Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_gal View Post
I am going to point out some facts & experiences that are at odds with the other people who responded here. I moved here with my family almost two years ago. At first I loved it. That rapidly started to change, particularly after the first murder on my street. If you live on the East Side, it's all good. REALLY GOOD in fact. However, if you live anywhere else, well, do so at your own risk.

I have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen such rampant hard core drug abuse as when I moved here. It's generational. I've seen grandma, mom and her kids all hooked on heroin. Go figure what happens to those families. It's a hot mess on every single level. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen the kind of crime I've seen here. (Fueled by the RAMPANT drug use.) First a murder about half a mile from my house (and I live in a fancy neighborhood in the HISTORIC DISTRICT). Then I go to the pharmacy and the pharmacy is ROBBED while I am shopping. Then ANOTHER MURDER half a mile from my home. The lady next door had her kids taken away because of drug use, then our back wall started getting graffiti -REPEATEDLY, then my other neighbor started getting public drunk and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital oh, about eight or ten times, then my other neighbor's car was stolen in broad daylight, then the THIRD MURDER happened about half a mile from my house. Then robbers broke into two of my neighbor's houses, again, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and had all their stuff stolen. Then more than $1,000 cash was stolen from my own family. My OTHER neighbor got t-boned in BROAD DAYLIGHT by a drunk driver. Her car was trashed, both arms were broken and she was a mess. Then there was a shooting and a knifing one block to the east. Then my other neighbor (who was repeatedly calling 911 on her no good boyfriend - but always taking him back - got her children taken away). The gang problem is TERRIBLE. I will NOT go out to walk my dog at night. It is not safe, particularly in my neighborhood (again - historic district). None of the women I know in my area will go out side at night.

In addition to that there is a massive amount of very unfortunate homeless people in this SMALL town. A HUGELY DISPROPORTIONATE number of homeless. It is impossible to go to the grocery store or to the gas station in this town without being hit up for a little cash to "just get enough gas to get home." I have never in my life had so many people beg for money from me - every trip to the store I get hit up. In addition to all this the schools are HORRIBLE, only three make passing grades out of all the schools in this town - only three. So, if you have kids plan on being rich enough to buy into the right school zone or to afford private school because the schools are ****ty. The drop out rate is OVER 50%. My son's school is mediocre at best, but is the school of choice for the locals. Civic and community leaders transfer their kids to my son's school, which scores a grade no higher than a "C" yet no one is concerned. The apathy here is appalling.

So, yes, I am going to say that your friends were "indelicate" in their description of the "REAL" Santa Fe experience, but they were not far off the mark. This place is a depressing cesspool and that's kind of putting it delicately. The people are nice, but this place is a mess, a depressing mess.
Evidently every murder the whole city was done near your house. You sure a family member wasn't involved?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,635,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Evidently every murder the whole city was done near your house. You sure a family member wasn't involved?
So, is any of what she said true? Instead of making fun of it, can you say what you think was not true and what was?

Thanks!
OD

Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,064,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
So, is any of what she said true? Instead of making fun of it, can you say what you think was not true and what was?

Thanks!
OD
Considering that Santa Fe has about 7 murders per year on average and the person referred to 4 of them. Yet she has only been there for 2 years. That is not every. But a very large many of them over 2 years

The 2011 graduation rate was 56.5 percent. So, the statement of 'The drop out rate is OVER 50%' is false. It's not a good statistic by the statement is false.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Considering that Santa Fe has about 7 murders per year on average and the person referred to 4 of them. Yet she has only been there for 2 years. That is not every. But a very large many of them over 2 years

The 2011 graduation rate was 56.5 percent. So, the statement of 'The drop out rate is OVER 50%' is false. It's not a good statistic by the statement is false.
OK thanks, it's actually nice that someone would try and use facts. So, her post was all wrong or just the parts you referenced?

It would seem that the average graduation rate for the state of NM is 63% (http://www.governing.com/gov-data/hi...-by-state.html) so Santa Fe seems below the average. Any special reasons why?
Thanks!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Looks like there have been 73 murders in Santa Fe from 2000 to 2011 according to City-Data.com - Santa Fe

Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM

62 posts, read 175,824 times
We've been here for nine years. There are good and bad things about living here, but I kind of think it's that way everywhere, you know?

As for the crime stuff mentioned above: We don't live in the city (we live in Eldorado) so I know it's different, but it is very safe here. You don't have to be rich to live in a safe part of Santa Fe. We are pretty middle of the road, like many people out here, and are very happy with this area. My in laws live in town--the east side, but still in town--they have lived there longer than we have been here, and I have never heard a word about any sort of crime affecting them or their neighborhood, ever.

Maybe it's because we moved from a big city with a large homeless population (San Diego) but I just don't see SF as any worse. yes, people approach you in parking lots sometimes, but it doesn't happen every time I go to the store--not even close. yes, there are homeless; yes, there is drug use. But there is everywhere. Santa Fe isn't huge, but it is a city, with differing income levels and economic situations... none of that is surprising to me.

Now, the schools. I completely agree with the assessment that the public schools here are seriously sub par. My kids are in one of the top elementary schools in the district and while I think they are getting a good education now, we are concerned for the future. The public high schools have an abysmal graduation rate. If we are still here when my oldest gets to that age, we will likely enter the lottery for one of the charter schools, or send him to St. Mike's. I am definitely, definitely concerned with the poor education in this state. I grew up in Connecticut, which is known for its excellent schools, graduated from a public high school with something like a 98+% graduation rate...But even if I hadn't, I'd still be concerned with education in New Mexico.

but seriously, other than that, I just think SF is your average city. Yes, a lot of people move here with big dreams and maybe the crash to reality is a hard one. Poverty is high here--it is not a cheap place to live. But many cities aren't.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:01 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,064,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
OK thanks, it's actually nice that someone would try and use facts. So, her post was all wrong or just the parts you referenced?

It would seem that the average graduation rate for the state of NM is 63% (High School Graduation Rates by State) so Santa Fe seems below the average. Any special reasons why?
Thanks!
I don't live in Santa Fe though I do visit often as I have a lot of family there. Her experiences are not mine. I have never felt as though I am being pan handled every time I go anywhere in Santa Fe. Drug use is not good but I wouldn't say it is rampant in my experience. None of the females I know worry about walking their dogs in the evenings. I also don't feel as if there is a DISPROPORTIONATE amount of homeless. Her post didn't really have any facts. They may well be her experiences but they don't line up with mine nor the dozens and dozens of people I know that live in SF.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM

974 posts, read 2,345,216 times
The latest homeless stats I could find were from the NM Coalition to End Homelessness. According to them about 2% of the city's population was homeless in 2007. I don't know if that's considered by sf_gal as "rampant homelessness". I will say that I wish all involuntary homelessness would be eliminated. Having worked with this population in the past, I know that some people choose to be homeless, that's why I used the term "involuntary".
As for schools, we've got kids graduating from our two public high schools going on to to top colleges and universities all over the country. Yes, the drop-out rate is unacceptably high. One of the reasons is that many of these kids come from poor families and need to start earning a living as soon as possible. We also have the second highest teen birth rate in the country and that, too, no doubt contributes to the low graduation rates. Just my thoughts…..

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
The latest homeless stats I could find were from the NM Coalition to End Homelessness. According to them about 2% of the city's population was homeless in 2007. I don't know if that's considered by sf_gal as "rampant homelessness". I will say that I wish all involuntary homelessness would be eliminated. Having worked with this population in the past, I know that some people choose to be homeless, that's why I used the term "involuntary".
As for schools, we've got kids graduating from our two public high schools going on to to top colleges and universities all over the country. Yes, the drop-out rate is unacceptably high. One of the reasons is that many of these kids come from poor families and need to start earning a living as soon as possible. We also have the second highest teen birth rate in the country and that, too, no doubt contributes to the low graduation rates. Just my thoughts…..
Thanks. This whole thread shows a lot of polarized opinions - it's like some people do not live in the same town

OD

Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,757,655 times
We've had a place on the high road above SF for decades.

Yes, there are rampant drug rings & some murders relating to that underbelly culture in northern NM.

I find this SF murder description sad yet rather typical:
"Investigators said Martinez was probably killed somewhere else before his body was left along the walking trail. Police said Martinez has a history of running with the wrong crowd and has a arrest history that includes violent crimes, drugs and robberies all over the country..."
Santa Fe Homicides Could Be Related, Police Say | KOAT Home - KOAT Home

Wasn't this murdered man later connected to that other robbery/murder in SF?

sf_gal would be smart to get out of her situation, since it obviously is not a happy one for her.

As for the schools, I think kids & parents whose emphasis is on education & learning can get a perfectly good education in SF & elsewhere in NM. However, there are plenty of kids who could care less & families where survival & *other things* are the focus, not education. Those who care less skew test scores & dropout rates.

Having been a NM teacher, I met many dedicated teachers who felt like they were knocking their heads against a brick wall with the lack of emphasis & respect for the educational process.

Read with your children. Make frequent trips to the library. Visit the children's & other SF museums with them. Visit the living pueblos & ancient ruins.

After 30 years of teaching & guidance counseling, the children whose families placed a focus upon education & supported education at home did well academically.

Some of you want to see SF as a black/white dichotomy; instead, it is a wide range of shades.

It's a relief that some of you will stay away as the traffic on Cerrillos won't get unbearable LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe