Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

I lived in Santa Fe at the south end of Cerillos for several months in 2012 (or was it 2013) and dealing the the traffic is one of the more memorable bad experiences of my time in Santa Fe.

(My best experience was running down art walk with two cute chicks -- LH is a guy -- during a strong but warm monsoon storm! We got back to my car and had a great but wet dinner at a restaurant while the warm storm continued.)

I've always wondered, asked a few months ago, was told the project was still not complete. I'm just curious, did they ever finish the Cerillos road widening project?

IIRC I lived just off Cerillos about a couple miles south of Home Depot, near Albertson's market. Is there a Poppytrail or Poppy something market around there? Just north of that. Damn, I sure miss the roasted Hatch chilis!

To my mind, as a short term SF resident, Cerillos and one other major street (the one with Trader Joes on it?) were the two main North-South streets in Santa Fe, and I'm sorry to say that the mess on Cerillos was a significant factor in why I decided to not buy there and instead moved back to my birth state.

But here is my question: Did they ever fix Cerillos or is it still a mess? If they fixed it, when, and if it's still a mess, how is it going?

The mess of Cerillos was a major factor in why I decided to return to my home state instead of buying a house in Santa Fe. I was lucky to have a month-to-month rental when I lived there.

I do miss the place, particularly when the roasted Hatch chilis call....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
Happily the majority of the latest Cerrillos Road project seems to be completed. That's one road I try to stay off of whenever possible, but when I was on it about a week ago, the construction barricades were gone. What a nightmare!!! Luckily there are other roads that can get you south (and north) without having to go on Cerrillos, and that's what I've been taking.

St. Francis is the other major N-S road and there's now a project to construct an underground passageway for pedestrians and bikers so they don't have to cross the St. Francis/Cerrillos Road intersection on the surface road.

Nope, never heard of a Poppy-whatever market anywhere in town.

So c'mon back Lovehound. The traffic isn't all that bad - especially if you choose to live away from the major arterial roadway through town.....

Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
City of Santa Fe's Cerrillos Road Reconstruction Project. Phase I of this project, from Airport Road to Richards Avenue, is complete. Phase IIA of this project, from Richards Avenue to Cielo Court, was completed in 2009. Phase IIB from Cielo Court to Camino Carlos Rey was completed in 2011. Phase IIC runs from Camino Carlos Rey to Llano Street and is currently being constructed.

The Project Website is here: Cerrillos Road Reconstruction Project

Old 12-19-2016, 08:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Come on, I was there after 2011 and the street was a mess. It was a major reason I chose to abandon Santa Fe as my retirement home and I returned to L.A.

I had my dream house in you know, that beautiful development south of I-25, forgot the name now. If Santa Fe hadn't had worse traffic than Los Angeles I would probably be a NM resident now.

I can't understand how you dragged out the project so long. Must be a defective road improvement department or malfeasance in project management.

Hey, you guys didn't want me anyway. The last thing you wanted was another Californian moving to Santa Fe and hyping your housing values. I knew that even in 2013. I was reading posts even then about "Californians destroying our affordable property values."

You should be thankful I turned tail back to Los Angeles.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
I've got a son who lives in L.A. and he loves it there. I'm glad you're happy with your move back there.
Gotta say though that to say Santa Fe's housing prices are inflated when you're talking about L.A.'s real estate scene is kinda wild. And to say our traffic is worse than L.A.'s - really????? Now there are times I've been on Cerrillos, and you probably have a point there.
And I'll agree about our roads department. I look at it as "Your tax dollars at work."
Was that development south of I-25 called Rancho Viejo by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe