Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
A small percentage of Mountain View's water IS from local groundwater sources. Another 10% comes from the Santa Clara Valley Water District. SCVWD stores much their water in underground aquifers. Similarly, Sunnyvale pumps local groundwater and also purchases water from SCVWD, so they use groundwater from multiple sources too.

City of Mountain View - Our Water Sources

Environmental Services: Water

Let's just throw a bunch of statements out there without checking facts, and see what you can get people to believe.
3% ... I'm not sure where that 3% is used but it isn't the vast majority of residences. You can actually look at the map on that site to see where your water comes from. In most of Mountain View, it is SFPUC, which is Hetch Hetchy as I indicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 PM

112 posts, read 130,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Interesting chart! Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Mountain View and San Jose have all 7 marks checked. What would it take for the rest of the cities to do the same? Also I like that Hatch Hetchy is included in this chart, with the fewest marks.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
We have great good tasting tap water up here but we use a Pur filter anyway for the great flavor. It actually encourages us to drink more water.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:13 PM

34 posts, read 41,502 times
Thanks for all the replies. I am planning to buy a Brita Pitcher. In amazon i can see a bunch of them with different combinations. Does any one know any major functional difference(filtering different types of chemicals?). Or any usage difference(different types of filters?).

I am trying to figure out what is what before buying..

Brita Everyday - http://www.amazon.com/Brita-10-Cup-E...dp/B004GNGID0/ - $23 - 10 cup

Brita Grand - http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Grand-Wa.../dp/B00HEYJ088 - $28 - 10 cup

Brita Marina - Amazon.com: Brita Marina Water Filter Pitcher, White, 8 Cup: Faucet Mount Water Filters: Kitchen & Dining - $25 - 8 cup
Brita Riviera - http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Riviera-.../dp/B0000DBIKG - $32 - 8 cup
Brita Atlantis - Amazon.com: Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher, White, 6 Cup: Kitchen & Dining - $24 - 6 cup
Brita Stainless Steel - Amazon.com: Brita Stainless Steel Water Filter Pitcher, 8 Cup: Kitchen & Dining - $37 - 8 cup

Old 03-06-2015, 05:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I've been drinking water from the tap for the past four years. I use a Britta filter. It's fine. The vast majority (if not all) of these filters use carbon filtering. It removes taste. That's all it does. It does not remove harmful contaminants.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I've been drinking water from the tap for the past four years. I use a Britta filter. It's fine. The vast majority (if not all) of these filters use carbon filtering. It removes taste. That's all it does. It does not remove harmful contaminants.
Yes it does.

https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/

Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
This I highly doubt. Notice it says "reduces or removes", typical advertising mumbo-jumbo. The important questions: by how much does it "reduce" mercury or asbestos? Under what conditions does it fail to reduce these? Good luck finding the answers.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
This I highly doubt. Notice it says "reduces or removes", typical advertising mumbo-jumbo. The important questions: by how much does it "reduce" mercury or asbestos? Under what conditions does it fail to reduce these? Does it reduce them to safe levels that can be consumed? Good luck finding the answers.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 AM

124 posts, read 141,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Quote:

Does the Britta filter make brown tap water clear? My friend lives in Sunnyvale and she always complain about her brown tap water. She said filtered water business does very well in the southbay.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
Does the Britta filter make brown tap water clear? My friend lives in Sunnyvale and she always complain about her brown tap water. She said filtered water business does very well in the southbay.
I don't know. I've been living in Sunnyvale for four years and I've never seen brown water come out of the tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose