Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
I'm sure that there are many people who bought a house, started a family, created a startup or accomplished other dreams without living in a dinky apartment in a bad part of town. It isn't a required experience.
I'm sure the OP is directing his opinions toward young folks with barely-adequate income. I don't get the sense that OP says when you move to the Bay Area you should live in a dump. If you have money then by all means go for what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Let us know where to send your medal.
Wow. What's with the hostility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 12:33 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Unless you're a workaholic or partyholic, you'll be looking for some semblance of a home to go back to every day. Home means different things to different people. As a young married couple, we stayed in a Daly City studio on a one-year lease and had no issues with sleeping and eating on the carpet. But after a summer with no sun, we sure did break the lease early to move south of Millbrae, the city-where-the-fog-stops, and we sure picked a nice apartment complex with pool and gym. Guess what - I have great memories of my time in Burlingame, and only bad memories of my time in Daly City, even though our rent steadily climbed up 50% over 2 years (late 2000 was insane that way). The cost differential between both towns was very much worth it. Life's not all about money, who wants to retire a rich and bitter person? For most people, I believe, the good things in life are what you experience (and where and with whom), as opposed to this expensive car or that expensive bottle of wine you eventually get to enjoy when you reach 50...

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Wow. What's with the hostility?
What hostility? OP wanted to let us know what a hero he is for living a virtuous life of poo-eating and believes that other people should know about his story so that they may also eat poo. I have a medal and possibly an award for him but need his address.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
What hostility? OP wanted to let us know what a hero he is for living a virtuous life of poo-eating and believes that other people should know about his story so that they may also eat poo. I have a medal and possibly an award for him but need his address.
Though OP lives a frugal style, I'm sure he doesn't go to such drama as eating poo like you say. Cut the guy a break

Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

424 posts, read 551,834 times
x

Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Though OP lives a frugal style, I'm sure he doesn't go to such drama as eating poo like you say. Cut the guy a break
Why? He came onto the site so he could pound his chest and try to feel better about his own circumstances and the fact that he was willing to sacrifice at a time in his life where others are feeling more entitled. Now I happen to agree with OP, but I didn't go onto a public forum about cities and create a post that had literally nothing to do with cities and everything to do with fishing for validation from the internet on some choices I had made. Or did you think OP was actually hoping to teach some kids some valuable lessons? He just wanted page after page of people going "yeah!" "you're right!" "the kids these days!" and it looks like he'll get it.

Perhaps I should send him two medals.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 26,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
Unless you're a workaholic or partyholic, you'll be looking for some semblance of a home to go back to every day. Home means different things to different people. As a young married couple, we stayed in a Daly City studio on a one-year lease and had no issues with sleeping and eating on the carpet. But after a summer with no sun, we sure did break the lease early to move south of Millbrae, the city-where-the-fog-stops, and we sure picked a nice apartment complex with pool and gym. Guess what - I have great memories of my time in Burlingame, and only bad memories of my time in Daly City, even though our rent steadily climbed up 50% over 2 years (late 2000 was insane that way). The cost differential between both towns was very much worth it. Life's not all about money, who wants to retire a rich and bitter person? For most people, I believe, the good things in life are what you experience (and where and with whom), as opposed to this expensive car or that expensive bottle of wine you eventually get to enjoy when you reach 50...
Yep it is all about choices that we make...I just see too many posts here about couples with kids not being able to afford to live in good areas...and they do sound very bitter and resentful.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnomFromBA View Post
Yep it is all about choices that we make...I just see too many posts here about couples with kids not being able to afford to live in good areas...and they do sound very bitter and resentful.
Bay Area and kids are incompatible for most.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:11 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnomFromBA View Post
point taken

Old 10-09-2014, 11:14 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Because cheaping out can actually be more expensive.

Safety alone is priceless, never mind the cost of replacing stolen belongings, medical bills, etc.

And dirt cheap places tend to be managed by slumlords. So prepare to pay for all repairs and maintenance yourself, of which there will be many, hence the low rent.

Then there's commute. My husband and I don't have a car, and we work in the city. Sure, living in Modesto may look cheap at first glance, but then the public transportation requires both Amtrak and BART at the very minimum. Modesto to BART would be $20 one way, $40 RT. Richmond BART to SF is approx $10 RT.

That's $50/day commute, and a time loss of 6 hours per day. That makes it at least $1000 more expensive to live in Modesto. Sure we can get a car, but that'll still cost more money than living somewhere closer to work/public transit, even if the Craigslist price tag looks cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose