Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 04:46 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with a group of people that live in an area deciding they don't want it to get bigger? I'm open to but still neutral on the topic for us, but I understand his position.

Phoenix just ended issuing new housing permits. They realize they will not have enough water to support further growth.....because it's in a desert. It's possibly the most intelligent thing I've seen from a group of politicians in awhile.

At the end of the day, the government's primary function is for law and order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 07:39 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Send them all to Pelosi's house in Pacific Heights. Oh wait! Pelosi moved to Florida. Even she can't stand SF anymore.
She is not moving to Florida and did not purchase a mansion there.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2SH0GM

Beth Bourque of Southern Shore Properties, the listing broker for 429 South Beach Rd., confirmed to Reuters that Pelosi was not the buyer of the property.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,008 times
wtfbruuh

Old 11-20-2023, 12:55 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover20 View Post
"The richest 1 percent of Americans evade as much as $163 billion in taxes every year." - Robert Reich, Berkeley professor, former Secretary of Labor.

Imagine how many people this country could help with even a fraction of that money, were these overly entitled, self-absorbed pinheads not so calloused, greedy, and indifferent. These homeless people deserve much more consideration. The fact that they're homeless in the first place is a poor reflection on this society. There should be an endless amount of resources to help them, whatever the cause of their predicament. At the very least, they should have a place to stay, food to eat, a safe place they can rest comfortably, and resources to help them out. They shouldn't have to form these encampments.

The Bay Area is no better than any other area in this regard. Quite disappointing.
They shelter, defer, etc.

Reich likely calls it evading because he doesn't like it/doesn't approve of it, and doesn't think it should be allowed.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:16 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

"But there’s no need to worry about my thoughts. I’m probably just a bigot, or a misogynist, or poorly educated, or untraveled, or privileged, or whatever other “lesser-than” label open-minded and inclusive progressives like to use to describe suspected “deplorables” with whom they disagree. They’re all just so much smarter than the rest of us. Just ask one."

There are certain issues in our country, like illegal immigration, narcotics, homelessness, and pit bull dogs, where one half of the population is 100% disagrees with the other half, and nothing on earth would change their mind. No point in arguing. If you ask, I agree with the bolded text posted by "Spot", but my opinion doesn't matter here, or anywhere else. I just practice my typing because it helps delaying Alzheimer's.

As for the rich not paying enough taxes, even 1/10th of their taxes is a hell of a lot more than the poor smucks like me pay, so stop the whining. Every job I got came from a rich man and I'm grateful for all, they helped me when I needed it.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

You don’t like the idea of “hard working taxpayers [supporting people who have made bad choices]”? Well, we have that in common. I don’t either. But guess what, those among the homeless who are homeless because of bad choices are there, whether we approve of them or not. The question isn’t one of *approval* … the question is one of *management*. And persons who don’t understand that, frankly have no constitutionally legal solutions to offer. Go ahead: try some solutions on me.
One solution is drug and alcohol testing for any kind of government aid, SNAP or even access to soup kitchens. You need to be sober when you arrive to get food. You should also be required to apply for a certain number of jobs every week in order to get continued aid similar to if you’re on unemployment. If you’re unable to get employed you should be required to undergo some basic job training and given assistance on interviewing etc.

As you said elsewhere many of the homeless are off the streets within a year and struggle to pay for housing due to low wage jobs. That’s true, and the majority of these people live in their cars and seek shelters. The people shooting up and leaving their bloody syringes in the grass and defecating on sidewalks tend to be chronic homeless and many/most of these people are drug addicts or severely mentally ill. The most mentally ill should probably be allowed to be institutionalized but the remainder should be cut off from any and all aid until they’re sober. We used to put junkies in jail for a month or so to go through withdrawals involuntarily and clean up but CA stopped doing that recently.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:50 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
They belong where they came from. Do things legally and finish the wall and get Trump back
In the presidency. Problems solved.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:50 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
^^^ I would not have posted this had I read the thread title so I would appreciate it if a moderator
would just delete it. Please pardon my off topic post!

Old 11-27-2023, 09:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
She is not moving to Florida and did not purchase a mansion there.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2SH0GM

Beth Bourque of Southern Shore Properties, the listing broker for 429 South Beach Rd., confirmed to Reuters that Pelosi was not the buyer of the property.
Wow, are people really that desperate for fake news to bash CA and/or Pelosi?

Good catch.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:39 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
NIMBY much?9

You know they don't gather here by random default, right? So sending away the current groups won't solve the problem - it just makes room for new people. Compassion, empathy, and addressing policies that contribute, would be a much better plan of action. Or we could treat them like invasive cattle, if that makes you feel better.

Nope.

He lives in the Phoenix, AZ metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose