Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:49 PM

133 posts, read 203,882 times

Advertisements

Hey,

So I posted this in the SF-Oakland forum as well (sorry mods, feel free to delete if you feel this is a duplicate)

Basically, I live in Brooklyn. My girlfriend lives in NYC area. She is from DC. I've always loved Bay Area/Silicon Valley, really want to move out west. GF wants to move to back to DC.

But she is willing to trial Bay Area/Silicon Valley. Her main issues is COL/$$ obviously.

Any areas around SJ/Silicon Valley that is comparable to DC suburbs (Bethesda/Potomac)?

What arguments can I present to her that make SJ/Silicon Valley >>> DC? Schools? Crime? Weather?

I really want to move out West!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
There are several cities on the Peninsula you would like.

Los Altos
Los Altos Hills
Palo Alto
Menlo Park
San Carlos
Belmont
Burlingame

Weather is mild year round. No snow, can get some 90-100 degree days in the summer but not too many (and humidity is low). Crime in any of the above cities shouldn't be an issue (nowhere is completely safe, of course). Schools have high average test scores, but that has more to do with the parents than the schools (I strongly recommend a private school even if you live in a city with a highly regarded public school).

Cost of living is insane. Just my $0.02, but I think moving out here is a reasonable thing to do only if at least one of these three things is true:

- You make at least $250K per year
- You have at least $2million cash for a house
- You work for a start up likely to go public and your options will be worth a few $million

You can get by on less, but it's a struggle, and IMO not worth it.

Last edited by jdhpa; 04-24-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 PM

133 posts, read 203,882 times
Thanks! Very helpful.

Yeah, we will be making combined >250K.

I guess my main issue is proving to her that SJ/Silicon Valley >>> DC, and worth the high COL.

BTW, whats the average home price in those areas, like Los Altos? 3500 square feet = 2 million?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Thanks! Very helpful.

Yeah, we will be making combined >250K.

I guess my main issue is proving to her that SJ/Silicon Valley >>> DC, and worth the high COL.

BTW, whats the average home price in those areas, like Los Altos? 3500 square feet = 2 million?
Not even close. The square footage is going to be a lot smaller, and the price is going to be higher. 3500 sq ft homes are going to be over $4.2m in Los Altos, and even more in Palo Alto. Frankly you don't need really large square footage because the weather is milder and pleasant year round.

In Palo Alto we are seeing 1600 square feet homes for $2.5 million.

Los Altos is less per square foot but the homes are somewhat larger.

Here's a sample listing in Los Altos:

https://deleonrealty.com/neighborhoo...los-altos-mls/

Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
DC and SV are quite different from the standpoint of both the cost of housing and employment market. SV is really for adventurers, DC for folks who deal well with structure. $250/yr in the Bay Area? Not enough to maintain the life style you would enjoy in DC for half the price. SV would be great for maybe 5 years (as I did in NYC in my youth) but when you want to start a family it won't meet your needs.

FYI my DD and family live in Los Altos.

The Bay Area isn't the only city on the west coast. What would work for the both of you depends on your skill set. Consider Seattle, Portland, San Diego.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 PM

$2million will get you an older, small, starter home in the cities I mentioned. They're still nice, and the neighborhoods are great, but you won't have a lot of closet space. Don't forget property taxes, which are high because the home prices are so high, if you're thinking about a mortgage.

I lived in the DC area many years ago. I would say the thing I consider the Bay area's advantage over DC is you can be outside a lot more: hiking, biking (to work if you want), skiing (Tahoe is probably 5 hours away), boating in the Bay. Lots of local parks in the towns, and national parks (Yosemite, Joshua Tree). The towns I mentioned have nice downtown areas with shops, restaurants, etc., that you can walk around and enjoy. You can be outside just about any time of year (again, there are seasons, they just aren't as extreme as DC). It's very casual dress out here, shorts / flops at work, etc.

The one thing I miss about DC is the live theater. There's some here, but nowhere near as much as DC.

The things you won't like about the Bay Area: Cost of living (especially housing), traffic (make sure you live close to work, interstates are long parking lots on week days), taxes, scheduling your life around avoiding traffic.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
The main selling point is the weather, but specifically the fact that it's not humid. DC is a steam bath.

You should bring her to visit in, oh, say August. Come straight from DC. Be in DC long enough that the steam bath effect has really sunk in good.

Then, fly out here. The difference will knock her socks off.

I lived in TN for 5 years and I'll never forget when I got off the plane, flying from the west coast where I'd always lived. It was literally like walking into a steam bath at a gym. You're immediately wet all over. Your hairdo is destroyed, as is your make-up.

Sure, you get used to it, or learn to tolerate it, if you're stuck there. But, when you move back to somewhere with a dry climate - it's like the angels sing.

She may not like the culture, though. But, if you want to make a positive impression, bring her straight from a miserable stretch of summer in DC.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 PM

93 posts, read 130,909 times
DC is for people who want to steal, BA is for people who want to create the future. 2MM can buy a decent (but old) place in prime Sunnyvale or Cupertino. Good neighborhood, good neighbors, good life.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 AM

11 posts, read 10,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
There are several cities on the Peninsula you would like.

Weather is mild year round. No snow, can get some 90-100 degree days in the summer but not too many (and humidity is low). Crime in any of the above cities shouldn't be an issue (nowhere is completely safe, of course). Schools have high average test scores, but that has more to do with the parents than the schools (I strongly recommend a private school even if you live in a city with a highly regarded public school).

You can get by on less, but it's a struggle, and IMO not worth it.
@jdhpa

what's the cost of private school like? I know some top private schools take you 30K a year, but how about other "ok" private schools you recommend?

I was thinking about buying a cheaper house with no good public schools around, and have my twin boys (3yrs) sent to private schools. In that case I don't need to live in places like Cupertino or Palo Alto, which are way to expensive. However having 2 kids spending 12 years in private schools still means a lot of money (500K to 700K).

Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHENY1978 View Post
@jdhpa

what's the cost of private school like? I know some top private schools take you 30K a year, but how about other "ok" private schools you recommend?

I was thinking about buying a cheaper house with no good public schools around, and have my twin boys (3yrs) sent to private schools. In that case I don't need to live in places like Cupertino or Palo Alto, which are way to expensive. However having 2 kids spending 12 years in private schools still means a lot of money (500K to 700K).
Unfortunately mine are in public school (one of the highly rated ones), which is why I recommend private schools. But once kids have friends in school they're reluctant to change.

The only private school I looked at closely was Halstrom Academy (on Stevens Creek, border between Cupertino and San Jose). All instruction is tutored, but they have a common area for between classes for homework and socializing. Since it's tutored they don't have to spend as much time in class, something like 18 hours per week I think. The tuition for that was $25k / year / child. So your estimate of $700k should be good, and in a more traditional class setting maybe it could be a little less. Halstrom has other sites too if Stevens Creek isn't convenient.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose