Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,939,274 times

Advertisements

I'll add a few places to that. My ex worked as a chef at Euphemia Haye out on Longboat Key. I know the servers and bar tenders made really good money. I don't know how much experience you have under your belt but if you're looking to pull in some pretty decent money you might want to apply there. Also Darcy and Ray Arpke, the owners, are pretty good to work for. Their staff usually stays with them for a long time. The Mar Vista is another option out on Longboat Key. Eric, one of the bar tenders at The Haye, worked at Mar Vista for about 10 years and now has been at The Haye for over 20 years.

Pop's in Nokomis seems like it might be a decent place to work as well. It's pretty laid back and casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 23,521 times
Yes, we do have nice beaches, but unless you live on one, good luck getting to one in the summer months.

If you like hot - you will have that - we had many close to or over 100 degree days last summer with almost solid humidity with it - so I guess those sleeveless shirts will come in handy. Make sure you pack the bug spray though.

Sounds like you want the sun and the sand, and probably should stick to those areas as far as living is concerned. Places like Lakewood Ranch are very nice, but it would be a min. 45 minutes drive to any beach, maybe more depending on traffic.

My brother in law vacated an apartment he found on Craigslist right on Lido Beach looking out over the gulf, furnished for $1000 a month. They can be found. If you are wondering why he left it? Went back to Tahoe - loves it better there.

Good Luck

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinejack View Post
Yes, we do have nice beaches, but unless you live on one, good luck getting to one in the summer months.

If you like hot - you will have that - we had many close to or over 100 degree days last summer with almost solid humidity with it - so I guess those sleeveless shirts will come in handy. Make sure you pack the bug spray though.

Sounds like you want the sun and the sand, and probably should stick to those areas as far as living is concerned. Places like Lakewood Ranch are very nice, but it would be a min. 45 minutes drive to any beach, maybe more depending on traffic.

My brother in law vacated an apartment he found on Craigslist right on Lido Beach looking out over the gulf, furnished for $1000 a month. They can be found. If you are wondering why he left it? Went back to Tahoe - loves it better there.

Good Luck
Is there anything you or your brother actually like about the area, and, if now, why do you still live here (you said "we have nice beaches," so I assume you live here)?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 23,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Is there anything you or your brother actually like about the area, and, if now, why do you still live here (you said "we have nice beaches," so I assume you live here)?
I have been here since 1956 if that helps any. Used to like it, but not anymore. Sorry if that offends anyone, but just not what it used to be.

We thrive here on tourists, the arts and the elderly. That pretty much sums it up.

My point being, just because Sarasota might be a nice place to visit, you may not really like living here year round. My BIL, went back to Tahoe because he still owned a condo there, and missed the weather, etc. (He is a skier).

You obviously like warm weather and the beach, etc. so you might like it here, but just really do your homework before deciding. I have talked to so many people that have come from the north thinking that it would be an easy transition, but hated the bugs, humidity and unbearable heat in the summer (mostly the bugs). Hurricane season, fire season, etc. not things some will tell you about.

Our moving away from the area is a culmination of many different things that have made the decision a little easier.

Many places have gone out of business in this economic climate, we have a 12 % unemployment rate in the county, and tourist traffic is way down which also affects employment, so just be aware.

Don't want to sound like a downer for the area, but I have seen many answers on this forum that sound more like a advertisement to visit than real truths. I have lived here long enough to know what really goes on here.

Again, I wish you luck in your decision.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

29 posts, read 45,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinejack View Post
I have been here since 1956 if that helps any. Used to like it, but not anymore. Sorry if that offends anyone, but just not what it used to be.

We thrive here on tourists, the arts and the elderly. That pretty much sums it up.

My point being, just because Sarasota might be a nice place to visit, you may not really like living here year round. My BIL, went back to Tahoe because he still owned a condo there, and missed the weather, etc. (He is a skier).

You obviously like warm weather and the beach, etc. so you might like it here, but just really do your homework before deciding. I have talked to so many people that have come from the north thinking that it would be an easy transition, but hated the bugs, humidity and unbearable heat in the summer (mostly the bugs). Hurricane season, fire season, etc. not things some will tell you about.

Our moving away from the area is a culmination of many different things that have made the decision a little easier.

Many places have gone out of business in this economic climate, we have a 12 % unemployment rate in the county, and tourist traffic is way down which also affects employment, so just be aware.

Don't want to sound like a downer for the area, but I have seen many answers on this forum that sound more like a advertisement to visit than real truths. I have lived here long enough to know what really goes on here.

Again, I wish you luck in your decision.
I appreciate your honesty and welcome it. That's why I came on to this site, I wanted the honest truth: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I realize that there may be things I don't like about Sarasota, but I find it hard to believe that there is a place anywhere that doesn't have both pro's and cons. People love Maine, and think it's such a pristine vacation spot. They advertise our gorgeous coastline, cheap lobster straight from the boat, but what they don't tell you is that there are black flies the size of your fist, the sidewalks roll up after 9, and that on any given day from October to April it will take you over an hour to get your car out of your 30 foot driveway due to the massive snowfall.
I'm not ignorant to the fact that this transition will be tough and who knows maybe I'll even one day regret doing it but I find it hard to believe there's NOTHING good about it, after all you're still there.
Again thanks for your input, every bit helps!!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 45,537 times
"You obviously like warm weather and the beach, etc. so you might like it here, but just really do your homework before deciding."

As for my homework before deciding: this is what I am trying to do here...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Relocation View Post
I appreciate your honesty and welcome it. That's why I came on to this site, I wanted the honest truth: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I realize that there may be things I don't like about Sarasota, but I find it hard to believe that there is a place anywhere that doesn't have both pro's and cons. People love Maine, and think it's such a pristine vacation spot. They advertise our gorgeous coastline, cheap lobster straight from the boat, but what they don't tell you is that there are black flies the size of your fist, the sidewalks roll up after 9, and that on any given day from October to April it will take you over an hour to get your car out of your 30 foot driveway due to the massive snowfall.
I'm not ignorant to the fact that this transition will be tough and who knows maybe I'll even one day regret doing it but I find it hard to believe there's NOTHING good about it, after all you're still there.
Again thanks for your input, every bit helps!!
Hey, Florida Relo - it's the nature of these websites to give pro and con - some of us (like me) are ridiculously happy here, and even I will acknowledge there is some negative here (too many old people, bad drivers, and bugs!). But what is negative for me might be positive for others and vice versa. So I always say glean what you can and then try it yourself and form your own opinions. Yes, it may not be perfect, but for me darn near!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM

25 posts, read 76,599 times
What kind of bugs exactly? Flying/stinging bugs, or ground bugs? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrabar View Post
All of the above - You name it, we got it!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

386 posts, read 1,016,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrabar View Post
Well, right now it's Lovebugs, a temporary seasonal phenomena. At least they don't bite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area