Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhmetta View Post
Thanks Big House and Peter the Brit! I just lost a 6 figure job today in Wisconsin. Really bummed. Your debate is making me smile though! I grew up in Orlando and haven't lived here since 1995. I want to come home. However, I am not sure about coming back to Orlando. I am pondering St. Aug. I am open though. I don't mind hearing the pluses and minuses from Real Estate agents. Generally, they are in the "know". What is crime like in both areas? Just curious.
Peter and I are both pretty long term posters, and occasionally we like to get after each other. He is a real estate agent, I am not. I like offer advice, and help people, and inject humor when I can.

Sorry about your job, that one will be a tough one to replace especially in these economic times.

I used to tell myself, "if I were broke, where would I rather be broke?" In the ice and snow, or on the beach somewhere warm. Heck, many people in the NE pay a fortune to go vacation on the islands where the locals are broke, and barely have running water. Kinda funny, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Sorry to hear about your job loss. We live in Wisconsin too, and it's better here (job-wise) than a lot of other places, but as you found out, even us 'sconnies are not immune to the economic downturn!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
Sorry about the job loss
Crime is much the same here as in Sarasota and not an issue unless you go to the wrong side of Jax.
The more I live here the more I see it is the change in seasons we have here including a constant breeze plus the historic buildings which makes me conclude I prefer it here. Also it is cheaper here !

Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM

28 posts, read 69,667 times
Well, I don't agree with Peter the Brit. I live in St. Johns county 30 minutes from St. Augustine. I do have a house on the Matanzas River close to Bridge of Lions. If you live in the City limits, you pay approx another 7 mils on taxes besides the St. Johns County approx. 15 mils. So depending upon where you live in Bradenton or Sarasota and where you live in "St. Augustine" can vary widely for millage rate.

Of course there are many other aspects to living cost. Location, type of house, utilities, etc.

Actually we are looking to move to Bradenton area.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 36,658 times
So here is a link to Florida Beach water quality as tested by the state of Florida.

Florida Healthy Beaches Program

Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I don't know either city that well, but have spent a little time in both.

St. Augustine is quite small. Filled with tons of tourists poking around looking at everything. It's also on the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida, which just isn't as pretty to me.

Sarasota has a much larger range of things to do. It also has tourists, but as it's bigger, so they have a lot more ground to try to cover. Mostly though, Sarasota is on the Gulf of Mexico side, which is just so much prettier, in my opinion.

On top of all that, I'd much rather be closer to Tampa Bay than Jacksonville any day.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know either city that well, but have spent a little time in both.

St. Augustine is quite small. Filled with tons of tourists poking around looking at everything. It's also on the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida, which just isn't as pretty to me.

Sarasota has a much larger range of things to do. It also has tourists, but as it's bigger, so they have a lot more ground to try to cover. Mostly though, Sarasota is on the Gulf of Mexico side, which is just so much prettier, in my opinion.

On top of all that, I'd much rather be closer to Tampa Bay than Jacksonville any day.
An old thread that I responded to before, but I don't mind agreeing with this again! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area