Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 21,163 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Union City right now and I commute to North San Jose (right under Milpitas). I recently moved here from sacramento after graduating. The commute is around 40 minutes on i-880 from Union City to North San Jose.

I leave house at 8:30am and leave work at 6:30pm usually.

I'm moving to Dublin soon RIGHT above stoneridge mall. My boyfriend is going to school in Pleasant Hill and we need to find a middle ground where the apartment rent is decent. His school is 55 minutes from Union City without traffic, so that's why we must move further north.

Is this travel going to be a lot longer than my current commute? If so, how long would it take during those times from Dublin (5 minutes away from stone ridge mall) to North San Jose? (it's 3 miles south of Milpitas. I take Montague exit) I heard 680 is a lot less traffic compared to i-880, but whenever I check my google map, there is a lot more red than the i-880.. Especially around the Sunol area.

Keep in mind, I am moving further up north than Union City so the travel is around 8 miles longer exactly to my current work place.

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
The Sunol Grade sucks. I would just stay put honestly, as Pleasant Hill to Union City is not that hard. Just take the Mission/238 exit from 680 and it would be a reverse commute, so no traffic.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The Sunol Grade sucks. I would just stay put honestly, as Pleasant Hill to Union City is not that hard. Just take the Mission/238 exit from 680 and it would be a reverse commute, so no traffic.
Any idea how long the commute would be from Dublin to North San Jose (described above)? It's 55 minutes from my house to my boyfriend's school. 46.6 miles each way WITHOUT traffic. pretty harsh on gas AND time.

During midterms and finals week, he would need to study and stuff. He would ALSO be looking for part time jobs near our area or near school, so we need the school to be closer to home compared to the san jose job. It would be too tiring going to school, studying, and having a job at the same time, compared to one full time job.

thank you!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,421 times
This question has been asked many times on this forum. Search for any of Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore in the subject line, you'll find them.

PS : It's a horrible commute.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
This question has been asked many times on this forum. Search for any of Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore in the subject line, you'll find them.

PS : It's a horrible commute.
Thank you. I've seen all of them, but never dublin to north san jose. some people say 50 minutes but i say its more than that. just wanted to hear more opinions. thanks

it seems like 680 is more crowded than 880 on the google map... correct me if I'm wrong. the 680's red line is longer around 8:30am and 6:30pm..

Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Since you'll only be supporting your BF part-time, since he'll be "getting" a part-time job, you should definitely be sure and make his life as easy as possible. Just move to Pleasanton. After all, you're only working full-time. Oh, yeah, and with a bad commute already.

Plus, I'm sure you have enough savings for the cost to move the two of you, too. What the heck?

Speaking as a mother here...and yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobasaur1 View Post
Any idea how long the commute would be from Dublin to North San Jose (described above)? It's 55 minutes from my house to my boyfriend's school. 46.6 miles each way WITHOUT traffic. pretty harsh on gas AND time.

During midterms and finals week, he would need to study and stuff. He would ALSO be looking for part time jobs near our area or near school, so we need the school to be closer to home compared to the san jose job. It would be too tiring going to school, studying, and having a job at the same time, compared to one full time job.

thank you!
It depends a little on commute hours. If you leave at 6:30, then you could do it in 30-40 minutes commuting to say Tasman Drive. If you leave later, then it could take over an hour. Coming back in the afternoon, the commute pattern is significantly different because of the big-rig traffic. It's heavy early and stays heavy really, really late because it is only 3 lanes. That can be up to 2 hours and there are no alternate routes that can help you until after 7 pm when I-880 clears up.

If the ACE commuter rail and shuttle works for you, then that's an economical alternative and would make it work.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 AM

25 posts, read 81,611 times
Morning commute: try to get on 680 south at the stoneridge exit to avoid the 580/680 interchange. Before 8am, 680 towards Fremont will be heavy, but not crazy (as long as there isn't a stalled vehicle on Sunol grade, which rarely happens during the morning commute). It should take you about 20 mins from stoneridge to the second mission blvd exit. You'll have to wait to get onto mission blvd (traffic backs up there on 680), and it'll take you about 15 mins usually to cross mission blvd, and then get on 880 south. 880 is again heavy but not backed up in the morning. Getting to montague expwy exit will take you maybe 10-15 mins on 880. In total, your morning commute will be about 45-50 mins on a normal commute day.

As an alternate, you can stay on 680 and get off on montague expwy off 680. Morning traffic on montague can be a little thick, but it could save you 5 mins or so compared to taking mission blvd.

Evening commute: traffic is extremely heavy on montague and 680 starting at about 330 lasting till 7pm basically. The worst bottlenecks are on montague itself, and then on 680 starting north of mission blvd. it's much more common for a stalled vehicle to back up traffic on the Sunol grade in the evening. A slightly fast shortcut would be to get off 680 at mission, take mission to paseo padre, then take Washington blvd and get back onto 680 there. That sometimes allows you to avoid a heavy amt of traffic. You'll still be stuck in traffic getting over he Sunol grade, but once you get over the hill, the traffic lightens up and you'll sail on 680 starting past the golf course to stoneridge. In total, give yourself 1 hour to commute home if you're leaving after 330pm.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
It's a tough commute. If you leave early, you can manage the traffic better. I always took 680 to Montague. Montague can get heavy, but it's much better than Mission Blvd. Your commute back home will always back up in Fremont on 680. On Fridays and other heavy traffic days, 680 NB can back up around Jacklin Road in Milpitas.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 PM

A good alternate may be to get off of I-680 at Capitol Ave and double back. It turns into Great Mall Pkwy and then Tasman, and it moves a lot better than Montague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose