Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 AM

493 posts, read 636,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you moved down to San Diego with all these stereotypes already in your head then of course you're gonna notice them, fixate on them, and believe they are true. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and live in SD and I don't find the stereotypes down here any more true than the ones about the Bay Area. And when my friends come down here from the Bay Area with those stupid stereotypes stuck in their head that's all they notice b/c it's what they want to think b/c I don't notice it or feel the same way at all. When you move far away to a different place you gotta move with an open mind and not with stereotypes in your head.

Were you expecting exciting weather in a place known for year round sunshine and constant 70 degree weather? Some may call it boring but most call it ideal.

San Diegan's can't drive in the rain b/c they aren't used to it, but who cares b/c it rarely rains. If you liked rain why the hell would you move to SD?
Well, I'm sure people all over the country generalize that the bay area is full of smug hippy/yuppy types...which we know isn't true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM

323 posts, read 1,425,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Well, I'm sure people all over the country generalize that the bay area is full of smug hippy/yuppy types...which we know isn't true...
I'm sorry, is this another bay area we are talking about and not the san francisco bay area?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM

15 posts, read 66,276 times
Quote:
If you moved down to San Diego with all these stereotypes already in your head then of course you're gonna notice them, fixate on them, and believe they are true. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and live in SD and I don't find the stereotypes down here any more true than the ones about the Bay Area. And when my friends come down here from the Bay Area with those stupid stereotypes stuck in their head that's all they notice b/c it's what they want to think b/c I don't notice it or feel the same way at all. When you move far away to a different place you gotta move with an open mind and not with stereotypes in your head.

Were you expecting exciting weather in a place known for year round sunshine and constant 70 degree weather? Some may call it boring but most call it ideal.

San Diegan's can't drive in the rain b/c they aren't used to it, but who cares b/c it rarely rains. If you liked rain why the hell would you move to SD?

I think you got me wrong. First of all, I had no stereotypes in my head when I moved down here. Everyplace has it's plusses and minuses. I just happen to like the bay area better than I do down here. I outlined those reasons in my post.
In my view, which I'm entitled to voice in this forum, I agree with the common stereotypes that are percieved for this area. There's got to be a reason they were created in the first place, right. Probably because there is some truth to them. Of course I'm not implicating everyone in the area, just a lot of the people I have encountered in my 12 years here.
Oh, and as far as people drive down here, including L.A., raining or not: Crazy!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass9 View Post
I think you got me wrong. First of all, I had no stereotypes in my head when I moved down here. Everyplace has it's plusses and minuses. I just happen to like the bay area better than I do down here. I outlined those reasons in my post.
In my view, which I'm entitled to voice in this forum, I agree with the common stereotypes that are percieved for this area. There's got to be a reason they were created in the first place, right. Probably because there is some truth to them. Of course I'm not implicating everyone in the area, just a lot of the people I have encountered in my 12 years here.
Oh, and as far as people drive down here, including L.A., raining or not: Crazy!
mmmm, different experiences for different people I guess. Stereotypes do exist for a reason but they are generally gross generalizations. I see what some people mean about the stereotypes here but I also see what they mean about Bay Area stereotypes. Also if you grew up in San Jose area/Los Gatos then those people will always be closer to you than where you move elsewhere. Nothing can compare to where you grew up no matter how great it is in my opinion.

I love the drivers down here, I get so frustrated and annoyed when I am driving back in the Bay Area. I drive fast so I guess that is why I like it down here. The fast Lane is actually a FAST lane, unlike in the bay where its the same speed in all lanes and people actually comprehend that sign that says "slower traffic keep right", people down here are usually getting over to the right when you want to pass them unlike in the Bay where they are oblivious or think you should be driving the same speed as them. I drive fast and like driving, but I can see how some people would not like the drivers here. There are lot of NJ and Boston transplants, which from what I hear have the worst drivers so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited by sav858; 04-10-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 01:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
I'm sorry, is this another bay area we are talking about and not the san francisco bay area?

wow, can you actually not notice the smug in this post or was this a joke?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sure people all over the country generalize that the bay area is full of smug hippie types...which we know isn't true...
I agree.
Quote:
Well, I'm sure people all over the country generalize that the bay area is full of smug yuppie types...which we know isn't true...
I disagree.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 149,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass9 View Post

while the san diegan drivers may be 'crazy', at least they demonstrate some basic level of driving 'skill'. i'll take those crazy drivers any day over the slow, oblivious, sleep-deprived, clueless FOB's that clog the streets here.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz View Post
while the san diegan drivers may be 'crazy', at least they demonstrate some basic level of driving 'skill'. i'll take those crazy drivers any day over the slow, oblivious, sleep-deprived, clueless FOB's that clog the streets here.
Bay Area drivers are slow???? In what world?? I drive through the city and East Bay every day (commuting to Napa or Oakland), and people tailgate me when I'm going 80mph, for cryin' out loud! Maybe San Jose drivers are a bit slower, but I did live in EPA & attended SJSU, and never noticed that. As for the "fast lane" vs. "slow lane," I do agree that Bay Area drivers have no clue what that means... I usually cruise in the far left for my whole commute, just because it's easier & I'm going faster than most of the other drivers. But wow, I've never heard us described as slow! Try driving in Napa (where I work) someday, where they all drive like they're drunk and/or 100 years old - I swear there's wine in the air up here, LOL.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Is anyone else thinking of the South Park episode, where Kyle's family moves to SF?? There's a thick layer of smug over the city, and everyone smells their own farts & drives a Prius - LMAO.

YouTube - South Park Smug Cloud (a small clip from the episode)

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
There are lot of NJ and Boston transplants, which from what I hear have the worst drivers so maybe that has something to do with it.
Not sure about Jersey, but Boston drivers are terrible because they do things like double park for no reason; park in a traffic lane while they run into a store--or talk to someone on the street; make right-hand turns from the left lane, don't mind blocking traffic--but if you're the one blocking traffic then they will raise seven kinds of heck with you; they honk--at everything; they drive excessively fast down residential streets. Stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose