Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently relocated from Arizona to California and have been working in the semiconductor industry for about 4 years. My current salary is 91k Base. I am trying to understand if 91k with 4 years of experience is appropriate. Basically, I am trying to understand whether the HR duped me in some way.

They are giving me my promotion but not giving me any geo-differential.
I am slightly disappointed and might considering leaving my current company altogether.
Any kind of input on this is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:53 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Sounds reasonable to me, I don't think there is a huge salary jump just for living in the bay area. I make exactly the same in Denver as I did in Sunnyvale.

Use the compensation tools on the web:
Semiconductor Engineer Salary (United States)
Salary: Semiconductor Engineer | Glassdoor

Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 AM

29 posts, read 62,980 times
In general, $91K/yr base sal. for 4 yrs experience in semiconductor in San Jose, is reasonable.

However, there is variation depending on your function. Are you an FAE? a design engineer in a demanded field? a CAD engineer? a product engr? a test engr? a QA engr?
I assume you are an EE. Do you have an MS?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
I don't know about the semiconductor industry specifically, but in general, I can tell you... depending on how much family you're taking with you, $91K does not go far here at all. In software tech work, it's on the low side. I have senior analysts with less than 10 years experience working for me at over $115K, and even that isn't anything that much here. This is one of the most expensive spots of land on earth.

So if it's just you, you can do fine, especially if you use this as a stepping stone to jump around and work your way into an in-demand tech company (be warned, they'll expect you to work a ton of hours - this valley is run by workaholics). But if for instance you had a family of four and kids to put through school and wish to own a house... beware. A cheap fixer-upper home on the peninsula in a decent area (not great, not poor, just decent) can be around $1M.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 PM

173 posts, read 255,239 times
For 91K I'd show up a few days a week, though I've been doing this a while.

Our company didn't give raises this year, so I leave after lunch on Friday. 10% raise, given by me. Thank me, I'm welcome.

With only 4 years experience, 91k is not all that bad. I can assure you that you really don't know much. Sorry. Try again in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose