Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times

Advertisements

I've have "almost" nabbed an offer from a company in San Jose. I am currently living in NJ (can't afford here either) But there is NO way I can afford the prices of homes in the immediate San Jose surrounding areas. Can you please share where I could look, even if it meant commuting a long distance. Thank you so much.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I've have "almost" nabbed an offer from a company in San Jose. I am currently living in NJ (can't afford here either) But there is NO way I can afford the prices of homes in the immediate San Jose surrounding areas. Can you please share where I could look, even if it meant commuting a long distance. Thank you so much.

Nancy
You might consider Gilroy, which is about 30 miles south of San Jose... it used to be kind of a farming community, but it's really growing in popularity (due to high prices in SJ). I don't know the town too well, aside from the fact that it smells like garlic. They grow tons of it out there, and have a cool garlic festival every year! Anyway, it's still a bit cheaper than San Jose, though commuting won't be too much fun. Otherwise you can look into certain parts of San Jose, which are "les desireable" but not really dangerous... east San Jose, around highway 101 & the campus (SJSU) area are ones that might work. I currently live in a very cheap town, East Palo Alto, but you'd have to deal with regular shootings & crack-heads.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:58 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times
Default thanks gizmo

you live in E Palo Alto.....I didn't think that were ANY parts of Palo Alto that were cheap or bad!

what are the taxes like out there? Just an approximate if you will.

Like how much on a 250K house, etc.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
East Palo Alto is actually a pretty bad area. Don't confuse it with Palo Alto. EPA had like 30 murders last year, and it's only about 30,000 people. Palo Alto is a very nice area. Taxes are around 1% of assessed home value. Honestly you won't get anything for $250,000, even in Gilroy. Gilroy is almost as expensive as the San Jose area, and traffic on 101 North to San Jose is herrendous in the morning. You could probably rent the same thing in the San Jose area for the same price.

Honestly, to get anything reasonably priced you would have to go as far out as Los Banos. But it's very hot there, and the commute is worse than Gilroy.

Insider Tip: A friend of a friend sits on the city council in Los Banos, and they are supposed to be building a 6 lane highway through the mountains to San Jose. It is supposedly going to cut the commute down to 30-45 minutes from Los Banos to dt San Jose. When this happens, home value in Los Banos will increase substantailly. That is what I have heard. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:02 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
East Palo Alto is actually a pretty bad area. Don't confuse it with Palo Alto. EPA had like 30 murders last year, and it's only about 30,000 people.
Yup, he's right... except that we "only" had 16 murders last year, and the population is about 23,000. East Palo Alto is a separate city from Palo Alto, and they aren't even in the same county (EPA is San Mateo, PA is Santa Clara). We do sit right on top of them, but it's a whole different world! I moved here about 2 years ago, to save money during grad school... I get a terrific deal @ $900/mo. for a 2-bedroom place, and I've actually enjoyed my time here. But I definitely miss being able to walk safely at night, so my dog & I will be happy to move soon.

Oh, and he's also right about the prices, that $250K won't get you anything... you may have just picked it as a random number, but thought I'd warn you too! To get something decent within 100 miles, expect to pay upwards of $450K for a small house. I don't know anything about the taxes, since I'm nowhere near that stage (buying a home), but hopefully Luke gave you some accurate info. Also check on the MLS & Realtor sites, which should have some data on that stuff. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,950 times
Hi Everyone, I am looking to find details of a drilling operation currently underway in st Joachin valley Cal. The operator is Empyrean energy and the name of the drill site is Eagle north #1,adjacent to another existing well Mary Bellochi. I have shares in this company and am trying to obtain any up to date info on progress/developments. I would be very grateful for any news or contact info that anyone could supply, or suggested avenues of approach/enquiry. Thanks for your consideration .

Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 15,391 times
Nancy it depends on what you mean by affordable. You can buy a 2 bed, 1 bath condo for about $300,000 in some areas of San Jose and Santa Clara. Single family homes start, generally, at around $700,000. Cheaper housing can be found in moblile homes (half the cost of a condo but rent on the space might be $700 per month) or by driving a great distance. Prices are going to be about 10% cheaper in Gilroy, and possibly 20% cheaper in Hollister - but that is a brutal commute! Depending on where in San Jose you'll work, you could also consider the Santa Cruz Mountain communities (Redwood Estates, Holy City, Chemeketa Park) - they are a lot less expensive too but they are a specialty area. In the mountains you need to know about wells, septic tanks, private road agreements, brush clearance, fault lines, soil stability, etc. Or you could go further and push into Santa Cruz County for less expensive housing but again you'll have a monster commute.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,974 times
santa cruz county it's ridicously over price housing........ 650k and up

Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 112,246 times
I currently live in Hollister, the commute to San Jose is about an hour. Hollister is a great town if you have kids or want to raise kids here. We moved here because of it's small town feel and it's proximity to the beach, San Jose, San Francisco etc. It's in a great spot if you can handle the commute. I work in Gilroy- wouldn't want to live there, but it's nice to shop there as it's only 12 miles from Hollister (20 minutes). Morgan Hill is really nice for commuting to San Jose, but very hot! Hollister has a much better climate. Most people here don't have air conditioning. Morgan Hill and Gilroy also have more problems with gangs than Hollister does. With that said, all 3 are nice areas to live in. Morgan Hill is the most expensive, but closer to San Jose. Gilroy is larger, but schools aren't as good (although that might change next year with a new high school being built) Hollister is more of a home town feel, great park and rec programs, schools are pretty good, but farthest from San Jose. I would NOT do Los Banos for many reasons already mentioned. It's too far from San Jose too commute wise.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:35 PM

91 posts, read 140,376 times
Default Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

Nancy
How about Campbell or Santa Clara? Campbell would be where I'd start. Going to the East Bay, there's Milpitas and Fremont. You could go further South down to Gilroy, but then you'd be in the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose