Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM

112 posts, read 130,998 times

Advertisements

There was a time when San Jose was consistently rated as one of, or the "safest biggest city in the U.S." It will probably be many years if ever before our area receives that honor again, but our crime rate is still lower than in San Francisco and Oakland. Moving to another area, especially when raising a family, will most probably cost less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
San Jose also has the largest number of the oh-so-hip farmer's market in the South Bay, the largest public main library in Northern California, and home to the oldest public institution for higher education (SJSU, the founding university of CSU system and the originator of UCLA).

And I wouldn't just say San Jose has the most flea markets. I'll go even further by saying that we have the ONLY flea markets in the Bay Area

Ahh the days of rummaging through the Hillsdale flea market looking for cheap video games and antique junks....good times Until I had to work there
As I recall, DeAnza college has a Flea Market on Saturdays if you feel the need. I have been told flea markets are a good place to find stolen property.

Oldest, only means oldest not necessarily good:

San Jose State University's ranking in the 2015 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities (West), 38.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ose-state-1155

San Jose is attracting an increasing share of gang and drug issues making it a less desirable place for seniors. This thread is asking whether people are wanting to leave the Bay Area so when people no longer feel safe in their homes, they leave, unless they approve of the behavior.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Perhaps it is most per square mile.
San Jose is about four times the geographic area of San Francisco. You are claiming that San Jose has more than four times as many homeless people as San Francisco. On its face, that is an incredible claim.

Let's do some research:

According to hits close to the top of Google searches, San Francisco has about six and a half thousand homeless people and Santa Clara County has about seven and a half thousand homeless people. So much for that idea.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:36 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
San Jose is about four times the geographic area of San Francisco. You are claiming that San Jose has more than four times as many homeless people as San Francisco. On its face, that is an incredible claim.

Let's do some research:

According to hits close to the top of Google searches, San Francisco has about six and a half thousand homeless people and Santa Clara County has about seven and a half thousand homeless people. So much for that idea.
There really wasn't much of a point responding, it is easy to find out the homeless population in various cities using a search engine, such as Google. The same for land area, if you just look at the stats with the largest homeless population, New York City, you will find out that it has 59,000 homeless people, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2099150, NYC has a land area of 304.8 sq mi. San Jose has a homeless population of 4770: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/18821, and a land area of 179.97 sq mi.
You can also easily get the number for San Francisco, which is well known to have a much larger homeless population, 6433: http://www.sfgov3.org/modules/showdo...ocumentid=4819, and a land area of 46.87 sq mi

So NYC 59000 people /304.8 sq mi = 193.57 homeless people per sq mi.
San Jose 4770 people /180.0 sq mi = 26.5 homeless people per sq mi.
San Fran 6433 people /46.9 sq mi = 137.16 homeless people per sq mi.

So no, not even by a factor of 5 does San Jose have the most homeless people per square mile.

This was so obvious that it really shouldn't need a response. That is like trying to argue that the US has a bigger population than China, if a person is that ignorant you end up just falling into their trolling attempt.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
As I recall, DeAnza college has a Flea Market on Saturdays if you feel the need. I have been told flea markets are a good place to find stolen property.
Funny, I don't quite remember the last time I wake up on a Saturday and say to myself: "you know what, I'm gonna roll down to DeAnza and get meself some stolen properties!"

Other than that, a flea market is a swap meet, there are good people selling legitimate items and there are bad people selling stolen goods. It's the way it is for the past..oh...several thousand years.

Quote:

San Jose State University's ranking in the 2015 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities (West), 38.

San Jose State University | San Jose State | Best College | US News
Right, and reading closely you would see that it ranked #6 out of all the CSU system, below THE Cal Poly and the OTHER Cal Poly, and Chico State and Long Beach, and un-mentioned SDSU (which is in another tier due to them offering doctorate programs). In fact, I don't even know how Chico State and Long Beach beat out SJSU but it certainly is a testament to Chico's and LB's progress more so than any perceived decline in SJSU's rankings from previous years.

Here are some links to rankings for SJSU's programs:

Moving up in annual college rankings

The World's Best Engineering Schools - Business Insider

SJSU Design School Ranked Top 60 In The World, 2007. It's on page 42.

It's not an elite school by any means, but it certainly is a good school. But if you're looking for even more sophistication in the San Jose metro, there's always Santa Clara University, which ranked #2 on the link you posted, and then there's the Big Daddy itself, Stanford.

So yeah...the South Bay is sophisticated enough for most folks

Quote:
San Jose is attracting an increasing share of gang and drug issues making it a less desirable place for seniors. This thread is asking whether people are wanting to leave the Bay Area so when people no longer feel safe in their homes, they leave, unless they approve of the behavior.
This is true. Last I checked we had 32 homicides in 2014, a decrease of 25% from 2013's 44. But yeah...violence is increasing \sarc

San Jose is a rather large city. The fact that it posted less violent crimes and homicides than smaller-sized San Francisco and Oakland, meanwhile not exactly bursting at the brim with wealth, is probably something we should appreciate

Definitely things can always be better and we should not be satisfied with 32 homicides, but the fact that our city has generally remained a peaceful place is an amazing thing in and of itself, in spite of constrained budgets and police brouhaha.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 02-23-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 35,029 times
Live in the area for 12 years. Loved it. When we had our first kid, moved out for the same reasons. Moved to Raleigh-Durham NC area. Do I miss the SV? Yes sometimes. I am happy I made the move? Absolutely. Great place to raise a family. Visit other places, talk to people there, and if it feels right take the plunge.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Perhaps but a lot of engineers in the valley went there. That and Stanford. Frankly I don't think anyone cares where you got your Bachelor of Science in Computer Science...they would care more about the quality of code you turn out.

Stevie Nicks went to SJSU, you might have heard of her.

Others you may have heard of:

Ray Dolby (as in Dolby Digital)
Gorden Moore (founder of Intel, as in Moore's law)
Ed Oates (co-founder of Oracle)

Quote:
That's only certain areas. The worst area is probably East San Jose, at the King and Story intersection. If you're not around there you're fine. And even King and Story isn't exactly Somalia. It just has crime/gang issues. Far east San Jose (the foothills) is also a fine neighborhood.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 02-25-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
I will never move out of the Bay Area or Silicon Valley, it is my home, I grew up here.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

That's only certain areas. The worst area is probably East San Jose, at the King and Story intersection. If you're not around there you're fine. And even King and Story isn't exactly Somalia. It just has crime/gang issues. Far east San Jose (the foothills) is also a fine neighborhood.
Am down there at least once a week with our group tending to our garden at Emma Prusch Park. King/Story has become a pretty nice place to be in the daytime. A bit less so at night, perhaps, but much improved from a few years ago.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Am down there at least once a week with our group tending to our garden at Emma Prusch Park. King/Story has become a pretty nice place to be in the daytime. A bit less so at night, perhaps, but much improved from a few years ago.
Yeah, with the real estate market and the employment situation here in the valley, I don't think any area will stay truly bad for long. Less good patches, sure, but even places like East Palo Alto are starting to improve.

I know gentrification is a hot button issue, and a mixed blessing of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose