Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 11,941 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the area soon for me to start a new job, and we're trying to narrow down the possible areas to live. Trying to find a balance between overall neighborhood (safety, low crime, good elementary school), commuting distance (my job is off San Tomas, just south of 101), and reasonable cost of living. Don't really care about nightlife or access to big cities.

From what I've seen so far, the areas near the Santa Clara - Sunnyvale border seem decent on the first two criteria, but are a bit more expensive than we'd prefer (~$2,000 for a 2-bedroom, when we were hoping to find something closer to $1,700).

I'm willing to commute further if everything else adds up. Doing some preliminary research, it seemed like going out to somewhere like Livermore or Gilroy would save about $400 on rent, but then $200 of it goes right back into train/gas costs, which would make the extra time lost hard to justify. But there are a lot of possible areas/directions to commute from, so it's possible I'm overlooking something good, and would love any suggestions.

Also, my parents live on the SJ/SC border, in a good school area. I know when I was growing up there were lots of kids living elsewhere but using a relative's address. Is it feasible to use their address for enrollment, or have the school districts cracked down on that? That would open up some more possibilities in central/northern SC, which seem fine other than the sketchy schools.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Try Fremont - reasonably safe, good to excellent schools and a reasonable commute to Silicon Valley. The commute to Livermore would be hideous from San Tomas and 101 (Santa Clara).

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 PM

Thanks. I'll take another look at Fremont. And yeah, the only reason I was looking at the Livermore/Pleasanton area was with the idea that I could take the ACE train to work (a longer commute isn't so bad if I can actually get things done during it rather than having to drive).

Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 AM

310 posts, read 687,247 times
Renting in the East Bay doesn't save that much money, I think. It may improve your lifestyle a lot but not save much money. Buying in the East Bay to save money is a much stronger proposition.

Cupertino school districts have cracked down on using a relative's address; I'm not sure about other districts. I've heard that Cupertino demands proof (e.g. water bills in your name) and even visit the address, asking the see the child. If you fail, they pull the kid out of class immediately. Every year, they have a sort of "proof day" where they pull a bunch of kids out of class who have failed to provide proof and kick them out of school. It's harsh. Still, I've heard of people who still manage to beat the system.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
Renting in the East Bay doesn't save that much money, I think. It may improve your lifestyle a lot but not save much money. Buying in the East Bay to save money is a much stronger proposition.

Cupertino school districts have cracked down on using a relative's address; I'm not sure about other districts. I've heard that Cupertino demands proof (e.g. water bills in your name) and even visit the address, asking the see the child. If you fail, they pull the kid out of class immediately. Every year, they have a sort of "proof day" where they pull a bunch of kids out of class who have failed to provide proof and kick them out of school. It's harsh. Still, I've heard of people who still manage to beat the system.
I'd agree with that renting in the East Bay isn't going to save that much money, plus the commute direction from the East Bay southward is not favorable. You might try looking also in West San Jose/Campbell for the Moreland School District boundaries which might be a bit more affordable. Cupertino is going to be pricey. What is your upper limit for lease rates?

Also, yes, many school districts do actively carry out residency checks, you will have to show proof such as utility bills, leases, etc., in your name to register your child. I would advise against trying to do this.

Also, what ages are your children? That might also help narrow down some criteria.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 15,767 times
I'd be careful about Fremont though. A friend of mine and her husband live there, and while they live 1-2 blocks away from a really good elementary school, there were no placements available for their daughter. The school offered another placement, as they're legally required to, but it was 5 miles away in a much worse district/school. They had no recourse, and weren't prepared to put their daughter in the much worse school, so now she lives with her overseas grandparents and attends school there for the time being.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'd check into it beforehand.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks, everyone. My child is 3, so we have a couple of years before starting school, but would still rather settle somewhere where we're not going to be forced to move when that time comes. Santa Clara's school inconsistency is frustrating -- my favorite place I've toured so far is only half a mile from Sutter Elementary, but because it's on the north side of Homestead, it's assigned to Pomeroy, which is both further away and significantly lower ranked. I know Santa Clara has an open enrollment process, but the website makes it sound like it's lottery-based and nothing to count on. Anyone know what the odds are of successfully transferring through it?

And yeah, after browsing the listings some more, the Fremont area doesn't really seem like it saves enough on rent to make up for the extra commute time and cost. I'm looking at a couple of other options heading south to Campbell or Blossom Hill, which seem a bit more affordable, and the commute would be a straight shot up San Tomas (and it looks like there's even a bus that would work).

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrosauron View Post
Thanks, everyone. My child is 3, so we have a couple of years before starting school, but would still rather settle somewhere where we're not going to be forced to move when that time comes. Santa Clara's school inconsistency is frustrating -- my favorite place I've toured so far is only half a mile from Sutter Elementary, but because it's on the north side of Homestead, it's assigned to Pomeroy, which is both further away and significantly lower ranked. I know Santa Clara has an open enrollment process, but the website makes it sound like it's lottery-based and nothing to count on. Anyone know what the odds are of successfully transferring through it?

And yeah, after browsing the listings some more, the Fremont area doesn't really seem like it saves enough on rent to make up for the extra commute time and cost. I'm looking at a couple of other options heading south to Campbell or Blossom Hill, which seem a bit more affordable, and the commute would be a straight shot up San Tomas (and it looks like there's even a bus that would work).
Have you looked into any places that are served by Laurelwood Elementary? I think there are a number of apartment buildings on the west side of Lawrence Expressway, north of Homestead, south of Benton Street that might be there. It also extends into Sunnyvale's Birdland neighborhood (named for the avian street names).

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 PM

Yeah, that was actually the first area I zeroed in on, based on distance and school, but every vacancy I've found in that neighborhood so far has been over $2,000.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM

291 posts, read 958,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrosauron View Post
Thanks. I'll take another look at Fremont. And yeah, the only reason I was looking at the Livermore/Pleasanton area was with the idea that I could take the ACE train to work (a longer commute isn't so bad if I can actually get things done during it rather than having to drive).
The only way you are going to save money is if your employer pays for commute expenses. ACE train is expensive! Your best bet is Fremont or south San Jose (Campbell, Evergreen, Willow Glen). But rent first and start your search by visiting the actual schools you think might be a good fit. Test scores don't tell the whole story. You will be surprise how fast your eliminate some "high rated schools"

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose