Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We're considering moving to a house on Quito road (near McCoy Ave). Everything seems perfect except the noise. We could hear the roaring cars even when every door and window was shut, and it was Sunday afternoon. It seems that Quito is a very busy street, but I heard that on the morning it would be less noisy because cars move slower. Is it true? Is it always bad, even in the evening?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM

240 posts, read 478,388 times
Some houses in that area still have single-pane windows. Near the SJ airport and next to Lawrence Expw, recent constructions now have triple-pane windows. That's be the first thing to check..

Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM

This house has double-pane windows.

I actually came back to that corner of McCoy Ave and Quito Rd at 10 PM last night, and there were one or two cars every other minute. I also heard some faint background noise which I suppose generated by cars on the nearby 85, which is actually more intimidating than the noise on Quito Rd. I couldn't tell if I could still hear that noise in door though.

Is it a bad idea to buy a house in this area? Is there anybody living there that could give me some insights on how annoying the noise could become? How about resale value? I could see that this house won't sell too quickly, even though it's a nice house in a pretty good school district.

Hope to hear some advice from the experts.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
I used to back an (unexpectedly) busy street. I really wouldn't do that again. The noise was unpleasant, though we led into a canyon so we had horribly loud motorcycles all weekend long. Also b/c I have children and pets I'd never front one for fear the latter would get out and run into the road.

As for resale, how much cheaper is the house you are looking at than comparables in the neighborhood which are NOT on the busy road, and that's your answer.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quito is one of the main arterials through that area, along with Saratoga Ave. If you're sensitive to noise, it's not going to get any quieter with time. But as I'm sure you're aware, the only comparable in the area at the moment is up against the 85 sound wall. Or you can pay $300K more to be next to the train tracks. Just saying, though.. as someone who was actually born and raised here I wish I had the problem of deciding between homes in Saratoga, busy street or not.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM

197 posts, read 347,813 times
This is one of the reasons we scrapped Saratoga and Los Gatos. All of the affordable (1.5-2 mil) houses were in the crappiest of all locals in terms of being right near the freeway or major road. It's just not worth all of the sacrifices (home size, noise etc.) to live in those areas IMO (and my husband and I grew up in those areas).

Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Local123: if you don't mind could you share where you're living now? My budget is $1.1MM, and I agree that it's so hard to find a decent house in Saratoga.

The house that I'm considering is good though. The lot is 10,000 square feet, and the house itself is beautiful. I actually felt in love with it at first sight, just to be disappointed with the location.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I love the Quito Rd. area. It's too bad you can't handle the noise, because it's very charming.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Default McCoy & Quito

I rehab'd that house 20 years ago. Put in the two wall fence and double pane sound barrier andersen windows. My wife hated the noise and vibration from day one.
I tried adding insulation, nothing really worked, so I sold it, long ago.
If you hate road noise it wears on you and becomes more annoying over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose