Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 11:09 AM

21 posts, read 53,103 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are considering buying a house in Mill Creek/Country Creek next Summer and I could use some inside info on the neighborhood and area. Currently we live in North Port but my husband works in North Sarasota and our family lives in Sarasota/Tampa/Orlando so it makes more sense for us to be up there. We really want a house with a bit of land, but I would still like to be in a neighborhood for my kids. We drove through Mill Creek recently and really like it and houses in there are within our budget right now. I have researched the schools and it looks like it is in a good school district. Our kids are 3 and almost 6 so being in a good school district and a family friendly neighborhood is really important to us. I really would like to know everything about the area and this neighborhood that you think I need to know (good and bad). We have a great support system down here and lots of great friends/neighbors so I am nervous to start over again, but we are ready to settle down, hopefully for good.

-Do you have any good recommendations for a preschool/VPK for me? This is really important to me because the preschool he is at this year I LOVE and am nervous I won't be able to find a spot at a good place up there if we move next Summer. I may have to preregister him when VPK registration opens up in March even though we won't be buying until June.

-What is the HOA like for Mill Creek? Expensive dues? Intrusive? My husband drives a work truck home, will he be able to park it in the driveway?

-Is the neighborhood friendly/welcoming? Are there things for kids to do nearby? (Parks, Ballet lessons, soccer, etc.)

-What is the elementary school (Gene Witt) like? Secure? Do they encourage parent involvment?

-What is available in the neighborhood as far as Internet/Cable? Down here we have well water and DirecTV and wireless internet because we have no other options.

Sorry this is long and thank you for reading this if you got this far. We are looking at several different areas when the time comes to buy (stay here, Sarasota, or Lakewood Ranch/East Bradenton). I appreciate any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM

153 posts, read 287,980 times
We are looking at the same area, so I'll be watching this.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
[SIZE=3]Welcome future neighbor, I will try to answer your questions. My family and I live in Greyhawk Landing the community just west of Mill Creek. The local area is beautiful, filled with young families and offers many activities for young children. The schools are good and parents have several options that include Public, Charter, and Private, a good balance of choice. The community is located in East Manatee County and is conveniently positioned to be in driving distance to all that Florida has to offer. The area continues to grow even in this slow economy. There is no shortage of activities that would satisfy any interest. We have been living here for six years and have no negative things to report. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Last when researching your childcare needs please consider Smarty Pants Pre-School, We are family owned and have been serving the community since 2007; we are currently in the process of expanding and adding a Sarasota location to compliment our East Bradenton location. Please view our website smartypantschildren.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope this information was helpful. Good Luck[/SIZE]

Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
MILL CREEK ROCKS-- it was our first choice neighborhood- but just too far from our jobs. I have very good friends that live in Mill Creek and we visit frequently. The neighborhood is very friendly, lots of very social families. Halloween in that neighborhood is a blast-hayrides, bonfires and super friendly people! From what I know the HOA fees are low since there is no community pool, my friends have never complained of problems so Im going to say they pretty much keep to themselves. They have a few regulations to follow and don't seem to be intrusive at all, as long as you abide. As far as VPK, you are going to be a bit limited since you are looking so far east. However, some of the public schools have VPK-- Check Witt elementary which is your area school. Im thinking they have one. You would need to register as soon as you can since VPK is limited at schools. I think this would be the best option, and would probably best prepare your child for their education in the public school system if this is your route : ) There is also a private school located in West Bradenton, that is planning on expanding out that way. Bradenton Christian is opening (or maybe already has) a preschool in that area. It is private though and the free VPK doesnt apply as in public schools..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 AM

34 posts, read 132,124 times
we've been looking at the sarasota/venice area for a few years but am not familiar with Mill Creek. Where is it located?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet S. View Post
we've been looking at the sarasota/venice area for a few years but am not familiar with Mill Creek. Where is it located?
It's over around 17th Ave in Bradenton

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM

166 posts, read 370,141 times
Millcreek is a wonderful area. It is very family oriented. It is east of 75, off SR 64. Hop, skip and a jump from Lakewood Ranch shopping and amentities. There are several phases and most of the lots are 1/2 acre to 1 acre lots. Don't have kids so i'm not familiar with schools, daycare etc. However, In my opinion you can't go wrong with Millcreek, Greyhawk Landing, Panther Ridge, or Lakewood Ranch.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM

83 posts, read 178,937 times
We are building a home in Country Meadows...just up from Mill Creek. 1/2 acre lots, tile roofs, paver driveways. Low HOA $700 yr,no CDD's. I think they are going to build about 240 homes. Close to I-75,1/2 hr to the beaches. Prices start low $200's. We looked at a lot of homes, but decided to go new. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area