Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I grew up in Santa Clara and just moved away almost 5 months ago. I'm in my early 30s. I worked retail back home, but here I'm finally doing my dream of software development. I'm definitely far better off here!
Congrats! I remember some of your posts regarding pursuing software career in the Bay. I'm glad that you found an open door! Though it's not in the Bay, it's still all good!!! Happy for you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 AM

574 posts, read 697,058 times
I fully agree with you, OP. Taxes are ridiculous and COL is obscene. I rent and would never consider owning in this area. I DO plan to leave, but right now due to the salary increase from COL I'm better off here than elsewhere.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I fully agree with you, OP. Taxes are ridiculous and COL is obscene. I rent and would never consider owning in this area. I DO plan to leave, but right now due to the salary increase from COL I'm better off here than elsewhere.
What taxes, exactly, are 'ridiculous' ?? (I assume that you mean "it eats up a lot of money".)

You'd have to make a LOT of money for the difference in state income taxes to make much of a difference. It's the housing cost that's the real bear, and housing is not cheap around here - although it is not that difficult to find a 2 BR appt in a decent area for $2500 or less - $16K/yr. That means $60K/yr salary is easily do-able to live here comfortably.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
What taxes, exactly, are 'ridiculous' ?? (I assume that you mean "it eats up a lot of money".)

You'd have to make a LOT of money for the difference in state income taxes to make much of a difference. It's the housing cost that's the real bear, and housing is not cheap around here - although it is not that difficult to find a 2 BR appt in a decent area for $2500 or less - $16K/yr. That means $60K/yr salary is easily do-able to live here comfortably.
I agree that it's "worth it", that's why I'm still here - the Valley is an even better deal for as frugal of a person as me - I'm content with 250 Sq. Ft and no car. But the sales tax (almost 10%) and state tax (almost 10%) are crazy, particularly with how this state is doing. Also subtract another 10% due to COL. When I retire (a little less than 10 years from now) I definitely plan to get out. There's no reason to pay so much.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM

134 posts, read 255,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad
When I retire (a little less than 10 years from now) I definitely plan to get out.
Recent grad retiring in less than 10 years? Hmmm...

Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadaseri View Post
Recent grad retiring in less than 10 years? Hmmm...
The person lives a very minimalist lifestyle, and he or she probably makes well into 6 figures, I'm guessing he or she calculated it out to retire by 35, and have a 60 year retirement.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
what taxes, exactly, are 'ridiculous' ?? (i assume that you mean "it eats up a lot of money".)

you'd have to make a lot of money for the difference in state income taxes to make much of a difference. It's the housing cost that's the real bear, and housing is not cheap around here - although it is not that difficult to find a 2 br appt in a decent area for $2500 or less - $16k/yr. That means $60k/yr salary is easily do-able to live here comfortably.
$2500 * 12 = $30,000.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
You can use a cost of living calculator, to compare the costs of living between different areas of the country.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Example, you could take over 1/3rd less salary to live in Phoenix vs. Silicon Valley and still have the same standard of living.

When you use the median household income for a metro area, and adjust it for cost of living, you will find there are a lot of places that make more money than in the Silicon Valley and other areas of California with lower salaries.

List of Metro Areas By Cost Effectiveness (Adjusted Income) | True Cost - Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

Note that Silicon Valley is clear down to 25th place right behind San Francisco, well behind the major parts of Texas, through Phoenix AZ. The IT metro areas of Colorado, and Utah also beat out the Silicon Valley. And poor old Los Angeles is clear down at 49th place.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
The person lives a very minimalist lifestyle, and he or she probably makes well into 6 figures, I'm guessing he or she calculated it out to retire by 35, and have a 60 year retirement.
33 actually, and still in the 5 figures (at my current rate, I only need wage increases with inflation to retire at 33). It's really quite simple when you just don't need the things many people can't live without. I wouldn't even call myself minimalist - I still buy fast food at least weekly and am just starting to cook more. I take at least one international vacation a year, but I just don't need a car (doesn't interest me and I get along great without it). I have a number of expensive electronics.

Not buying expensive cars (or even better, biking to work) really saves a lot of money. But the biggest thing you can save on is living costs - I'm perfectly content with my small studio and save a TON living in it. My one issue when I leave the area will be finding a sufficiently small apartment - us Americans tend to hoard too much stuff! And no, you don't need to own a home to retire.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Well, looking at the income / COL ratio, there are definitely places with a higher ratio than the Bay Area. It all depends on which of the things that contribute to inflation here you'd be willing to give up. But you may gain other things we don't really have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose