Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times

Advertisements

It's really a shame what has happened. I know many people who would never live anywhere else than California, specifically the Bay Area. I think this is overly rigid, and usually uninformed, but I do sympathize with folks who want to be near family, and in an urban area with millions of people that should be doable. But the numbers are hard.

I like the idea of exploring options and seeing if you get a comparable offer, before considering moving. Ultimately, your wife has to be willing to give it a go as well, finding out the nonstarters (say, Texas) would be valuable. Then again, for many Californians, the other 49 states are all nonstarters! You have my sympathies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,417,985 times
My parents are like sticks in the mud about staying here.

To their detriment.

An objective assessment of their situation would recommend against them staying here.

But they are old and stubborn, and addicted to the Mediterranean climate.

I fear they may run out of money if they live to 100.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM

19 posts, read 36,176 times
I was born and raised here in Nothern California, moved to the Bay Area in 1991, times have def. changed and so forth. I lived in TX for 5 years while I was in the Military. My girlfriend of 3 years is from TX ( San Antonio/El Paso) and moved to the Bay Area ounce i got out of the Service. I have a decent job and she has a retail job, its out of her job field so we all together are bring in a about 80,000.

She is not happy here in the Bay Area and talks about moving back to TX (Austin, San Antonio) So for the past month we have both been looking for jobs ect. I do agree that the Bay Area is not a place for a young couple to start out ect. We are 26/27

I would get a job lined up then bring it up to your wife. She should be understanding for it makes sense.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM

83 posts, read 228,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It's really a shame what has happened. I know many people who would never live anywhere else than California, specifically the Bay Area. I think this is overly rigid, and usually uninformed, but I do sympathize with folks who want to be near family, and in an urban area with millions of people that should be doable. But the numbers are hard.

I like the idea of exploring options and seeing if you get a comparable offer, before considering moving. Ultimately, your wife has to be willing to give it a go as well, finding out the nonstarters (say, Texas) would be valuable. Then again, for many Californians, the other 49 states are all nonstarters! You have my sympathies!
+1...
there ain't know place like California but gotta do what you gotta do...
we decided to take relo to TX as well...
lucky all my wife's family is in TX...
and plus exploring another part of states doesn't sound too bad...
if you don't like it than move back...

Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,284 times
We're in the same situation, young couple with a 1 year old. My wife makes $100,000 however we bought a house about 5 years ago, so we are now living paycheck to paycheck making the mortgage and property taxes. I've been looking for work and been doing the temp stuff as well.

I really want to move out of the area as I was born and raised here and just want to experience something different. My wife's whole family and her friends are here and she doesn't want to move especially with our young baby now. She's afraid of being alone and not making friends somewhere new.

I'll show her a house from time to time in Austin or Dallas and she'll be impressed, but she'll say no use having a nice house if you can't share it with anyone ... I suppose she's right ..

Good luck ... oh, look at Morgan Hill, I grew up there and rents are cheap out there right now ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose