Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 7,066 times

Advertisements

Hi: I'm a musician and looking for a place to retire. I play in orchestras, and play church gigs and weddings, and have done a lot of composition, conducting, etc., my whole life. I also teach privately.

I'm wondering if Santa Fe would be a good place for me. I spend the majority of my time practicing and teaching (strings and piano, not loud or electronic music). For most of my adult life I've spent maybe 80% of the year, touring, living in hotel rooms, playing for bands and backup gigs, etc.

I'm getting older and want to settle down; I'm going to sell my house and make what I hope is one, final move. Moving to Santa Fe kind of scares me, though; I know I could find a lot of kindred spirits, but what if I tire of the adobe buildings, and what if it is too expensive? I have to find some place where I can teach, and practice without disturbing anyone (always a concern).

Your thoughts appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 AM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
I hesitate to advise someone on a big question like this. The best answer is rent and try it for a while.

I will say a few things about expense. People come here as tourists, spend time in the Plaza area -- where all the tourists go -- and then -- surprise -- are dismayed at how expensive it is. Fact is, if you get away from the tourists spots, then most things in Santa Fe are priced pretty much the same as anywhere else. A great deal of what we buy is sold through national distribution systems and cost pretty much the same everywhere. E.g., our Walmart charges the same prices as any other Walmart.

The exception is housing -- Santa Fe is more expensive than other places in New Mexico. But

1. Compared to places on the east and west coasts, it may seem a bargain, particularly when you consider all that Santa Fe has to offer.
2. Santa Fe has a lot of up-scale housing and prices escalate as you get closer to the plaza. If your housing desires are more modest and you decide there is no particular reason to live near the plaza, then housing is more reasonable. At one point on one of these threads, I demonstrated that a particular builder was selling virtually identical condos in Santa Fe and Albuquerque FOR THE SAME PRICE.

Will you get tired of the Santa Fe style of architecture? I don't know. I find it less wearing than what you see everywhere else in the US. Think about what the typical new house looks like in the US and maybe you'll appreciate the restraint of the flat roofed adobe.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:47 AM

88 posts, read 282,974 times
I agree with Devin. Just look at the high cost of where we live here in Austin to give you an idea of the cost of living downtown. Granted, it's not as expensive elsewhere in the city but it's still expensive to live here.

Austin Luxury Condos and Lofts For Lease

What you don't see in this website link are the various building cranes all over downtown, building yet more high rises every block. Yes, Austin is a beautiful place to live but it's also expensive to do anything around here. So, like many of us living here we're thinking of moving to Santa Fe. We're tired of seeing all the urban sprawl, endless construction and high prices. Did I mention the traffic. Just thinking about it makes me want to cringe. I'd rather move to Santa Fe and see all the beautiful adobe architecture and more open spaces. It would be like a "mental Advil" to me. Besides, if you get tired of the adobe houses, you can always hop on a train and go to Albuquerque or visit El Paso or other nearby areas where it's not as prevalent. Just my opinion.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default East Mountain

My Advice since im a Musician myself and have played for over 50 years that the East Mountain Area is where you need to be. Rent and Rent to Own and Explore the center of N.M. before you really Decide. You have Albuqueque and Santa Fe within a Half hour drive. Moriarty is my favorite place. el pintada kid

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
My Advice since im a Musician myself and have played for over 50 years that the East Mountain Area is where you need to be. Rent and Rent to Own and Explore the center of N.M. before you really Decide. You have Albuqueque and Santa Fe within a Half hour drive. Moriarty is my favorite place. el pintada kid
Oh kewl. What is Moriarty? What kind of music do you play? Personally, I would never bother buying a property. I think ownership is an illusion. At least for me. I don't judge what other people do or like doing. But that's the problem. Rents are so high, yes? I don't want to live in a slum.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:18 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default No Rap Or Opera

I dont like Rap or Opera but i can play most kinds of music and i play Spanish and Country equally well and although i dont know how to read music i taught myself to play since age 5 and now in my upper 50s i consider myself as good or better then the Best. As for owning land it is one of the Best investment especially in the areas i mentioned eveyone in my opinion should have a home to call their own. I prefer the places where the Smog and crime is not so bad and where theres plenty of Friendly people. el pintada kid

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,406 times
Moriarty is over an hour's drive from Santa Fe. If you are looking to be with like souls, I think you'll love SF. I know many musicians that live here. And between the Santa Fe Symphony, the Santa Fe Opera and the volunteer Santa Fe Community Orchestra there are tons of musicians in SF.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Best investment especially in the areas i mentioned eveyone in my opinion should have a home to call their own.
Well, I've done that and it's too much to take care of on my own. I'm going to go back to renting. The whole notion that you ever really own anything, I still maintain is an illusion, and an expensive one, as well. Home is where the kitty cat and the piano is. And if you don't own, you can always pick up and leave.

I guess another concern is the snobbishness or cliquishness I've heard about; but really, that is everywhere.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM

30 posts, read 82,148 times
I have owned a home somewhere for fourty years now and have to admit for the first time I am not sure if I want to purchase again on my next move. Owning ties you down and is alot of work. If I didnt own now I could move without first having to market and sell. With the market now I feel so stuck where I am because of the current real estate market. As I have mentioned I would like to try Santa Fe after my visit there earlier this year but I am tied down owning a home so maybe renting is the answer so the adventure could continue.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
Shhh, don't tell any of my fellow Realtors, but based on your hesitancy I'd advise you to rent first before deciding whether Santa Fe was right for you. Personally, I think it's a great town for artists of all kinds. I've met musicians of all stripes and they are amazed at the diversty of the live music scene. As Devin said in an earlier posting, housing prices are comparatively reasonable - especially if you don't insist on being within walking distance of the plaza or in one of the exclusive subdivisions.

But back to my original point. If you find the process of moving and buying property in a new place scary - then don't buy just yet. Rent and get a feel for the place first. Over the long term however, I'd advise purchasing over renting; not only purchasing make economic sense (again, in the long term) but renting doesn't (to me) give me the same sense of "home" that "my house" gives me (do I really want to get permission before I paint, change carpeting, put in new cabinets, landscape, etc?)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe