Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:45 AM

540 posts, read 589,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
Stanford has housing that you should look in to. A PA degree will get you high 80's to start in the midwest, but up to 120K elsewhere with benefits. It is a good degree in very high demand, and it will pay off.
I contacted the University, they said PA program students aren't eligible for student housing unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I'd suggest looking in Santa Clara. If you DM me, I can give you the info for the apt bldg I used to manage in Santa Clara. I don't see that they have any apts listed on Craigslist right now, but you can keep checking with her. They are not fancy, but well located, and well maintained.

Really, anywhere in Santa Clara would be okay, except for one small strip on Lafayette St. If you google mapped it, you'd see that it's got a bunch of junk out front, and looks ghetto. Other than that small area, you really can't go wrong in Santa Clara. Very safe.

The area right next to Santa Clara University that is frat row, will be crazy noisy. That would be the few blocks on the south side of SCU. I'd also avoid that area.

But, for safe, cheaper apts in Santa Clara, you can use Craiglist. If you search on Craigslist using the search terms "SCU" or "Caltrain" you would be closer to the Caltrain station (there's one by SCU and one at Lawrence Expressway), you could take the Caltrain to Stanford.

Just doing a quick Craigslist for cheaper apts in Santa Clara, I think, specifically, these would be not fancy, but fine:

Beautifully landscaped building near SCU campus & Santana Row

This one is pricier but 2 blocks to Caltrain:

$400 Move In Bonus - Lots of Light - Large One Bedroom

If you guys think you could live in a studio together, you'd save a lot more money.

Anyway, search Craigslist for Santa Clara, just avoiding frat row and addresses on Lafayette north of El Camino. Feel free to DM me about any specific locations.

Congrats on your admission to Stanford!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:07 PM

424 posts, read 552,019 times
find out from the school where the rotations are held. the first year is mostly in the classroom, the second year you will be travelling around to the hospitals and clinics. get the tiniest place you can bear. You will be so incredibly busy for two years between studying and clinical rotations that you won't take up much space at home. Try and be somewhere close to culture so your wife will not be too lonely, it is a tough two years on the spouse. Also remember that the weather is very pleasant so you use the city as your backyard most of the year.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
find out from the school where the rotations are held. the first year is mostly in the classroom, the second year you will be travelling around to the hospitals and clinics. get the tiniest place you can bear. You will be so incredibly busy for two years between studying and clinical rotations that you won't take up much space at home. Try and be somewhere close to culture so your wife will not be too lonely, it is a tough two years on the spouse. Also remember that the weather is very pleasant so you use the city as your backyard most of the year.
You are absolutely right. I want to keep my wife as happy as possible. It's gonna be tough, but way worth it in the long run. Thanks for the advise!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd suggest looking in Santa Clara. If you DM me, I can give you the info for the apt bldg I used to manage in Santa Clara. I don't see that they have any apts listed on Craigslist right now, but you can keep checking with her. They are not fancy, but well located, and well maintained.

Really, anywhere in Santa Clara would be okay, except for one small strip on Lafayette St. If you google mapped it, you'd see that it's got a bunch of junk out front, and looks ghetto. Other than that small area, you really can't go wrong in Santa Clara. Very safe.

The area right next to Santa Clara University that is frat row, will be crazy noisy. That would be the few blocks on the south side of SCU. I'd also avoid that area.

But, for safe, cheaper apts in Santa Clara, you can use Craiglist. If you search on Craigslist using the search terms "SCU" or "Caltrain" you would be closer to the Caltrain station (there's one by SCU and one at Lawrence Expressway), you could take the Caltrain to Stanford.

Just doing a quick Craigslist for cheaper apts in Santa Clara, I think, specifically, these would be not fancy, but fine:

Beautifully landscaped building near SCU campus & Santana Row

This one is pricier but 2 blocks to Caltrain:

$400 Move In Bonus - Lots of Light - Large One Bedroom

If you guys think you could live in a studio together, you'd save a lot more money.

Anyway, search Craigslist for Santa Clara, just avoiding frat row and addresses on Lafayette north of El Camino. Feel free to DM me about any specific locations.

Congrats on your admission to Stanford!
Well I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm doing this research in the event that I actually do. Can't wait til the last minute..
Thank you for posting those rentals. They are both beautiful apartments, but a little more than we'd like to spend to be honest. The other issue is that we have a small dog, so pet friendly is a must. It makes things more difficult I know, but I'm sure there's gotta be something out there that would work for us. Public transportation to Stanford would be great for me. If you have any other suggestions please let us know. Your efforts are greatly appreciated! We are not opposed to a studio to lower the cost a bit.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Well I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm doing this research in the event that I actually do. Can't wait til the last minute..
Thank you for posting those rentals. They are both beautiful apartments, but a little more than we'd like to spend to be honest. The other issue is that we have a small dog, so pet friendly is a must. It makes things more difficult I know, but I'm sure there's gotta be something out there that would work for us. Public transportation to Stanford would be great for me. If you have any other suggestions please let us know. Your efforts are greatly appreciated! We are not opposed to a studio to lower the cost a bit.
You'll pay more for pet friendly nowadays because of the way the rental market has rebounded - landlords don't have to accept pets anymore. And so the ones that do, generally do so in order to be able to ask for a higher rent, and breed size is generally restricted.

Just use Craiglist and look for any studios along the Caltrain route between San Jose and Stanford. You can always come back here to ask about particular neighborhoods.

One area with pretty cheap studios is the area in downtown San Jose around the state college. It can be a little sketchy, so you'd have to watch yourselves if you went walking around after dark. And some can be a tad noisy, depending on the student population.

I don't know San Jose well, though, so maybe someone here can suggest a neighborhood along Cal-train farther south than downtown that would be quieter and safer.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You'll pay more for pet friendly nowadays because of the way the rental market has rebounded - landlords don't have to accept pets anymore. And so the ones that do, generally do so in order to be able to ask for a higher rent, and breed size is generally restricted.

Just use Craiglist and look for any studios along the Caltrain route between San Jose and Stanford. You can always come back here to ask about particular neighborhoods.

One area with pretty cheap studios is the area in downtown San Jose around the state college. It can be a little sketchy, so you'd have to watch yourselves if you went walking around after dark. And some can be a tad noisy, depending on the student population.

I don't know San Jose well, though, so maybe someone here can suggest a neighborhood along Cal-train farther south than downtown that would be quieter and safer.
Like I said.. the Woods are not as rowdy as downtown, though it's not perfect. And the real rub is that south of Tamien, you only get peak hour trains. If you're coming back late, you have to catch the 68 bus. As a neighborhood, that's about the low end of my comfort zone as far as the affordable/safe tradeoff. It's across the tracks from an area that's pretty sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose