Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The newspapers are under no obligation to report crime... Some report more than others.

Perhaps you never looked at: The Santa Fe New Mexican: Police Notes it may not be everything...
That's where I looked. I wonder how they decide what to report.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM

159 posts, read 478,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
This proves that nothing really changes, lol...
As my French ancestors would say, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" / "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia B. View Post
As my French ancestors would say, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" / "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
A great quote. The French have been around longer than we have, and they speak from a lot more experience.
Would that we learn from our experiences!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
When I first came to northern new mexico in the 70's there was a lot of violence, drugs, territorial issues, even rape. So to me, it appears it has gotten so, so much better over the years. So much better!

I don't think we should scoff at the experiences & perceptions of others since Santa Fe is multi-faceted. Your experience is not everyone's. Their experiences are not yours.

I feel for those who have had negative experiences in Santa Fe. But it really doesn't surprise me.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM

306 posts, read 759,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Of course there is nepotism here in NM.... but it's everywhere! When I interviewed for teaching positions in schools on the Las Vegas side I was told by the administrator that he would love to hire me, but it could never happen. He told me that even an Albq hispanic would have a hard time getting a job- that the jobs would go to their own hometowners. But then I thought why shouldn't they provide the teacher openings to their own local kids!?
Wow, even Math?? I can save myself pen and ink and stamps, then!!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It's interesting (telling?) how this thread morphed from "hostile to educated newcomers" to "you have to be upper-class elite to fit in". It seems Santa Fe has a split personality. What it points out is that yes, there is a pronounced income disparity in Santa Fe. Different newcomers can be sensitive to one side or the other of the divide. Yes, there are old-timers who resent the newcomers and the changes that new money has brought in, and some newcomers are uncomfortable with the undercurrent of resentment. And there are some newcomers who perceive the influence of the elite class that has established itself here and are uncomfortable with that. But I think most people in the middle manage to sidestep these tensions and get along just fine.

I don't know how JuniperRidge1 manages to pull Albuquerque into this, which I never before have heard described as elitist. Albuquerque is usually known for its lack of pretense. Because of Albuquerque's size, the few wealthy folks who live there do not stand out. Santa Fe is much smaller, yet has more ostentatious wealth than Albuquerque, a reputation as a Beverly Hills of the Southwest, with high-end enclaves scattered around including Las Campanas with its $90,000 golf course memberships and other excesses of the 1% that are not even dreamed of in Albuquerque. And those elements I do find offensive too, if I think about them, but I'm usually too busy enjoying Santa Fe's restaurants, atmosphere, culture, and nature to notice.

I don't deny or ignore that divisions and tensions do exist, but there is also a lot of overlap and hybridizing of cultures and ethnicities, a cross-section which I believe contains the majority of Santa Feans and is a space that is very rewarding to be part of.
So far I haven't been made to feel like "Choctaw Indian female public school high school Math teacher" constitutes the same unwelcome out-of-towner status as, say, "Nob Hill or Park Avenue "elite" white person with a lot of money to throw around to raise the price of real estate out of the reach of the natives," sort of thing.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
When I first came to northern new mexico in the 70's there was a lot of violence, drugs, territorial issues, even rape. So to me, it appears it has gotten so, so much better over the years. So much better!

I don't think we should scoff at the experiences & perceptions of others since Santa Fe is multi-faceted. Your experience is not everyone's. Their experiences are not yours.

I feel for those who have had negative experiences in Santa Fe. But it really doesn't surprise me.
Unfortunately from the "vibe" and the "feel" of the two times I've tried to live in Albuquerque I must say that all of those things seem to have migrated down to Albuquerque!! Santa Fe - I don't feel like locking myself in my room all the time and wishing I believed in carrying a gun. Just sayin'

Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_gal View Post
For perspective, the New Mexican just posted this article on the decrease in burglaries. They attribute this to higher rates of arrest for heroin. So, I will give the city some credit, they are moving in the right direction.

My states are the facts I have observed. And I have observed far more than I would have liked to when I moved to this place.

The fact is that the drug overdose rate in this area is the highest per capita in the nation. The schools are 49th out of 50 states. The fact is the drug problem is off the charts and crime follows drug use. Those are facts and when you come from a normal place and get smacked in the face with crime all around, it is indeed more than a little shocking.

Police cite decade's lowest burglary rate - The Santa Fe New Mexican: Local News
If you think that New Mexico's schools are 49 out of 50, as a Math teacher I'd sure like to see what yardstick you're using because you see, there are FIVE states which rank LOWER than New Mexico -- California, Nevada, Arizona, Louisiana and Mississippi. Or should I say, no wonder this state needs Math teachers - 49+5=50 states???

Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswagner View Post
Hi Everyone - My husband and I have been visiting Santa Fe for many years and are considering a relocation to Santa Fe in the next year. We have always found folks here friendly - which is a big part of the draw for us. We're looking for a sense of community and opportunities to get involved and feel a part of things. We met an older couple on our way here that had lived in Santa Fe for 10 years and currently live in Portland and were very surprised by their account of living in Santa Fe. They said that "educated white people" (sorry - direct quote) were treated poorly by locals and long-time residents and that it was a hostile enviornment to move to. They described an environment with Mexican gangs, feeling unsafe and high crime. We'd love to hear thoughts on their comments - it just didnt' fit for what we've experienced here over the last 15 years of visiting. Thanks!
Guess this original topic has been discussed enough, or maybe not enough...

This thread is closed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe