Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I was recruited by FB for the Menlo Park office and I’m considering relocating. Here’s my problem - I have a horse so I need a rural area within an hours distance from Menlo Park. I’m hoping to find a single family house to rent for around $2500. I’m single with 2 dogs but super private and not a fan of apartment living. Any suggestions? Am I looking for a unicorn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
There are stables in / around Menlo Park. I don't know what they cost, I'm sure it's extremely expensive. Anything on / near the peninsula will be extremely expensive. This is a great area to own a horse if money is no object.

A single family home near Menlo for $2500 either doesn't exist, or isn't anyplace you'd want to live. Rents for old, run down single family homes on postage stamp lots start around $5500 / month, don't be surprised if you end up paying $6500. You could probably find two FB employees to split a 3 bedroom house with. You don't want anything in East Palo Alto (a different town than Palo Alto), or Menlo Park east of 101 (where FB is).

Old 02-20-2019, 01:14 PM

353 posts, read 437,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1209 View Post
Am I looking for a unicorn?
In a word, yes.

To the west of Menlo Park is Woodside and Portola Valley which are very beautiful areas and as rural as you can get in bay area proper. I am sure there will be places to board your horse, (although not cheap) and there could be small cabin rentals/mother-in-law suites out that way.

However, your rent (even for a 400 sq ft cabin) will not 2,500$. More like $3,500 and up. You could try to look for places in a more rural/cheaper area like Scotts Valley, but you are then looking at a hellish commute.

You need to do some more investigating about what you can reasonably afford in an area that will accommodate your horse. Or resign to boarding your horse away from where you live and get use to apartment living or roommates. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:40 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
To the west of Menlo Park is Woodside and Portola Valley which are very beautiful areas and as rural as you can get in bay area proper. I am sure there will be places to board your horse, (although not cheap) and there could be small cabin rentals/mother-in-law suites out that way.
La Honda might be another option, but I'm not sure if they're zoned for horses... road is pretty tight & windy too, which is the trade-off for "rural living."

Quote:
You could try to look for places in a more rural/cheaper area like Scotts Valley, but you are then looking at a hellish commute.
Meh, it depends on their work hours. I commute from Scotts Valley to the Peninsula (not far from Menlo Park), and it only takes 30 minutes since I work odd hours. I rent a place there which is an in-law on one acre, feels secluded even though it's right near the highway, and I'm paying $1750/mo. So if you're not opposed to sharing the property, maybe look for something similar... a lot of folks out here rent in-laws or "granny cottages" to offset the mortgage costs, and also because there's more space to do so in Scotts Valley.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:46 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
*Re-reading the OP now, and I see you describe yourself as being "super private." So maybe an in-law or granny unit isn't ideal, but if it's any consolation, I hardly ever see or hear the other folks (a family of four). But that's the luck of the draw, as we work/keep completely opposite schedules.

Honestly, though, you'll have to adjust your expectations if you move here. Living alone in a SFH, especially somewhere with land for horses, just isn't going to happen with a $2500 budget. Were you hoping to actually have the horse ON your property? If not, is the cost of boarding factored separately from your rental budget? These details could make a big difference.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
My relatives used to live and own horses in Boulder Creek. I used to see SFH listings nearby for about $3K. Commute to areas by Menlo was a bit of a bear though, from what I recall. When I tagged along we were always around an hour or more.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,680 times
Santa Cruz Mountains from 35/92 juncture all the way to 35/9 juncture areas would work for commute, and remote. Even along the coast (with remote areas) between Granada and Pescadero would work for commute. I don't know about what places allow horses. If there is a tiny house for rent, you might get it near $3000, but availability of those are probably scarce.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Your work hours at FB will likely preclude using your horse weekdays. Board your horse about a 2-hour drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose