Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,905 times

Advertisements

Don't ask me why I am even asking, but does anyone think its possible that you can apply for a job in the area and because of your last name or because you might not look good ol boy american, that you can get denied for a job? I might have faced this I'm not sure.
I was also reading an article somewhere about blacks getting discriminated against (another state, but still could be here too) and it got me thinking or asking. It was like " Gee if they treat some blacks this way, I wonder what some might think of italians?". This is a right to work state as well, they can silently just not hire you for something stupid like that too I suppose. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:00 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Of course it's possible.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM

70 posts, read 217,055 times
It's possible, but uncommon. If you think one employer discriminated against you, there's a good chance they did, but you will never be able to prove it, and you will never know for certain. If you think multiple employers discriminated against you, the problem may be with your presentation of yourself.

With that said, employers who discriminate are hurting themselves, so you wouldn't want to work for them anyway, as with less profit, you would have less job security, and less potential for advancement.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePalms View Post
It's possible, but uncommon. If you think one employer discriminated against you, there's a good chance they did, but you will never be able to prove it, and you will never know for certain. If you think multiple employers discriminated against you, the problem may be with your presentation of yourself.

With that said, employers who discriminate are hurting themselves, so you wouldn't want to work for them anyway, as with less profit, you would have less job security, and less potential for advancement.

This is a good point and I do live by this. If I get rejected, I was never a fit is how I look at it. In a time where I am sure of myself, sometimes options weed themselves out and a job isn't always a "treasure to be kept". I have the mindset I will take any job in an economy, but even with that kind of thinking, I haven't landed much.
If you want to hear something funny, I got hired 4 times in FL and the managers who hired me are typically not what you will find in all stores.
Im gonna list manager 1, a black guy who was easy going and funny. He was a manager of a Peach's restaurant. 2, a tall guy in which I mighta reminded him of a younger version of himself since I am real tall too. 3, another tall guy who was like an ex hippie and still pretty much was, just older. I had longer hair too when he hired me. After he found I couldn't do ALL the duties the job required of me, he didn't keep me longer than the seasonal period.
I think a certain kind of manager will give me a chance is my point, but not many of these kinds around I dont think.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,168,302 times
If you live around us and your name ends in ski, grab the Stoli sit down and relax. You got the job lol.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
If you live around us and your name ends in ski, grab the Stoli sit down and relax. You got the job lol.

Yea see... I think its all to do with who manages.
Like I got interviewed at a Wal mart before. Didn't dress up for the interview, but I did have my hair combed back but my interviewer was like the typical type youd picture managing a Wal mart. No call back.
I got an interview at Publix recently. Its awfully possible I got charmed there too and the manager didn't like me. I mean they ask these questions like what are you about? what makes you stand out? and I answer truthfully like, I am creative, I like to write sometimes and stuff like that or I feel I've given good answers, but can't please everyone.

As far as that stoli thing, must be great if your a working class polish guy though, you can fit in easier in some places where more polish are. Whenever I get interviewers, I don't find many interview me from the east coast or Italian. I get a feeling I ran into floridian/midwest interviewers most of the time and they COULD be into Florida football or some other team.. just based on the vibe I could pick up.
This isn't just an issue in the black community, with us euro americans with east coast accents, I feel theres enough of it too. Some might tell me to go back home instead of complaning, but its not like I fully selected FL to live. I moved with parents and am trying to use the hand I got dealt pretty much.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM

I see someone gave me negative feedback and called this a stupid post. Come out whoever you are ! Talk to me and don't hide.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM

32 posts, read 43,440 times
this is sorta fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQW2t4SxvJ0

Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 PM

183 posts, read 534,337 times
c'mon! were all in the same position... I'm a young white professional with a BAA who doesn't get call-backs for minimum wage jobs! Currently working at Publix haha.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
It has happened but I don't know if it still goes on in this country. I wouldn't be suprised if it does. In the Northeast some decades ago it was very common to see signs in windows, and adds in the paper that read. Irish need not apply. My parents told me that some Irish, would try to change their last name to a neutral type name to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area