Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 46,671 times

Advertisements

I wrote last year regarding my decision to possibly relocate to Florida and unfortunately spend another year renting an apartment in Staten Island NY. However, this summer I truly hope to follow through with my dream to move to Florida. We are not happy with our surroundings in NY. We would like to settle down and have a family. We have visitied Florida for the past several years and love the weather, people, outdoor activities, boating, homes, beaches and sites. My brother in law and sister both live in the Tampa Bay area. (Tampa Palms and Largo) We would love to live closer to them. I am a teacher in NYC and my fiance has been laid off as a carpenter here. I know I would be leaving a great job behind, but should I stay here forever just because of it? When in 20 years I know I will still be saying I wish I lived somewhere else.
We just got back from Florida yesterday. We met with a real estate agent and were thrilled to start our search. We began to look for homes in the Land o Lakes/ Wesley Chapel area. We would like to live close to both of our family members, but probably closer to Tampa. Does anyone have any advice regading the decision to move to the Tampa Bay area? We are looking for a home in the range of 150-200K. We were told we might find a nice home in the New Tampa area or Pasco county. We would like to buy a home in a nice neighborhood, with good schools, shopping, job opportunities, young families and reasonable taxes.
We are 30 years old and would be willing to be motivated to seek employment in any area as soon as we arrive. Any suggestions on where to begin our employment search? I understand I might need to be patient to find a position as a teacher. Any advice on securing a position in education? I read about the Hillsborough county job fair. Does anyone have any advice on attending the florida teacher job fairs?

Any advice on making the move a successful one?

I would greatly appeciate any advice from anyone who has relocated to Florida recently. I would love to hear some positive words of encouragement to make my decision a bit brighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

59 posts, read 132,034 times
Hello, We are also from Staten Island! We are so miserable on the Island. Tell me about it .. I feel like we are working towards nothing here, the rents are $1500+ for under 1000sq ft dwellings. It is sad. We want out of here ASAP! WE have looked into Richmond, VA, Raleigh, NC and a few areas of FL. Is Sarasota the only area you like?

I understand how you feel about leaving a job. We actually own a small business here but are willing to give it up and take a pay cut for a higher quality of life.

You can actually begin applying for teaching jobs through the department of Education. Many times they will let you at least SUB or give you a year to transfer your certification to Florida.

What area of SI are you in?

Feel free to private message me for further discussion.

I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by BonVoyageNYC; 02-28-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycac View Post
We are 30 years old and would be willing to be motivated to seek employment in any area as soon as we arrive.
In ANY state in ANY situation, unless you are self made, I would suggest you NOT move and then look for work. You got it backwards.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM

59 posts, read 132,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
In ANY state in ANY situation, unless you are self made, I would suggest you NOT move and then look for work. You got it backwards.

This board is meant for FRIENDLY advice and information.

Please keep in mind that the OP also asked for places to find employment. You could have suggested starting paperwork for licencure transfer or to look with the board of Ed, Career Builder, Monster, etc ..

I commend her on wanting a better life. In NYC is you are middle class, it is not for you anymore. In New York in order to live even comfortably you have to make 250,000 ++. As well as NYC is dropping 6k teacher right now! Take a look of Forbes, it is voted the WORST city for families. The OP wants to settle down and have a family.

Be flattered that she finds your area her slice of paradise.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
we moved down here a year ago from nj. did not really have a choice due to circumstances, long story. it has turned out to be a good move for us in many ways. we were very involved in our kids education back north as we are here. what we have found here is that the teachers are fantastic. they are more dedicated. everyone we have met here in the school has been helpful and very positive. i believe they really like their jobs and kids. its hard to fake the excitement they exhibit.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
The one scary story you will encounter here is the "I moved but had no idea how hard it would be to find a job" story.

You REALLY have to do something to lay the foundation for having work ASAP, or you could go months or even years without a paycheck, which most people cannot afford.

Having family in the area is a great start, because that is the other Big Complaint you hear--"isolation from friends and family."

All of this said, a move from Staten Island to the Gulf Coast of Florida is a HUGE quality of life improvement, in my opinion. I strongly suggest you take on FINDING a job as a second full-time job for the time being. I mean, work at it HARD.

Once you have that in place, I think you can move pretty confidently.

Lastly, have you considered St. Pete (or other Pinellas County towns)? You will have far more access to the best things in the area. From Wesley Chapel/Land O Lakes, you'll definitely be more at the mercy of having to plan pretty much everything. In St. Pete/Pinellas (or, to a lesser degree, New Tampa), you'll be able to do much more on a whim.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
This board is meant for FRIENDLY advice and information.
Actually REALITY advice goes alot further than friendly advice. I know of numerous proffesional people who left Florida and moved to mid-atlantic states. Why? Due to a lack of quality jobs. Giving someone links to a hiring process to a career that currently has had layoffs in nearly every state. And also has a layoff pool that they are working off of.

Living in NYC has always been a balancing act. Its no better or worse than it was twenty years ago when I transplanted out of NYC. Living almost anywhere south of Fredericksburg, VA is much easier on the body and soul. But the realty is the NYC paycheck does not exist outside of NYC. Reality is to prepare for a paycut. If she as a teacher wants to move than she needs to make herself more marketable to Florida. She has to speak/understand two additional languages: Haitian & Spanish.

She (sorry for the 3rd person typing) currently has a job as a teacher hopefully with the Bd of Ed. She currently has benefits. In this current economy stay where you are and educate yourself with skills that are transportable. Her fiance will not find work down here. He would be competing with the hispanic population. If he's in the union, pay those dues for the rest of your life no matter what and where you go. He has certain benefits that dont go away by not working as a carpenter. If he is really good with his hands then I would advise him to start a LLC like: Rent a Husband. And charge a reasonable rate where he can count on the quantity of work rather than be like the multitude of tradesman who try to make a mint on each job and have very few jobs to actually do.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM

132 posts, read 325,319 times
Default become a local

If you follow sports, become a Floridian root for the local teams - Rays, Lightning, Bucs.

Once you leave NY, and become a FL resident, go all the way and see FL as your permanent home.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:22 AM

169 posts, read 396,563 times
I think the "Finding A Job First" was great advice. No money? How miserable is that.
Yet if you can get a job and have Family here,yes Florida is a great place to live.You may not know it but you are going to miss things from N.York that you took for granted but after awhile that will drift away away and you will be so glad you made the moved to Florida.

Get a Job First!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually REALITY advice goes alot further than friendly advice.
It is absolutely no more difficult to do both at once than it is to ignore the latter.

Defending not doing so seems peculiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area