move to grab share from Live 105, look at the mix they now play, an increasing percentage of Alt but more of the classic 80s "proto Alt" / New Wave than Live 105. Looks like this is a fight to the death and only one will survive. I'm actually going to place my bet with KFOG (Cumulus) over Live 105 (CBS). Only one will survive and the other will undergo some sort of radical format change (e.g. to Spanish Language, all talk, etc).
KFOG and KPIG. 107.7 ain't so bad, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose