Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times

Advertisements

That's just an indictment of Evergreen, isn't it? You just named other places in SJ that you frequented.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:57 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
That's just an indictment of Evergreen, isn't it? You just named other places in SJ that you frequented.
I used Evergreen as an example. I've lived in the Berryessa area and the Blossom Hill area as well (before Oakridge expanded) and it was pretty similar. Even the places I mentioned don't necessarily have a lot of good places to eat, just more than what we had near our house.

Overall, my point about SJ not having a lot of the attractions of other big cities its size still stands - it still seems more like a suburb of SF than a big city. You generally have to leave SJ to enjoy most of what the Bay Area has to offer - dining and nightlife being near the top of the list. Again, for those who don't care about that stuff or don't mind driving, it's not a big deal. It may sound picky, but having lived in an area that does have all that stuff it's easy to draw comparisons to a place that I found was lacking.

I just think the SJ growth plan was poor in that regard. When you come out to the Denver area, you see how most all parts of the metro area here have plenty of dining options, not just the downtown Denver area. Granted, most of the suburbs here are full of chain restaurants, but they are plentiful everywhere, not just in certain parts. You don't have to drive clear across town to get more options. It just seems like the growth plan was a bit better out here.

Don't get me wrong - growing up I thought SJ was great. Even my friends who thought it was the armpit of the Bay Area never rained on my parade. But as I got older I noticed more and more that it just wasn't that great for a lot of the things I enjoyed doing - in this case, dining out.

Whatever though - I've gone way off topic here on something that isn't all that important. My apologies.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Well, you're no different than most people who judge SJ by the fringe areas. Berryessa, Evergreen, Blossom, Hill...those could all be seperate burbs. Did you once go downtown, Japantown, Willow Glen, West San Carlos, etc? Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not a huge fan of those outer areas you mentioned. I grew up in Evergreen so I know it's pretty dull. However, just at Aborn and White I know of three good places to get a meal. It's nothing glamorous, but methinks you never did much research. San Jose will never hit you over the head.

And I don't see how San Francisco factors in. It's 50 miles away.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Yes, we went to all those places. The problem is, unless you live close to those areas, you might have to drive quite a ways to get there from the SJ suburbs. It's a lot different around here where we live now - much more convenient. I'd say 3/4 of SJ is lacking in dining options. But 1/4 of it is not all that bad.

Hey, that's fine if you don't agree with me. I expect a few others won't either. But some will know exactly where I'm coming from. It's difficult to show you what I mean unless you came out here and saw what I'm talking about. It sounds like you love SJ. Good for you. It just doesn't have what a lot of people would expect in a city its size. That's all I'm getting at.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM

I don't love SJ unconditionally. Like I said, I can relate on Evergreen and other outer regions of the valley. I believe you are viewing this purely as a ratio, though. I'm not sure how population affects your perception. If it had everything it does now but 300K fewer people, would anyone rag on it so much?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I don't love SJ unconditionally. Like I said, I can relate on Evergreen and other outer regions of the valley. I believe you are viewing this purely as a ratio, though. I'm not sure how population affects your perception. If it had everything it does now but 300K fewer people, would anyone rag on it so much?
I think so. But I guess that's just me. I don't think its a ratio thing with me. It's the number and quality of amenities, attractions, and conveniences for a city its size. Again, if you came out here, you'd see what I mean. But this is way off topic now though. SJ works for some people but not others. We can agree on that.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times

I don’t see that happening. The mentality of the majority of people in the Metro Detroit area is “if it’s broke, then don’t fix it.” I don’t mean to knock on my hometown, but you have a better chance to convince Osama Bin Laden that Western Democracy is very good then convincing Metro Detroit people that Rapid transit would help create jobs, ease traffic on the freeways as well bring visitors from our airport to the downtown area or shopping centers. I’m looking to find a place that makes bumper stickers to say, “Don’t like my driving, propose Mass Transit

Or too sticks with cars, a lot of Metro Detroit people have “Buy American” or “Out of Job yet? Keep buying foreign” But yet they put foreign oil in their car. It’s pretty comical.

So all in all just don’t have that mentality and everything should be fine.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Unfortunately, the car is home away from home for many Silicon Valley people. And just about nothing (sensible or otherwise) is likely to change that any time soon.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Just saw a story on NBC 11 where 1000 people showed up for 200 positions at a new Hotel/Spa in Menlo Park. Some of the on camera job seekers seemed to have advanced degrees

Do you think the valley can support a new Spa/Hotel?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
I argee it's a powerhouse if you define powerhouse by the number of corporate HQs we have here but we got a huge problem, and the job market with continue to be tight for a long time and the cost of living will continue to be skyhigh and we will continue to have a high tax structure on both individuals and corporations! That called anti-business and hurts economic growth, makes companies think twice with adding new jobs to the area! California Government Officials are the Blame
Yeah, I agree. SV and California have been in denial about the high costs here for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose