Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM

453 posts, read 1,742,550 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a week's vacation in Bradenton Beach, AMI. Rented a very nice condo at Marbella Villas and had a wonderful time. Our second visit.

Continental no longer flies direct from Newark to Sarasota so we flew to Tampa and had a pleasant ride down. Stopped near St. Pete beach to see an area we used to go to many years ago, Isla Del Sol.

Had some great dinners at Mr. Bones, Star Fish in Cortez, BeachHouse, Sandbar, City Pier, Cortez Kitchen, and Old Hamburg Schnitzelhouse, an unexpected standout. (The only one I'm not sure I'd go back to was Star Fish, which was just okay.)

The love bugs were out in full force, and might have been the only mildly annoying thing we encountered. Weather was perfect all week, as were the Gulf temps, sunsets, and low humidity. We took the Almost Heaven kayak tour in Lido Beach after lunch at St. Armands circle. Very interesting!

One cloudy morning we stopped at the Anna Maria Historical Society Museum and enjoyed learning about local history. What a great little place that is.

The people of this area have much to be proud of, and I can't wait to return.

Rhys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Thanks for the report! It seems as though you had an action packed week. Glad the love bugs didn't get to you too bad. They sure have been out this year.

AMI Historical Museum is a neat little lesser known place.

Come visit again soon

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Did the wandering pets freak you out at Star Fish?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

Didn't notice them, but felt like I was dining in a bird sanctuary, which was kind of interesting. I love casual, but that was a little more casual than I like (place order at window, cash only, dinner in boxes delivered by last name, picnic tables on the dock.) By comparison, Cortez Kitchen was more for me.

Surprisingly, one of the best meals I had was the tilapia special on the City Pier. I forgot that you can see the sunset so nicely from there, too.

Be sure to check out the Old Hamberg Schnitzelhaus if you haven't already.

Rhys

Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Didn't notice them, but felt like I was dining in a bird sanctuary, which was kind of interesting. I love casual, but that was a little more casual than I like (place order at window, cash only, dinner in boxes delivered by last name, picnic tables on the dock.) By comparison, Cortez Kitchen was more for me.

Surprisingly, one of the best meals I had was the tilapia special on the City Pier. I forgot that you can see the sunset so nicely from there, too.

Be sure to check out the Old Hamberg Schnitzelhaus if you haven't already.

Rhys
Star Fish is one of the best fresh fish dives around the area. I haven't dined on the City Pier yet as I no longer reside on the island in it's present state of overbuilding. It's still a lovely place to visit for tourists and that's cool....I feel like one of the crabby old timers I used to speed by on Key Royale Drive now, after twenty years of watching the island change!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Shhhhh....don't tell anyone about AMI! Just kidding....I'm in Bradenton now (Mom's lived here for 14 years) and I am absolutely in love with AMI. It is really special. I know Siesta Key is supposed to be the top beach in the area, but for me, it wasn't even close to the AMI beaches. It was too big, too crowded, and lined with non-descript high-rises. I love the residential and island-y feel of AMI.

I got a grouper sandwich at Rod & Reel Pier....supposedly they're known for that, but honestly, I didn't think the grouper was that flavorful. I've never had grouper before....seemed bland to me. Loved the local feel of the place though.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Shhhhh....don't tell anyone about AMI! Just kidding....I'm in Bradenton now (Mom's lived here for 14 years) and I am absolutely in love with AMI. It is really special. I know Siesta Key is supposed to be the top beach in the area, but for me, it wasn't even close to the AMI beaches. It was too big, too crowded, and lined with non-descript high-rises. I love the residential and island-y feel of AMI.

I got a grouper sandwich at Rod & Reel Pier....supposedly they're known for that, but honestly, I didn't think the grouper was that flavorful. I've never had grouper before....seemed bland to me. Loved the local feel of the place though.
I'm with you, Avalon, I feel exactly the same way! Siesta does not do it for me (hate the crowds and big condos!) , I am in love with AMI and all it's beaches! It's so very "old Florida", and I'm a Florida native! Definitely has a special energy there. Never seen any beaches I love more.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Gypsy, that's great to hear. I thought maybe I was just caught up in the beautiful weather (last two seasons I've been here, it's been cold), but I've been just blown away by the beauty of the AMI beaches. Hope it's a beach day tomorrow...

Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
Had some great dinners at Mr. Bones, Star Fish in Cortez, BeachHouse, .....

A good meal at the BeachHouse? I think the food there is terrible and the worst I had in the area. Too much salt on the food and the shrimp were as rubbery as dog toys. I could'a bounced the damned things off the wall.

I'd rather eat at Long John Silvers.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Did anyone go to the 100th Anniversary celebration of the City Pier over the weekend? Looks like they put a lot of work into the planning of that.

As for the BeachHouse, I've never had any complaints and it still has a #1 rating on TripAdvisor with only a few really negative reviews. The biggest problem we had there was the love bugs, not the food or service.

Rhys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area