Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe has 10X the population of Taos.
At around 7,000 in population, it's a stretch to even call Taos a small city, IMO?
You are gonna be much more limited with everything from groceries-to-nightlife in Taos compared to Santa Fe.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Santa Fe has 10X the population of Taos.
At around 7,000 in population, it's a stretch to even call Taos a small city, IMO?
You are gonna be much more limited with everything from groceries-to-nightlife in Taos compared to Santa Fe.

Steve
I get that. I've lived in many different sized cities and towns. The smallest one, was about 400 people. I did fine there. I guess I didn'treally mean city when I said that about Taos. I would consider it a small town. I think Santa Fe is probably a small city too, in comparison.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM

677 posts, read 835,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Well, I can tell you as a 22 year old Minnesotan that New Mexico is the most enchanting place I have ever been. I desperately want to move to Albuquerque or Santa Fe.
Do you care to elaborate? Could you please be a little more specific what you mean by "enchanting"? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM

44 posts, read 108,028 times
I can't speak for "gearedtowardssalad", but I think enchanting is a perfect word. It's a very different, almost magical place or state of mind. The beauty of the deserts and mountains get under your skin and you feel a sense of belonging. At least that's how I feel. :-)

Old 05-06-2012, 10:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Since it has not been mentioned yet, for those who where not aware the "Land of Enchantment" is the official nickname of the State of New Mexico...

Rich

Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM

475 posts, read 1,267,493 times
Santa Fe Association of Realtors recorded a small increase in prices for 2011. An additional increase since then

FHFA Housing Price Index recorded a very small decrease in prices for 2011. But that decrease is decreasing and might be gone with the next quarterly report. Unhappily HPI is the more accurate of the two reports and slower to come out. I doubt that it is out yet for first quarter 2012. If it is out I wll come back and post.

In the Pojoaque Valley, sales of the nicer homes were just about dead in 2011. A realtor has told me that they are up first quarter with the one short sale gone except for (we hope) bank approval. A fair number of nice homes are for sale in the valley and prices are not yet up. It might be a good time to look up here. The nicest people I have ever known are up here. Zero ethnic and class tension up here of long tradition. I don't want to say different about any other location. But if a community puts up a gate that keeps me out -- I kind of think, they don't want me in. We have a mix of housing here for the most part. You might live next door to someone richer or poorer. There is five hundred acre estate up here and they don't lock the gate. Others do. I don't.

A clue about Santa Fe housing prices is in GreaterSantaFe post. ABQ and other locations revive when their economies turn up. Santa Fe housing revives when the economies of other states turn up. We don't attract industries. We just hope to lure their top executives when they locate the business in ABQ. But nationwide our type of market is looking up. The prices of the nicer home will go up first.

Any realtors should correct me where I am wrong.

Last edited by Santa Fe; 05-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: correct error.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Home prices in Santa Fe County went up an average of 5.4% per square foot in March of this year compared to February, but compared to a year ago, the prices per sf are down 9.1%. Many of us Realtors think this may be seen in hindsight as the turn-around year for real estate in Santa Fe, but that might just mean the slide in prices is mostly over - not that they will necessarily rise. At this point price stability will be a good thing for both sellers and buyers.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:05 PM

306 posts, read 758,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
What in blazes is gong on this year? I can't tell you how many people I'm working with who are looking at moving here - um, let's see ...from Maryland, Washington,DC, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Texas and Oregon. Inventories are down in many parts of town by 20 - 25 % over a year ago, but they are starting to pick up a bit.
Job offers. Or the potential for living better on less like retirement or social security or whatever government limited-income you happen to have. So it's cost of living. And even though in Albuquerque I was told that Santa Fe is "expensive" that's relative. Albuquerque is dirt-cheap by some standards and you get what you pay for: a dodgy area where a single female wouldn't be safe.

In my case, as a San Franciscan with a New York teaching license in Math, what I found was that neither place was treated as "public enemy number one" in New Mexico like both usually are around the country and around the world. Most places I get picked on and tormented as much for where I'm "from" as for the color of my skin. But not there. There it was just the color of my skin (Albuquerque not the WHOLE STATE).

Old 06-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Do you care to elaborate? Could you please be a little more specific what you mean by "enchanting"? Thanks.
Part of "enchanting" even though when I was driving there I knew full well that in New York people had warned me that the "land of enchantment" could turn into what feels like the "land of entrapment" depending on where in it you went, was the feeling of almost RELIEF you get when you pass the welcome to New Mexico signs coming in from any of its neighboring states. Like a giant "whew!!" sort of feeling. You'll feel it when you get there from driving through any of the three states that surround it.

Provided, of course, you're not driving drunk.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Since it has not been mentioned yet, for those who where not aware the "Land of Enchantment" is the official nickname of the State of New Mexico...

Rich
It's what is says on the license plates, which I hope to be getting some of soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe