Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

Mysterious 'massive' black cat spotted again in Pleasanton hills - San Jose Mercury News

I have a first-hand experience. About 15 years ago, I went to the Anderson Park entrance on Holiday Drive in Morgan Hill. About a half-mile in, I spotted a large black animal walking through the brush. I've been something of a fanatic of big cats all my life, and I know what I saw that day. It was a panther. I never saw it again. I was reminded of this when a week ago, I heard from my parents that one of their neighbors called the police, because there was a panther taking a nap in their yard! They apparently came, confirmed the sighting, and then scared it off.

As the lady in the article says, it really is like seeing a yeti. I couldn't believe my eyes - they're not supposed to be here. But there's increasing evidence to show that they are indeed living on the fringes of society in the foothills.

Another black panther sighting - San Francisco wildlife | Examiner.com

This article notes that there were deer kills found in trees in the Las Trampas park in San Ramon. Mountain lions don't do that; that's a behavior of a true big cat like a leopard or panther.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times
Didn't the sightings just end up being a huge feral cat? Man-face?

http://fox40.com/2013/04/02/25-pound...mountain-lion/

Whoops - your's was panther, not mountain lion.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Didn't the sightings just end up being a huge feral cat? Man-face?

25-Pound Feral Cat, “Man Face,” Mistaken as Mountain Lion | KTXL FOX40

Whoops - your's was panther, not mountain lion.
Mountain lions are a known quantity. Jet-black panthers from the jungles of South America, not so much.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Mountain lions are a known quantity. Jet-black panthers from the jungles of South America, not so much.
Yes. Sometimes they get into built-up areas, which doesn't end well for the cats. A few years ago a mountain lion got into Palo Alto, near a school, and had to be shot because it was near too many people. It's probable that the cat used the drainage creeks running through PA to get from the hills into town.

More recently a few cougar kittens got into a residential backyard in Half Moon Bay and regrettably, also had to be destroyed.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Mysterious 'massive' black cat spotted again in Pleasanton hills - San Jose Mercury News

I have a first-hand experience. About 15 years ago, I went to the Anderson Park entrance on Holiday Drive in Morgan Hill. About a half-mile in, I spotted a large black animal walking through the brush. I've been something of a fanatic of big cats all my life, and I know what I saw that day. It was a panther. I never saw it again. I was reminded of this when a week ago, I heard from my parents that one of their neighbors called the police, because there was a panther taking a nap in their yard! They apparently came, confirmed the sighting, and then scared it off.

As the lady in the article says, it really is like seeing a yeti. I couldn't believe my eyes - they're not supposed to be here. But there's increasing evidence to show that they are indeed living on the fringes of society in the foothills.

Another black panther sighting - San Francisco wildlife | Examiner.com

This article notes that there were deer kills found in trees in the Las Trampas park in San Ramon. Mountain lions don't do that; that's a behavior of a true big cat like a leopard or panther.
Are you absolutely sure it was not a Black Bear? I've seen some Black Bears that were sort of skinny and were tall at the withers, not the squat and beefy looking form factor one normally thinks of. California subspecies have that tendency. The Black Bear range has essentially encroached on the Bay Area at this point, as the continent-wide range expansion proceeds apace.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Are you absolutely sure it was not a Black Bear? I've seen some Black Bears that were sort of skinny and were tall at the withers, not the squat and beefy looking form factor one normally thinks of. California subspecies have that tendency. The Black Bear range has essentially encroached on the Bay Area at this point, as the continent-wide range expansion proceeds apace.
The reason why I'm going to say is no is because I saw a long black tail. Bears have a short stubby one.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
The reason why I'm going to say is no is because I saw a long black tail. Bears have a short stubby one.
That definitely would rule out a bear.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That definitely would rule out a bear.
Probably rules out a sasquatch-on-all-fours too. Maybe a chupacabra.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM

128 posts, read 327,235 times
No, it was definitely a panther.

I seen "Panther" clearly tattooed on it's neck.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
About 38 yrs ago (1985 ) in the same general area, me and a friend of mine were traveling south on Hwy 101 out of Santa Clara (San Jose), and decided to stop off the side of the road about 20 miles out, in a very rural farmland area with a fairly dense brush/small tree path trail, somewhere in and around Morgan Hill and San Martin.

I kid you not! No drugs, no alcohol, no hallucinogens! no more than 10 minutes into the hike, and just coming down a small hill, an unbelievably huge black panther the size of a medium sized horse, with a back side that stood no less than an incredible 5 1/2 feet from the ground, and length wise, at least 9 feet (not including tail), suddenly appeared in front of us on the trail. All of us, including the huge Panther, instantly froze, looked at each other, and while both me and my friend stood their paralyzed with fear, as fast as you could say the word WTF (and simultaneously we did), the Panther took two large bounding leaps and instantly disappeared over the hill.

We waited a couple minutes and decided to head back to the car. I think we ran back.

I've shared this story with a few people since then, and many times looked it up on the internet, but could never find anything even close to the size of this beast. Not a single picture. The Cat was literally at least twice the size of any large Panther picture you'll ever see.

The only way to explain this, could have only been from the age of the animal, too quick to outwit hunters, and a dinner menu of well fed small farm animals, pets, deer, and livestock in the area.

If there are human giants, who's to say that in some very rare instances, animals aren't born with an over-production of growth hormones or some form of Gigantism?

The only way to believe this story, is if you saw it yourself. It's just too astronomically insane otherwise, but I know what I saw, and even had a witness. And what are the odds, to Google Search (on this day May 8, 2023) ”black panther seen in San Jose”, and then find a post with a very similar sighting in nearly the very same area?

Last edited by Robert Waltrip; 05-08-2023 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose