Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 03:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated by those Japanese koi fish ponds, although I've never had one. I love koi because they swim around placidly and gracefully and seem to just evoke peace and tranquility. I think a nice pond might have perhaps 50-60 of them but not too many to be crowded. I expect I would buy small ones to start out, because small are cheaper than big ones, and just let them grow into a nice size. I understand that if your fish get too big you can sell them back at some stores. The koi fish affect me almost like some kind of meditation, and ponds are very pretty and I'm sure they can fit into xeriscape type yards.

I'm near retiring and want to move to a nice place perhaps Santa Fe and I'm curious if SF is koi friendly, or how friendly and what stores there are. Tentatively it appears that there's one or more stores in Santa Fe that sells koi pond supplies (and other types of ponds) although not clear if they sell the fish too. (Santa Fe Water Gardens) Are there competing stores there? Reasonable supply of fish?

I'm curious if any of you Santa Fe resident C-D members have koi ponds. It seems that the climate is temperate enough for koi fish. They wouldn't endure freezing but apparently Santa Fe doesn't get that cold in winter, or perhaps you use a heater during the winter.

I note there are some bed & breakfasts advertising they have a koi pond. I found a SF vacation home rental with one. I'm sure they're not unknown in SF.

So please, if anybody has any pictures of Santa Fe koi pongs, please post them!!! And post your koi experiences.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Errata: not "pongs" ... "ponds"

No Santa Fe koi-mongers?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,789 times
https://www.santafewatergardens.com/Articles.asp?ID=122

- the Santa Fe Koi Club. I kid you not.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM

146 posts, read 453,208 times
I don't know if you have ever tried or do in fact do any fly fishing. But, if not you should! It is one of the most relaxing, peacful things you can do!!

:: High Desert Angler :: Home of Santa Fe and New Mexico Fly Fishing

Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Well keep in mind that the topic is koi ponds as in ornamental fish in your back yard pond, but I don't mind off topic since often the new topic is as interesting or sometimes more interesting than the OP, and anyway not much response although I'm still hoping. I might just have to move to S.F. and start my koi pond, and then take pictures and post them here at C-D.

Sure, I'm a sometimes fisherman, always fresh water, prefer streams, and use either live bait or lures and flies, but most often I use worms for bait and fish in streams. I'm not a major enthusiast but I do enjoy catchin' the little critters and then having a trout dinner in my campsite.

I'll check it out assuming I move to S.F. However, even if NM doesn't have any great trout fishing that's something I could live with, wouldn't be a deal breaker. I expect I'll always like camping (and fishing on my camping trips) and I already camp all over NM, AZ, UT and CO, so I'll range widely enough that I'm sure I'll find some nice fishing spots somewhere.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Lovehound - I was just on a realtors' tour today and one of the houses had a wonderful koi pond in the backyard. They looked healthy and happy.
Back when I lived in Placitas (north of Albuquerque about 20 miles; 6000 ft altitude) I had a large koi pond. It would freeze over the winter, but the fish survived very nicely and were swimming again as soon as the pond thawed out. I too find having a koi pond very therapeutic.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Thank you so much for your post GreatSantaFe!!!

I wish more people would understand how therapeutic koi ponds are. I visited a site here in Los Angeles, Descanso Gardens, who had a koi pond, and as I sat on a bench at the edge of the pond I felt so peaceful that all the hassles of life just melted off of me.

I don't how long I have left on this planet but if I have 10 years left I'm going to get into koi ponds and have my own before its too late. I want the pond near enough to my bedroom that I can have a fountain and hear the burbling water as I rest and sleep.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,683 times
Lovehound - You paint a beautiful picture. Enough dreaming - put it into reality!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 PM

Unless I come to an untimely demise I plan to. I don't want to put any more money into my present home unless it will translate into a higher selling price. The pond wouldn't do that IMO.

Once I move I plan to live wherever I plop the rest of my life. Selling value won't matter after that. I'll just do it because I want to do it, and damn the cost.

It looks like I can have koi in SF so if I move there it's a done deal.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM

146 posts, read 453,208 times
Lovehound,

Why don't you just list your current home now. Who cares if the market is slow! It only takes one person!!! If it sells great, if it does not sell, so what. Afterall, you are not planning on moving for three years anyway. But if it does sell, move to Santa Fe early and start enjoying your life!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe