Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I was mainly describing what I thought I had read at other posts at CD. Perhaps I should **** since it's third hand at best and maybe incorrect. I had understood there were some primarily Hispanic neighborhoods around SF and SF area.
If you mean an area in SF County or City where Hispanics are in the majority, then yes there are such areas. If you mean that Spanish is the dominant language and English will not suffice, then there are no such areas as far as I know unless there is some enclave of recent Mexican immigrants.

Just today I was in Espanola in Rio Arriba County -- clearly it is a predominantly Hispanic community. I saw hundreds of signs -- one was bi-lingual -- at Loews -- and maybe five-six in Spanish -- the names of stores or restaurants. Go into those restaurants -- the menus are in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
If you mean an area in SF County or City where Hispanics are in the majority, then yes there are such areas. If you mean that Spanish is the dominant language and English will not suffice, then there are no such areas as far as I know unless there is some enclave of recent Mexican immigrants.

Just today I was in Espanola in Rio Arriba County -- clearly it is a predominantly Hispanic community. I saw hundreds of signs -- one was bi-lingual -- at Loews -- and maybe five-six in Spanish -- the names of stores or restaurants. Go into those restaurants -- the menus are in English.
At the 3 local Loews stores here in the Wilkes-Barre, PA area, all the signs are bi-lingual, including the the product location and product name signs, even the hand written signs for the do-it-yourself teaching groups are bi-lingual! When I asked how many employees were bi-lingual at the Loews store nearest to me, I was meet with a strange look and a "None that I know of" answer!

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 07-13-2008 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Edit text.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Hola! I'm considering a move to the Santa Fe area within the next three years. In researching the area, I've learned that it is heavily Latino/Hispanic and that the Spanish language is widely spoken. I've been studying the Spanish language for several years and consider myself to be a low intermediate in written proficiency and a high beginner in spoken proficiency. Is Spanish considered to be an "everyday language" in the Santa Fe area and is Spanish necessary for cultural inclusion? Gracias. Hasta pronto!

I love northern new mexico, my family is mostly from there. Spanglish is the everyday language in the santa fe-espanola area

Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
You guys are missing the point of the question. The question was do you need to know Spanish to live here. That is an entirely different issue than whether it is nice to know Spanish, or whether it will make your time here more pleasant. Of course it is good to know other languages. I speak Russian, and if I were to move to a community that had people speaking Russian as a second language, I suppose I would engage in some Russian conversation with them.

The point is that you don't need to know Spanish at all to live here, and you won't experience any difficulty getting a job, renting an apartment, or going to the grocery store. I actually think the people who suffer here the most are those immigrants that live here for a long time and refuse to learn English. They are holding themselves and their families back.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:50 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Maybe you are missing the point of some of our posts.

I said several times you don't NEED to know Spanish to live here. It is just a nice asset to have as a resident here.

In fact, I don't see where anyone on the thread said you NEED to know Spanish to live here.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
In fact, I don't see where anyone on the thread said you NEED to know Spanish to live here.
Nor do I.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Well, glad we got that straightened out. It is a relief to me that I don't have to learn Spanish, cause I'm not about to.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Vinegaroon exclaimed:

> ... don't have to learn Spanish, cause I'm not about to.

Other than stuff like burrito, enchilada, margarita, and stuff like that, right?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Default another useful word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Vinegaroon exclaimed:

> ... don't have to learn Spanish, cause I'm not about to.

Other than stuff like burrito, enchilada, margarita, and stuff like that, right?
And we should probably know what menudo is, so we can make an informed decision about eating it.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM

70 posts, read 214,175 times
Im relocating to Zuni Pueblo to teach. I speak a little Spanish after studing for four years in high school many years ago. I spoke a little Spanish to a waitress in a resturant in Santa Fe. She smiled and said that I had a Philadelphia accent! Now I will be learning Zuni, and not Tewa. I wonder if they will understand my little bit of Navajo? Bacich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe