Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyageNYC View Post
This board is meant for FRIENDLY advice and information.
That was friendly advice, you just don't realize it. Moving somewhere with a small amount of cash, without a job, not self employed is a recipe for disaster.

I didn't say "don't move here your stupid".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM

59 posts, read 132,039 times
Like I said previously there were kinder words you could have used.

Living in NYC is not for a family anymore. Yes, Staten Island is the 'burbs of the city. But, it is getting more expensive by the day and the majority of people you see are "pill poppers". It is just not for some of us anymore.

Maybe the OP has a good amount of savings. I know that My Husband & I have been saving for the move to FL.

Anyhow, let's not argue amongst ourselves, Let's get back to providing info for the OP.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
So very tired of bursting other's bubbles; you want to move to Florida without a job, no worries but you might want to brush up on your outdoorsman skills should your residence turn from resort to camp life.

Just kidding/not really. How many times do we Floridians have to tell you that our jobless rate is around 30-40%??? This is inclusive of non counted people who are off unemployment as well as those not working on the books.

Have a job offer in hand or a year's worth of savings or a trust fund or a big check from Charlie Sheen when he's manic. If none of those, you're on your own & don't say we didn't warn you.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Living in NYC is not for a family anymore.
It depends where you live in the boroughs. Staten Island would have done much better if it had better road planning while the bridge was being put in. Probably better zoning would have helped it keep some its charm in the newer neighborhoods.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

59 posts, read 132,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
It depends where you live in the boroughs. Staten Island would have done much better if it had better road planning while the bridge was being put in. Probably better zoning would have helped it keep some its charm in the newer neighborhoods.

Agreed. Staten Island was a hot spot way back when. Now, sadly, it is becoming more of a wasteland despite the actual dump leaving! Schools have gone down the drain, as well as many residents.

I actually laugh when I see some of these people driving their Escalades and BMW's then pulling into an apartment. This is why many people do not have savings they are not living within their means. I do not want to sound judgemental because I certainly am not. It is that I do not wanting my children thinking that what you can show off makes you who you when it most certainly does not.

Life is what you make of it. To each his own.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM

19 posts, read 46,680 times
Thank you all so much for your time and advice. Your posts have made me so motivated to continue on my path to Florida. Yet the also make my mind race because they bring up tons of thoughts, hopes and more worries. Each day as I look around life on Staten Island only seems to get worse. It is dirty, many people are angry and seem aggrivated with their lives and there are not many things to do here that involve enjoying the outdoors and life in general. I am here because I worked hard to get where I am today and I'm terrified to let it go. Starting over is a tremendous risk at this time. However, if I stay here and buy a $400,000 shoebox on a garbage dump, I will always regret my decision. Moving to Florida is more than a huge quality of life improvement, it is a new life. I look forward to living closer to my family, working hard to become successful once again, buying a home, starting a family and enjoying the world around me. Yet, I do agree that the unions and benefits may never compare. At this point in my life, I believe a cut in pay may not be as bad as remaining here. I know it will be hard and quite frankly, this is the most difficult decision I have ever made. Yet, each time I visit my family I never want to return. Its really now or never. My dream is to make the move and be one of the people that say, leaving NY was the best move I ever made. NY will also hold a special place in my heart, however, I'd rather visit for a short period of time and enjoy the few things I'd miss. I love Broadway plays and I'd probably come back to visit the NYC around the holidays. And of course, most important I would miss my dad. But I feel its time for me to start my own life. My fiance has wanted to go for ten years , since his brother moved, and I never seriously considered it until about 3 years ago, when we began to rent and apartment here. The one promise I have to make myself is not to say I should have never left. I don't want to look back and dwell on what I had here. I want to motivate and work hard and also finally enjoy my free time as well.
I have received the ok to become Fl certified and I just need to send in my fingerprints. I am willing to travel to FL for job fairs and I will do everything I can to apply for positions online. Yet, it seems so hard to secure a position from so very far away. I am going to work as hard as I can to try to secure a position. If necessary, I would even have to consider taking a temporary position until I can obtain a teaching position. If we are motivated and dedicated to making sure we are successful, how could we fail, right???
What makes our move even tougher is our decision on where to live. Do we move to Florida and rent or buy? We have a down payment and would love to have a home. We feel as though renting for another year is equal to flushing more money down the toilet as we have for the past three years. We looked at some homes on our last visit. We were amazed by the quality of homes available in the Tampa Bay area, compared to Staten Island. We looked at land o lakes. But it seems a bit rural and further from my sister in Tampa Palms than I'd like to be. I like the area by Bruce B Downs. I like the urban atmosphere and I believe there may be more opportunity in the Tampa area for us than in Pinellas County. Yet we are having trouble finding a real estate agent that is honest and reliable and experienced with relocation. He showed us all short sales. If we are going to pay rent anyway, we figure we are better off paying the same amound or less to our own mortgage. Yet buying a home in addition to moving out of state, adds to the apprehension I feel.

It's such a tough decision, my mind is racing all the time. I know in my heart what I want to do. But as an intelligent professional who has worked so hard to make it to where I am, I can't help but be terrified. I am 100% positive I want to move there when I am there, yet when I come back home and am back to "reality" it seems like a world away. This is it, my year to make a change, I hope!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM

93 posts, read 150,347 times
dont overanalize it just do it,thats how we did it

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
Great advice^^^. Listen to it.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
Analyze, but do not over-analyze.

At the end of the day, based on what you're saying about your current environment, I would make it my MISSION IN LIFE to find a job down here ASAP.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
If... IF you can afford it...Stay in NY.
Lots of Northern folks move here Claim they like it..But dont.
They like it because their Husbands like it..Or their wives..
Like me I moved here because I couldnt stand the fact my family was going to be 1500 miles away.
I hate it.. I do have my family close by..So it's worth it..

Ironicly... the Family that we moved to be close to half of them ...Moved to NC

Last edited by Caligula1; 03-04-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area