Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 AM

20 posts, read 37,934 times

Advertisements

Would you buy a foreclosure with cdw, at the right price ? just interested in peoples opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
i would buy one ONLY
1. if the price was soooo cheap that even after all remedial work i was well in pocket and
2. i intended to live there a long time

if you/I was thinking of flipping or moving quickly i think a lot of potential buyers would still be very negative and put off even if the remedial work was done profesionally

Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,408 times
At the right price, you bet.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Probably not. Remember CDW effects the plumbing, A/C, drywall, electrical, etc. Also for me I would disclose the home previously had CDW and was remediated. If the new family was OK with the situation, then fine. I knew of a situation where someone did this and they remediated the home and didn't disclose that it previously had CDW. Every time there was a showing the neighbors told the potential buyers that it previously had CDW and it took forever to sell and it sold for much less than what was anticipated. It's just a very dicey situation.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
no way...
there is no price so cheap that it would absolve the worry associated with something like CDW

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
I wouldn't-you can find something better. My husband and I just bought a foreclosure; and we unpolished a diamond in the rough. Many, many foreclosures require cosmetic work only. Sure there is work involved in all of them, but why buy a money pit? Especially when many of the problems with chinese drywall can be hidden as SoFlGal said. PLUS; if your house has it, chances are your neighbors do also. What kind of neighborhood will that be with chinese drywall and so many foreclosures or short sales? Just remember, go into a foreclosure with the notion that you wont have the house perfect for a year or so. Give yourself time. Good luck-my husband and I searched foreclosures and short sales for almost a year so let me know if I can be helpful : )

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Nope!! The laws have a chain of ownership clause that basically keep you in the mix. And with all the latent defects and potential health issues that can result, with lawyers today, you will likely get brought into a law suit down the road. That is the legal issue. You don't know what you don't know, so why expose yourself to that. There are way too many good deals out there to invest in. Why go through all the issues, especially when you really don't understand them all!? It makes no sense to me.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 37,934 times
i guess it would have to be incredibly cheap , to be worth the potential problems , ie remedial work and eventual resale problems !!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captlemons View Post
i guess it would have to be incredibly cheap , to be worth the potential problems , ie remedial work and eventual resale problems !!
Someone could GIVE me their house with CDW and I wouldn't take it! But that's just me

Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
no way...
there is no price so cheap that it would absolve the worry associated with something like CDW

+1

Absolutely not. The cost of remediation if it can truly be done is not worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area