Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM

380 posts, read 654,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
So what? Its already out of reach for the average person. Nominations like this do NOTHING to change that, and will only help exacerbate it. More people with money (the kind who read Conde Nast) will come in, and finding it less expensive than the exclusive places they live now will help drive prices even further out of reach for the average chump. This is great for real estate agents of course, but bad for most people.
I am "the average person," and I can afford Santa Fe just fine. Perhaps the problem lies with your income, not with Santa Fe's cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:59 PM

5,724 posts, read 4,316,796 times
Housing in Santa Fe and surrounding area are above average for the US. Therefore, average housing is excessively expensive or out of reach for the AVERAGE person who works and lives on (IMO) New Mexico's sub-average wages. Many well educated government employees who work decent jobs (certainly qualifying as "average") in the capitol can not afford to live there, and commute from Albuquerque. I have talked to a bunch; almost all say the same thing. During my interview for a state job in Albuquerque the director of the division said I was welcome to live in Santa Fe, but joked "nobody can afford to live in Santa Fe". Of course that's an exaggeration, because people with a lot of money, or people who are willing to live in sub-average housing, or willing to throw their money down the toilet on rent are able to live there. It may not be impossible, but its hard for the average income person to survive there.

Anyway my point is that these "awards" are no reward at all to those average people they only drive prices up. They can be windfalls for people engaged in separating rich people from their money.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I am "the average person,"

I don't believe you.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 PM

380 posts, read 654,127 times
Quote:
I don't believe you.
Of course you don't, because it's a counterexample to your position.

Believe whatever you want. I'm here to tell the people reading this thread, however, that I am an average guy making an average salary, and I live in Santa Fe comfortably. I do not blow money on fast food, electronics, cars, alcohol, or daily restaurant meals, so maybe that's what separates me from the "average spendthrift." I wonder how many people who whine about not being able to live in Santa Fe also fritter away their money on the crap I listed above.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,276,102 times
Quote:

Believe whatever you want. I'm here to tell the people reading this thread, however, that I am an average guy making an average salary, and I live in Santa Fe comfortably. I do not blow money on fast food, electronics, cars, alcohol, or daily restaurant meals, so maybe that's what separates me from the "average spendthrift." I wonder how many people who whine about not being able to live in Santa Fe also fritter away their money on the crap I listed above.
Awesome and True! Good post!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Awesome and True! Good post!!!!
I agree - although I do tend to spend perhaps too much on electronics, cars, alcohol and the occasional restaurant meal........ tmi, huh?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
So what? Its already out of reach for the average person. Nominations like this do NOTHING to change that, and will only help exacerbate it. More people with money (the kind who read Conde Nast) will come in, and finding it less expensive than the exclusive places they live now will help drive prices even further out of reach for the average chump. This is great for real estate agents of course, but bad for most people.
We had no large sums of money. I am married and we had two children and we made it. We could live in Santa Fe now, but we prefer to stay in Rio Rancho.

Yes, Santa Fe has some expensive areas. Albuquerque has some $1,000,000 homes.

Except for Santa Fe, these are places we have lived and have owned a home:

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Santa Fe: 99.4 (near average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...#ixzz3H18o7jIi

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Albuquerque: 93.9 (less than average, U.S. average is 100) Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...#ixzz3H18ytqy8

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Rio Rancho: 94.1 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Rio-Ra...#ixzz3H19MB898

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Fort Lauderdale: 113.9 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...#ixzz3H19dCA9j

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Hollywood: 111.8 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Hollyw...#ixzz3H19piadE

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Westminster: 106.4 (more than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Westmi...#ixzz3H1A57NQ5

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Chambersburg: 92.6 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Chambe...#ixzz3H1ARy8mC

Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:

A counterexample hardly proves me wrong. How much is your salary?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Santa Fe: 99.4 (near average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Fe-New-Mexico.html#ixzz3H18o7jIi

This site says the cost of living is 120, with housing at 167, which I think is more accurate than the rosy picture some people want to paint.

Moderator cut: Sorry, links to competing sites not allowed

Why didn't you own a house in Santa Fe? What was your family income?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-24-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
This site says the cost of living is 120, with housing at 167, which I think is more accurate than the rosy picture some people want to paint.

Moderator cut: Sorry, links to competing sites not allowed

Why didn't you own a house in Santa Fe? What was your family income?
I got the statistics from City-Data, which is this site... You can believe whoever you wish. But you are not allowed to list certain sites. If you don't trust or believe me, check with Yac or Marka.

When we moved here in the 90's it was a promotion for my wife to a job in Albuquerque (ABQ) and that is why we bought a house in the ABQ area, not Santa Fe. I stayed behind for a while living in PA and working out of the DC area. Then we also bought in Rio Rancho as some family members followed us. I eventually started the 1,800 mile work commute to DC and other places from ABQ. I needed a major airport to fly out of. Contrary to what some say Santa Fe does not have a full service airport...

My family income? A bit nosey. It varied, calculate a Federal GS-11 with 10 years service in with benefits for my wife in 1998. I had a pension and I worked as a consultant earning "enough"...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-26-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe