Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM

40 posts, read 175,469 times

Advertisements

First time I was driving from TPA Airport to Sarasota I almost swallowed my tongue when I first saw that bridge coming up. Luckily the kids were sleeping and the wife kept her eyes closed. Is there optional routes that are within reasonable time? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Yes...go east from the Tampa Airport toward I4. I think it is called I-275 North or possibly I275 East...then it turns into I-4. At the intersection of I-4/I-75, you take I-75 South. Just look at the map, it's pretty easy. Pretend like you are headed from Tampa toward Brandon, then hop on I-75 south heading to Sarasota.

Don't get on I-275 South coming from Tampa Airport...because that takes you across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

I took the long way many times to avoid the bridge.

It's not a huge difference in time or miles and it will save you lots of stress.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
The other route is to take the 275E to I4E and then 21st S to Selmon Expressway (the crosstown), it's a cloverleaf and you'll go under the expressway and get up on it in order to go East to I75.

It's more of a pain then going over the Skyway but it works it you don't like the bridge.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yes...go east from the Tampa Airport toward I4. I think it is called I-275 North or possibly I275 East...then it turns into I-4. At the intersection of I-4/I-75, you take I-75 South. Just look at the map, it's pretty easy. Pretend like you are headed from Tampa toward Brandon, then hop on I-75 south heading to Sarasota.

Don't get on I-275 South coming from Tampa Airport...because that takes you across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

I took the long way many times to avoid the bridge.

It's not a huge difference in time or miles and it will save you lots of stress.

Thanks,don't think I could get used to that roller coaster looking bridge coming at me.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM

279 posts, read 577,551 times
what stress? a bridge-phobia or is the bridge troublesome for another reason? i think it's pretty and grew up with all the many bridges around NYC so I didn't think twice about it. It's a particularly beautiful bridge really.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
what stress? a bridge-phobia or is the bridge troublesome for another reason? i think it's pretty and grew up with all the many bridges around NYC so I didn't think twice about it. It's a particularly beautiful bridge really.
Also grew up in Boston crossing the Tobin and Zakim as well as the Cape Cod Canal Bridges. The Skyway Bridge will not be an option for my wife.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoOsprey View Post
It's only troublesome on May 9th. That's my moms birthday and it seems as though if something bad happens on the Skyway, it's on that date: The Skyway Bridge Disaster My father covered this story in 1980 when he owned the local newspaper. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjBGLxMdP4

After the 1980 Skyway Disaster for the next three years, every year on May 9th, one of the construction workers has died. And every year for the last 10 years someone has jumped from the bridge on May 9th. One year someone jumped with their dog. The guy did not make it but the dog did.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
The Skyway Bridge is so beautiful - I just love going over it!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 PM

275 posts, read 715,029 times
Sue & I went over it twice today, gorgeous view.

We'll be sure to celebrate your Mom's birthday from home

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times
Hate that bridge too. I remember the disaster. What was even worse, they left the half-broken bridge up for years as a reminder of the event. Everytime you would drive over the new bridge, you'd see the broken one right next to it.

I do not have a bridge phobia and living in NY went over bridges regularly. The Skyway bridge looks weird, the way it just shoots straight up and down. Doesn't look like a normal bridge. I use it, but white-knuckle each trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area