Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
Also you're incorrect - I would not be attacking a person asking for a white(r) community. Instead, I'd suggest Marin County, Burlingame, Pleasanton, Ukiah or Menlo Park. And maybe I'd be wrong - it's been a while since I've been to some of these places
I think it is the reference to living in an apartment community that is mostly or exclusively a certain ethnicity that got people riled up. That is very different, IMHO from asking about cities or neighborhoods that have a critical mass of people of a particular culture to provide amenities and cultural support (such as an Indian grocery store, which the OP also requested).

Quote:
Some of my son's Indian friends reside in apartment complexes with 90% Indian residency, with the odd Chinese, Israeli or Filipino. It makes sense to me why Indians, many of whom are here on short-term H1bs only, some of whom (esp. the non-working spouse) go through dramatic culture shock, would want to minimize that initial shock. It doesn't make them any less friendly and in my opinion less racist than you (evidenced by your use of the word) - certainly less judgmental.
We don't know if the OP is bringing a non-working spouse and this is why they want an "Indian apartment community." In fact, the OP's post is very confusing and sparse on details, which may be part of the reason for the backlash. They picked a random grab-bag of cities (if someone were to consider Pleasanton and Dublin, and then add a third option, Hayward wouldn't be the first that would come to mind). They provided no budget, and no background on who they are or what neighborhood requirements they have. They said they want to live near a BART station, but it's unclear why (obviously not for commuting if they are looking at Dublin or Pleasanton for a commute to Pleasanton, perhaps for commuting if living in Hayward).

I think it would help a lot if the OP would come back and provide more detail, but they may have been scared off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I think it is the reference to living in an apartment community that is mostly or exclusively a certain ethnicity that got people riled up. That is very different, IMHO from asking about cities or neighborhoods that have a critical mass of people of a particular culture to provide amenities and cultural support (such as an Indian grocery store, which the OP also requested).

We don't know if the OP is bringing a non-working spouse and this is why they want an "Indian apartment community." In fact, the OP's post is very confusing and sparse on details, which may be part of the reason for the backlash. They picked a random grab-bag of cities (if someone were to consider Pleasanton and Dublin, and then add a third option, Hayward wouldn't be the first that would come to mind). They provided no budget, and no background on who they are or what neighborhood requirements they have. They said they want to live near a BART station, but it's unclear why (obviously not for commuting if they are looking at Dublin or Pleasanton for a commute to Pleasanton, perhaps for commuting if living in Hayward).

I think it would help a lot if the OP would come back and provide more detail, but they may have been scared off.
Well said.

Maybe if the usual suspects would just calm the **** down and not jump to conclusions, that would be a better thing or outcome. In context, this isn't any different than Italian or Jewish or Chinese immigrants of the 19th century settling in Lower Manhattan because they had the support of other fellow compatriots and services that cater to them.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:36 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Another racist post. The fact that you have to call out an Indian community is appalling. If someone listed a "white community", that would not be allowed. What ever happened to diversity and integration?
dont worry trump is coming for a rescue
(poster of this post has no racial bias against anything and non white, he just wanted to emtertain the hell out of it)

Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I completely understand the OP wanting to find an area where other Indians live, particularly if he is married. Wives get lonely and if they have children they will want the support of people with a background similar to their own.

The best solution, IMHO, is for him to ask his HR representative to put him in contact with others of similar background. They (or their spouse) can help him locate appropriate housing and grocers. Keep in mind the fact that the diet of most Indians is very different than our own. Some employers with a lot of 'impats' actually have transition staff.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I stand behind everything I said in my previous posts.
You sure are getting worked up over this.
Maybe he's getting worked up because of your calling the original posting 'racist' in your previous reply. Have you ever lived in another country where the culture is significantly different from your native country? Maybe you should try putting yourself in the original poster's shoe.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiata View Post
Maybe he's getting worked up because of your calling the original posting 'racist' in your previous reply. Have you ever lived in another country where the culture is significantly different from your native country? Maybe you should try putting yourself in the original poster's shoe.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that I probably have much more experience in dealing with Indian people than you do. I happen to live in an area with a huge population of recent Indian transplants. In general, they tend to be very insular and like to stick with their own people...more so than many other cultures do. I've also been to India so I have personal experience there.

Indian people are constantly posting in this forum asking where to find "Indian neighborhoods" or "Indian apartments" or "Indian communities". There's a different way to go about it. Perhaps if they said something along the lines of "I'm concerned about culture shock or I'm worried about how to more easily transition into my new environment and I'd like to be able to connect with other Indian people", than many of us would be MUCH more helpful and understanding.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:03 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiata View Post
Maybe the op should have considered how different things are in another country before accepting a job there. Maybe they should have accepted the fact that things might be different than they were in India. Being that they say they are coming from Dallas just exactly how much of a shock is it coming to Ca?
I lived in a predominately white area so if i want to move to a similar area how is going to look if I say I want to live in an area that's mostly white, no asians, indians, hispanics, etc. You can bet I would get ripped on in about 30 seconds here.
It's not fair, it's got to go both ways. Either allow people to ask for areas with certain races or not allow it.
BTW I am not white, but I see that white people can't win either way.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
You know where there are tons of Indian apartments?

Bangalore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose