Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That very thought crossed my mind also. Look at those here who were so fast to blame the victims, to somehow suggest, insinuate, that these men were to blame for what happened. When we were in Sarasota in Feb we had no idea where the bad areas were and could have taken a wrong turn into that same slum.

When someone asks on this Forum what areas to avoid no one here will come forward and give the name of the slums and ghettos there to avoid. What streets to avoid. Where the crime is the worst.
I believe I have named the slums in the past.

As to the UK article, it sounds like they are just speculating, those aren't really "facts" at all.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM

67 posts, read 157,741 times
Its obvious what happened in my eyes.
When you have a look at the housing estate(ghetto) where they were found dead it is only 1 and a half miles from smokin joes, (the bar the Brits were last seen in). Theres literally one big road that brings you from that bar to the estate and thats Orange Avenue.
Without a doubt you get criminals coming down from that estate in to town to hustle and rob etc.
In this case i would say a man pretended to be a Cab driver around the night life area and picked up the two Brits and drove them up Orange Avenue and into the estate where the 16 year old and a couple of others were waiting to abush them. Maybe not to shot them but the Brits might of ran for it as soon as they got out of the car.

Dont kid yourself that will put British tourist off why go Sarasota when theres a million other places that are safer.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Snips

What can anyone do? All the states claim they don't have the money to build more prisons, to keep these depraved individuals in prison longer, to plow under the ghettos infested with these violent uncivilized "animals." To deal with the sob-sisters who defend them because they were raised on Twinkies by drug addicted mothers and had no fathers. Drugs and welfare and single mothers in these inner cities will always be with us. This is where the problems start. This is where the vast majority of these homicidal "animals" come from. No politician is going to commit political suicide trying to really make a difference. Get rid of welfare and the ghettos. Get rid of the housing projects.... it has to start somewhere.
Take a whole lot of that money that Mr Obama is spending on the multitude of wars and put these people in government sponsored reformation camps. Make them WORK for their welfare. Make them WORK for their food stamps. Hire a hundred thousand guards, if thats what it takes.

Hell, I don't know. But not doing ANYTHING isn't going to stop it. How bad does it have to get before SOMEBODY opens their eyes and takes a hard line? I am frankly boggled, apparently, so are you, =^..^=.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM

I tell you what though that housing estate where the fellas died looked terrible. I mean no wonder the murderer Tyson looks so bitter he was born and raised in a concrete shoe box.
Honestly some of those houses have to be the worst ive seen in the western world.

Heres a link here if it works.

Sarasota, FL, USA - Google Maps

copy and paste it.

I aint no liberal namby pamby type but come on people no wonder you have some ****ed up nut cases out there.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs View Post
Its obvious what happened in my eyes.
When you have a look at the housing estate(ghetto) where they were found dead it is only 1 and a half miles from smokin joes, (the bar the Brits were last seen in). Theres literally one big road that brings you from that bar to the estate and thats Orange Avenue.
Without a doubt you get criminals coming down from that estate in to town to hustle and rob etc.
In this case i would say a man pretended to be a Cab driver around the night life area and picked up the two Brits and drove them up Orange Avenue and into the estate where the 16 year old and a couple of others were waiting to abush them. Maybe not to shot them but the Brits might of ran for it as soon as they got out of the car.

Dont kid yourself that will put British tourist off why go Sarasota when theres a million other places that are safer.
That's actually a pretty good point. On that same note, they could have began walking from Smokin' Joe's for some reason and walked in the wrong direction. Since it was said there was no car found.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,649,039 times
Quote:
"Our PR firm in the UK said they aren't seeing this is having a negative impact on Sarasota as a tourist destination."
I realize the importance of the local tourist industry in Sarasota, but I still found this incredibly crass.

A horrendous double-murder takes place, and the first reaction of city officials is to go running to a PR firm?

Well, I guess that says a lot about their priorities...

Sadly, I think we need some way to inform tourists that the US can't just be treated like any other developed nation.

We have pockets of extreme under-development and violence within our borders, and if you go to the wrong area, you might be killed.

I don't think a lot of tourists understand how dire things can get in America. They need to know that they have to be on their guard in a place like Sarasota. It ain't no Zurich or Barcelona.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I realize the importance of the local tourist industry in Sarasota, but I still found this incredibly crass.

A horrendous double-murder takes place, and the first reaction of city officials is to go running to a PR firm?

Well, I guess that says a lot about their priorities...

Sadly, I think we need some way to inform tourists that the US can't just be treated like any other developed nation.

We have pockets of extreme under-development and violence within our borders, and if you go to the wrong area, you might be killed.

I don't think a lot of tourists understand how dire things can get in America. They need to know that they have to be on their guard in a place like Sarasota. It ain't no Zurich or Barcelona.
I thought that was an odd comment as well. I think Sarasota needs to be more concerned with getting all the facts and doing a good job of prosecuting the murder of the Brits then concentrating on their image.

On the danger factor of Sarasota, I honestly think it's very low and mostly concentrated in a certain area (yes I've seen all the stats). I was born and raised here and just don't see it as a dangerous town to live in. This type of thing can happen in any town or city in the US or world for that matter. You need to be on your guard no matter where you are and certainly more so in higher crime areas.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Heres more on it.In the biggest selling British paper.

Florida murder: Why were James Cooper and James gunned down in ghetto | Mail Online

This aint going away.They look like well to do lads i doubt they were doing drugs on foreign soil.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,649,039 times
I certainly hope it doesn't go away. Florida as a state needs to face up to some of the foul social rot in certain parts of its cities. Floridians have been perfectly content to ignore it for decades. Even if it requires a hit to the tourist industry to make that happen.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM

8,769 posts, read 4,745,804 times
Scroll down towards the bottom of this UK newspaper page (that has several related articles about the murders). The article called "Deadly Side Of The Sunshine State" is a really stark and perhaps harsh view of Florida from a UK perspective - although there is truth in a lot of the article. Florida murder: Why were James Cooper and James gunned down in ghetto | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area