Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 AM

97 posts, read 155,452 times

Advertisements

I am flying into Santa Fe mid-October, and a friend and I are going to be visiting the pueblos in NM. I am a potter and am trying to learn and experience as much of the pottery in the area as I can. First I believe we are going to Abiguiu as I am interested in taking a later workshop there. Also another spot we want to visit is Zuni, NM, staying at a B&B there and taking a short workshop. We were there about six months ago and found the B&B. Has anyone stayed there? So, we are trying to fill in the blanks and I'm hoping for some good ideas. I fly out 10 days later. Sorry, actually, I'm flying into Albuquerque, not Santa Fe, but I posted here because I think Santa Fe is closer to Abiquiu, our first stop. Pottery is not our only interest, she does jewelry, beading, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Sorry I don't have any answers for you. You might want to give the Pueblo Cultural Center a call. They may be able to help you.

Welcome to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center

Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 AM

293 posts, read 971,413 times
The Taos Pueblo doesn't have much interesting pottery on display (north of Santa Fe), but the Acoma Pueblo does. It's definitely worth a visit and is not far from Zuni. I, too, would call the Pueblo Cultural Center, and plan a visit there. They have a museum with examples of pottery from all of the local pueblos.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! I need to call them, get some maps and plot the route. I've been to Acoma and it was great.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
Your best website, imho, is SantaFe.org. Click here to go straight to their page with links to the various pueblos. Each pueblo has their own distinctive pottery (although the lines are getting blurred) and one of our activities is to collect a sample from each pueblo - we've got some, but we're not finished yet. It's a great excuse (as if we need any) to visit our state's cultural heritage sites.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM

We visited several pueblos in April....my first time....and I fell in love. I'm hoping to be able to do a firing with some of the artists I met. That will be a long shot but we'll see. Have you ever been to Ghost Ranch? I'd like to take a workshop there. Thanks for the info/site.. I'll check it out!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeco View Post
Have you ever been to Ghost Ranch? I'd like to take a workshop there. Thanks for the info/site.. I'll check it out!
Every year I go to Ghost Ranch to the New Mexico Potters & Clay Artists workshop. Even when I moved away for five years I'd come back just for that. We camp--very nice campground. This year Jody Folwell, a Santa Clara potter is doing it. Should be lots of fun.

New Mexico Potters and Clay Artists - NMPCA 2013 Ghost Ranch Workshop

Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 83,710 times
Don't miss San Ildefonso, and if you go to Taos, go see the Millicent Rogers Museum with incredible Maria pottery.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 4,973 times
We live in Santa Fe and have friends in the various pueblos. The best pueblos to visit for pottery would be Acoma, Laguna, Santa Clara, San Ildefonso, Jemez and Zuni. Each has a very distinct style.

For jewelry visit Santa Domingo and Zuni pueblos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe