Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times

Advertisements

I recieved e mail from the Governors office last night stating that Rick Scott signed SB234 into law late yesterday afternoon. If you work for a company with a zero tolerance for guns in the work place policy you are now legally permitted as a CCW holder in Florida to have a fire arm in your vehicle on work property.

SB234 also provides provision against accidental exposure or brandishing. There will be another push for constitutional carry this fall in Florida and I was told by his office that he will sign it if it makes it through the senate.

While SB234 is not what pro gun people in Florida wanted, it is what we have and I am happy the provisions are moving to protect Floridians and thier constitutional rights.

An armed society is a polite society.

Have a good weekend peeps

Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,162 times
it says brief accidental exposure. what is the definition of brief? it also has language that references a threating manner, who defines that. the signed bill is a shell of what was proposed.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
...baby steps...

Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM

i see the only ones i see benefitting off of this bill is the lawyers. i will continue to be just as careful as ever.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
I agree it is a shell of its original proposal, but it is a pro gun bill with provisions that we benefit from. The wind blowing open your shirt, reaching for the top shelf etc can no longer be violations of your CCW. Not what we wanted but we have no choice to accept it. I prefer these provisions over the risk of being arrested for accidental exposure.

And I agree with baby steps. The anti gun liberals in Florida have had a choke hold that is slowly losing its grasp. Florida will have constitutional open carry, it is a matter of proper timing and patience.

I have to go now, I am taking my carry weapon shopping. I need a safe load of ammo for tomorrow and I am thinking about buying a new knife too. I hope I get that crazy, unexplainable desire to buy a new pistol..... maybe the wife will stay home

Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I agree it is a shell of its original proposal, but it is a pro gun bill with provisions that we benefit from. The wind blowing open your shirt, reaching for the top shelf etc can no longer be violations of your CCW. Not what we wanted but we have no choice to accept it. I prefer these provisions over the risk of being arrested for accidental exposure.

And I agree with baby steps. The anti gun liberals in Florida have had a choke hold that is slowly losing its grasp. Florida will have constitutional open carry, it is a matter of proper timing and patience.

I have to go now, I am taking my carry weapon shopping. I need a safe load of ammo for tomorrow and I am thinking about buying a new knife too. I hope I get that crazy, unexplainable desire to buy a new pistol..... maybe the wife will stay home
gun show at lee civic center in ft myers this weekend. if you go you gotta buy.

some hard core gun guys say that florida has become NJ with palm trees, they have obviously never been to NJ.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 AM

330 posts, read 599,186 times
Don't leave the wife at home, take here with you, she needs a gun more than you do I am sure! In anycase this is a good bill, it offers protections for legal CCW holders. I would love to see an open carry law, perhaps in the future...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
An armed society is a polite society.

That is not accurate by any means--
carrying a firearm does not mean that anyone is "polite" or will be treated "politely" by anyone/everyone s/he comes in contact with

it means the potential for people to be harmed by guns rises to greater likelyhood

not everyone carrying a gun (legally or otherwise) should have it

Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Thanks for these informative updates. As a native Arizonan, it is so foreign to me to not allow citizens to lawfully carry an open firearm. Since I left AZ, they updated their CCW law to not even require a permit. I love it. Does anyone think a crook who won't qualify for a permit will hesitate to conceal his weapon? Why should a law abiding citizen have to pay a fee for a permit and a background check to exercise their constitutional right? So progressive, is Arizona in this area.

I travel by air so much now, it would be a huge hassle to check a firearm. Living in the small town of Port Charlotte, I have gotten used to leaving my gun at home. However it's nice to see the FL legislature continue to make the "right" moves.

What are the FL laws when it comes to having a holstered, loaded, handgun in a cargo hold of the boat?

Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Interesting information. I support gun rights though I don't own a gun. I believe in the constitution. Somebody needs to, right? Especially since there is a real "police state" trend encroaching everywhere. There is a good amt of evidence to show states and countries w/ progressive gun laws are more free w/ better rights. Swiss are a good example of this, for example.

Guns have been demonized a good bit. They are indeed a dangerous tool and should be treated w/ respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area