Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
What about King's Rest Court inn, Silver Saddle motel, or Cottonwood Court motel?
If Cottonwood Court is one of the ones that's on Cerrillos more-or-less across the street from the School for the Deaf, then yeah it's fine, you wouldn't have any problems staying there.
Quote:
I'm trying to find these trails you're talking about, but I would have to see them on a map.. Though, I'm not sure how I would get to any that are a ways out of town.
Take Hyde Park road (ARtist road) east for a couple miles to the "Dale Ball Trails - Sierra del Norte Trailhead" on the left-hand side of the road.

Maybe there's a bus going out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:31 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,168,553 times
There is a bus that goes up to the ski area - some trails off that road, and some from the top of the ski area. Really pretty hiking up there. Much different than the arroyos.

https://www.ncrtd.org/uploads/files/...3_29_18(1).pdf

Note - different schedule during ski season vs non- ski season, so take that into account if you go.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
When I'm visiting in Santa Fe, I've stayed several times at The Lodge at Santa Fe.

High up on a hill just on the outskirts of downtown-quite safe, clean, good ammenities. They have a courtesy shuttle where all you have to do is request a time to go downtown and they'll drop you off. Call the hotel and the courtesy shuttle will come pick you up.

Not very far away are the La Tierra Trail Loops - nice loops of all lengths, great views, safe.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:44 PM

182 posts, read 205,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Update us with a report of your trip when you are done!

So, I ended up staying at the Motel 6 near the plaza, the whole trip. It was more expensive and there were less single queen rooms available the last two days, I assume because of Easter. I didn't have any issues with the hotel, or anywhere else during my stay.
My first day, I walked around a bit in the area I was staying and had tacos from El Chile Toreado. I also took the bus to walmart to get travel size toiletries that I needed. I hadn't realized there was a plastic shopping bag ban..

I walked around downtown, by the plaza and even went on a tour, the second day. I also looked at a couple apartments and walked on the river trail, all the way to the end and back. I got sunburnt on my face (despite wearing a hat) and the back of my hands.

The last day I was pretty exhausted from walking the trail and I didn't want to go out in the sun, so I slept in late and got an umbrella from Dollar Tree and facial sun screen from Walgreens around 2PM, but then it got cloudy and I didn't end up needing to use the umbrella for shade. I walked around the plaza some more and looked at some very nice houses. I packed in the late evening and just stayed up for my shuttle ride and flight back home.

I had a nice time and overall I liked Santa Fe. However, there were a lot of homeless and potentially unscrupulous people around. The driving situation was a bit insane; lots of honking and people following closely. Traffic was heavier than I had expected and I had to be extremely cautious while crossing crosswalks. (I almost got hit from someone making a left turn at an intersection) I got asked for money a couple times and someone asked me if I could sell them a joint, but mostly I was left alone to walk around in peace.

The south and central areas seemed less safe, so I think if I were to move to SF, it would have to be in the north, near downtown and the only apartments I would want to rent have long waiting lists. I would consider living there for a while, but for now I'm going to keep looking at other places to rent in, later this year.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
walked on the river trail
What's this "river trail" you're talking about?

Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 AM

182 posts, read 205,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
What's this "river trail" you're talking about?
There's a sign that said "Santa Fe River Trail" somewhere. Also, you can google that and this will come up:

You can go to street view on Google maps and follow the trail the whole way.

Last edited by Hawaii900; 04-24-2019 at 01:41 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 04:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
So, I ended up staying at the Motel 6 near the plaza, the whole trip. It was more expensive and there were less single queen rooms available the last two days, I assume because of Easter. I didn't have any issues with the hotel, or anywhere else during my stay.
My first day, I walked around a bit in the area I was staying and had tacos from El Chile Toreado. I also took the bus to walmart to get travel size toiletries that I needed. I hadn't realized there was a plastic shopping bag ban..

I walked around downtown, by the plaza and even went on a tour, the second day. I also looked at a couple apartments and walked on the river trail, all the way to the end and back. I got sunburnt on my face (despite wearing a hat) and the back of my hands.

The last day I was pretty exhausted from walking the trail and I didn't want to go out in the sun, so I slept in late and got an umbrella from Dollar Tree and facial sun screen from Walgreens around 2PM, but then it got cloudy and I didn't end up needing to use the umbrella for shade. I walked around the plaza some more and looked at some very nice houses. I packed in the late evening and just stayed up for my shuttle ride and flight back home.

I had a nice time and overall I liked Santa Fe. However, there were a lot of homeless and potentially unscrupulous people around. The driving situation was a bit insane; lots of honking and people following closely. Traffic was heavier than I had expected and I had to be extremely cautious while crossing crosswalks. (I almost got hit from someone making a left turn at an intersection) I got asked for money a couple times and someone asked me if I could sell them a joint, but mostly I was left alone to walk around in peace.

The south and central areas seemed less safe, so I think if I were to move to SF, it would have to be in the north, near downtown and the only apartments I would want to rent have long waiting lists. I would consider living there for a while, but for now I'm going to keep looking at other places to rent in, later this year.

That is the one we stay at. Cheap, close to the plaza. Parking can be an issue, but we like the location.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Is there more to Santa Fe than the Plaza? I actually missed the whole town driving on 25 and had to turn around. The Plaza is nice but it's a two-hour affair, on the weekend.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:27 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,168,553 times
HappyRider - You missed skiing at Ski Santa Fe, hiking at Hyde Park, Canyon road art galleries, good food, etc.....

Old 05-02-2019, 08:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is there more to Santa Fe than the Plaza? I actually missed the whole town driving on 25 and had to turn around. The Plaza is nice but it's a two-hour affair, on the weekend.
There is more to Santa Fe then the plaza...

I do not know what "The Plaza is nice but it's a two-hour affair, on the weekend" means... To short a time, too long a time?

Everyone has different opinions.

We have lived in New Mexico 20 years this time, by choice because I had been here before, several times.

We live about 50 miles Southwest of Santa Fe.

These websites should help you determine what you can do:

https://santafe.com/first-25-things-to-do
https://travel.usnews.com/Santa_Fe_NM/Things_To_Do/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ew_Mexico.html
https://www.planetware.com/tourist-a...e-us-nm-sf.htm
Our favorite, which we take visitors to is the free bus to the top of Canyon Road and walk to the bottom and catch the free bus back on its path...

Good luck and welcome to New Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe