Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 17,206 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into Central Park, mainly because it does not have a numerical restriction on pets (I think the rules say a "reasonable" number) and it does not have breed restrictions. Most of my neighbors seem to have from 2-4 pets, so this neighborhood is a real refuge for us pet owners. Yes, the landscape is raw and new-looking, but you can't have everything, and the landscape will improve in the years ahead. Other things I like about Central Park are the ability to fence my yard (although not all lots can be fenced), the fact that the houses are new and therefore insurance is not an issue, the fact that most of the development is not in the proposed expanded flood zone, the fact that the HOA does enforce the rules, the newly expanded YMCA across the street, the proximity to the trails in Summerfield, and the easy access to I-75. I also like the floor plan of my house and have been happy so far with the quality of construction and the builder's response to the couple of minor issues I've had. I moved here from the Northeast, and it is a different world for home buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,738,350 times
Which builder did you use?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM

140 posts, read 288,140 times
Thanks Kietrack for all the feedback, I like the idea of being able to fence the backyard. We are coming the weekend of September 7th and our realtor will be taking us there. Also, we would like to put in a flower garden, do you know if Lakewood Ranch allows the homeowner to plant a garden?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 17,206 times
I was told that if you want to make changes in the landscaping it has to be approved by the review committee -- but another person told me that there is a list of pre-approved plants. The sales rep should be able to give you the details on that.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietrack View Post
I was told that if you want to make changes in the landscaping it has to be approved by the review committee -- but another person told me that there is a list of pre-approved plants. The sales rep should be able to give you the details on that.

Wow. An approved plant list!?!?!? This place sounds like Stepford to me. I am not against HOA's....they definitely have their place. I actually lived in a condo that had one and was a member of the board. But this sounds like no one has any freedom at all to individualize their property. What if I like tulips but I am only allowed petunias?

Before anyone starts defending LWR...I know that some people like it and that it is a choice to live there. I personally would not like to live there, but I am just in shock at the level of detail that is monitored. Is there really a way for someone to be aware and understand ALL of the criteria before they move in? It feels like it would be really overwhelming.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Wow. An approved plant list!?!?!? This place sounds like Stepford to me. I am not against HOA's....they definitely have their place. I actually lived in a condo that had one and was a member of the board. But this sounds like no one has any freedom at all to individualize their property. What if I like tulips but I am only allowed petunias?

Before anyone starts defending LWR...I know that some people like it and that it is a choice to live there. I personally would not like to live there, but I am just in shock at the level of detail that is monitored. Is there really a way for someone to be aware and understand ALL of the criteria before they move in? It feels like it would be really overwhelming.
LOL...I am not defending LWR's plant palatte but I'll tell you what I was told when I made a...umm...smart you-know-what remark about the subject when I first heard about it. I can't say for certain this is right but it's what I was told. Some plant species are more intrusive than others and some are more prone to diseases/drought tolerant than others. So, to keep the place looking as green and healthy as possible, they have a plant list. Take it for what it is worth...

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
LOL...I am not defending LWR's plant palatte but I'll tell you what I was told when I made a...umm...smart you-know-what remark about the subject when I first heard about it. I can't say for certain this is right but it's what I was told. Some plant species are more intrusive than others and some are more prone to diseases/drought tolerant than others. So, to keep the place looking as green and healthy as possible, they have a plant list. Take it for what it is worth...
Ha! You probably said what I was thinking!

Ok....I get what they are saying but it really sounds like they are preparing for way too many "what-ifs" in life. Again, I don't have to live there and I understand that this works for some people. Not trying to hate on LWR but I have this vision of the homes from Edward Scissorhands where everyone leaves for work at the same time and all the trees are the same shape and size. Seems a little boring.

Ah, well.....to each his own. That is the great thing about this country. We all have choices!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,524 times
whacru, I had the same image in my mind, made me laugh. Justin

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM

LOL...Edward Scissorhands...funny! That's what I felt like when I lived in Braden Woods and had to trim all the hedges around the house. The fur was flying....or whatever...

Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,532,666 times
Central Park at LWR has been developed using standards of the FL Green Building Coalition. So the landscaping is more "Florida friendly," using native and drought-tolerant plants that can survive our dry season without constant watering. You'll also notice the type of grass is more drought tolerant -- water loving St. Augustine grass is not allowed.

The green standards also extend into energy saving features in the homes, narrow tile grout lines in the bathrooms and back splashes to reduce the use of cleaning chemicals and low VOC paints for cleaner indoor environment.

So that's why there's a list of approved plants for landscaping. Go green!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area