Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 AM

90 posts, read 168,692 times

Advertisements

Metro PCS doesn't have a bring your own phone plan and hence you are pretty much stuck with the phones they offer. I was thinking that I could buy the Samsung International Version and finish my contract with Verizon and then switch over to a prepaid provider like Straight Talk or Page Plus? Does the Samsung Galaxy Note II international version support both CDMA and GSM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,050,757 times
Doing some reading on the web about the proposed merger, the MetroPCS network is going to disappear in favor of T-mobile's network (since T-mobile has a *much* larger installed network). Although they claim that MetroPCS customers won't have to change a thing (same plans, same phones, etc.) they also hint that MetroPCS customers will need a new phone after a couple of years.

It looks like MetroPCS is now no longer an option for me.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,050,757 times
The MetroPCS/T-Mobile merger still hasn't been voted on. The terms from T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) have been sweetened :

MetroPCS vote on T-Mobile merger postponed as Deutsche Telekom sweetens the deal | The Verge

Also, Dish Network is sniffing around and may wish to buy T-Mobile :

Dish reportedly seeks merger with T-Mobile | Mobile - CNET News

Altho the above may not be true, as it has also been reported that Dish made an offer for Sprint :
Dish Offers to Buy Sprint, Joining Phone to TV Service - NYTimes.com

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 211,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
But AFAIK, ST uses AT&T and T Mobile. So you'll get the same speeds as what other ATT and Tmobile users get.
No, this is certainly not true. ATT and T-Mobile both prioritize their own contract customers over their own pre-paid customers and over the customers of their pre-paid resellers. As a result, if there is some network congestion, the data service can be at a stand-still. It is very annoying, and I may need to switch to T-mobile or ATT pre-paid as a result.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,702,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
No, this is certainly not true. ATT and T-Mobile both prioritize their own contract customers over their own pre-paid customers and over the customers of their pre-paid resellers. As a result, if there is some network congestion, the data service can be at a stand-still. It is very annoying, and I may need to switch to T-mobile or ATT pre-paid as a result.

Both TMob and AT&T have annoying periods of data drop-out and slowdown even for their own customers. I doubt you would notice any difference in coverage between those companies and their MVNOs.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
Another easy solution: leave the the proxy field blank in the APN settings.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM

96 posts, read 211,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Another easy solution: leave the the proxy field blank in the APN settings.
That's not a solution. The proxy field is left blank by default for ATT SIMs for my NET10 service. Granted, I'm not in the cell phone business, but I'm willing to bet they do routing based on the ESN or some other identifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose