Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
we're really just running debate drills now.
Defining 'laid-back' without bonghits? Absurd!

(If you want 'laid-back', it ain't hard to achieve, wherever you are. Dude)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 86,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
By definition: "Informal relaxed in style, character, or behavior; easy-going and unhurried"

In this case, a person who is not obsessed with the pursue of money, status & career. A laid back person doesn't want to keep up with the Joneses. In fact, a laid back person couldn't care less about what the Joneses are doing, where they live, what kind of car they drive, and where they vacation. A laid back person is not lazy; he or she just doesn't want to enter the rat-race of comparison & accumulation of material wealth. It is the attitude towards money as opposed to the fact of having or not having money. Does it make sense?
- Yes, there are laid-back areas with laid-back people in Silicon valley - they're called mobile home parks

Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 AM

73 posts, read 132,390 times
There are no laid back areas in SV. Look elsewhere.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Santa Cruz or Monterey. Although not in SJ we do get SV refugees communting into Monterey. And Santa Cruz has more of that laid back vibe you have described. I won't comment on how many residents enjoy the that funny green leafy plant. Thats a different discusssion.

I find Monterey pretty laid back. I moved from LA to CO to get away from the rat race. And CO was more laid back than LA. When I moved back to CA I picked Monterey because I like the vibe. While there is plenty of old money (Pebble Beach, Carmel, PG, Monterey) its not as flaunted as places like the SV, LA, etc... I think much of coastal CA is more that way (there are excpetions of course like La Jolla, Newport Beach, etc...). But people can have money without feeling the need to flash it around with the latest bling vehicles, etc.... And ppl living on a shoestring budgets aren't necessarily looked upon with as much scorn either.

Derek

Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 AM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Thank you Derek. That's exactly the type of response I was looking for.

I moved away from San Diego for the same reason, to get away from the rat-race. But one needs to work and the bay area does have a lot of jobs to offer, specially in our tech field. It is funny how some people just go the extra mile to show you their list of material possessions I can't stand it and I don't want my kids growing in this type of culture either. There's more to life than money, work and career! We are actually looking at several places outside SV, including Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Capitola, Aptos among others. Hopefully we'll find a pocket somewhere where people don't feel the need to constantly flash their possessions or talk about it all the time. That's another thing that drives me nuts! People asking money related questions to see how they pair up.

I am so glad we can work from mostly from home and go into SV just a few times a month. I think things are going to work out just fine. Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Thank you Derek. That's exactly the type of response I was looking for.

I moved away from San Diego for the same reason, to get away from the rat-race. But one needs to work and the bay area does have a lot of jobs to offer, specially in our tech field. It is funny how some people just go the extra mile to show you their list of material possessions I can't stand it and I don't want my kids growing in this type of culture either. There's more to life than money, work and career! We are actually looking at several places outside SV, including Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Capitola, Aptos among others. Hopefully we'll find a pocket somewhere where people don't feel the need to constantly flash their possessions or talk about it all the time. That's another thing that drives me nuts! People asking money related questions to see how they pair up.

I am so glad we can work from mostly from home and go into SV just a few times a month. I think things are going to work out just fine. Thanks again.
Glad to hear it. Yeah, we really enjoy raising our family in Monterey for similar reasons. Not to mention it is much more scenic, less crowded, rushed, dog-eat-dog, smoggy, etc... than life in the inland larger cities. We also have friends who are raising their family in Aptos and are happy there as well. Scotts Valley is a very nice community. If telecommunting options presented themselves and I needed to work on occasion in the SV then that is where I would live. Its close to SC but with a mountain/small town type feel and good schools.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-09-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 PM

52 posts, read 193,685 times
Half Moon Bay might fit the bill if you worked somewhere close on the peninsula, like San Mateo or Foster City.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
There's more to life than money, work and career! We are actually looking at several places outside SV, including Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Capitola, Aptos among others. Hopefully we'll find a pocket somewhere where people don't feel the need to constantly flash their possessions or talk about it all the time. That's another thing that drives me nuts! People asking money related questions to see how they pair up.
You definitely won't have such problems in Santa Cruz county.
And if you're thinking about the county, do consider Soquel as well.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Great, thank you!

What do you have to say about Fremont? Just trying to look at as many options as possible.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Great, thank you!

What do you have to say about Fremont? Just trying to look at as many options as possible.
me?
i'm not the one to ask but i definitely prefer to be as close to the coast as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose