Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM

132 posts, read 230,700 times

Advertisements

My husband just got offered a job in San Jose. We are currently living in Santa Maria, 40 minutes south of San Luis Obispo. We need to live in Monterey County for schooling purposes and for affordabilty. A couple years ago, we were considering a job in Salinas, but we were concerned about the crime and apparent gang problem. Don't get me wrong...we are not living in Utopia here in Santa Maria. It has its share of gang and crime problems. But I would like to move some place safe. I am considering the Oak Road area off 154 or Prundale. But I also see rentals near Natividad Creek Park in Salinas. I think I remember the North part of Salinas as being that safe??? Any ideas on where to live in Monterey County that is easy access to San Jose? Also, what about commute times to North San Jose? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
San Jose is the largest city in Northern California, in both population and size. It's not a simple matter of how far it is from Salinas to SJ, you need to see which part of SJ you need to be in. It takes 15-20 minutes to drive through the City of San Jose using freeway alone.

From Salinas to southern border with SJ, it's about an hour, depends on how bad traffic gets around Gilroy/Morgan Hill. From southern SJ to northern SJ, add another 30-40 minutes. The moment your husband enters San Jose, he will be in heavy heavy traffic.

I would estimate about 1.5 hrs to 1hr45mins each direction for your husband. Unless you must work this job I wouldn't recommend it due to the commute distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose