Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM

63 posts, read 165,574 times

Advertisements

If you have any Habitat for Humanity stores in your area, check them out too. You never know what you will find there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I've never seen so many Goodwill Stores in my life as there are down here.

I really thinned out my furniture when I moved down here and came from no outdoor space to a good sized lanai so I had to furnish it.

I just stopped in whatever used furniture store I happened to pass. I got two oversized armchairs with ottomans and a brand new outdoor glass table with four swivel cushioned chairs for $100.

Because it is used, I'd check everywhere.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:58 PM
GPH

94 posts, read 232,653 times
Pelican Cottage, high end consignment, I think it is in Osprey on Rt 41.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,671,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernbar View Post
If you have any Habitat for Humanity stores in your area, check them out too. You never know what you will find there.
Yes I agree - the Habitat for Humanity stores in Sarasota are good for finding used furniture. Here is a link for information, store addresses and hours:

index <---(click for full info. about the Sarasota Habitat For Humanity stores)

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I don't mean to be wet blanket but I am considering getting almost all furniture for this new house on the used market--

had anyone heard anything about bedbugs being very common in this area

We won't buy used mattresses for the bedrooms--but just wondered about headboards, dressers, and other case goods...
am I overthinking this problem?
It wouldn't be the first time--
but in the East especially bedbugs are about epidemic in certain areas and people are much more cognizant of how they can spread...

Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't mean to be wet blanket but I am considering getting almost all furniture for this new house on the used market--

had anyone heard anything about bedbugs being very common in this area

We won't buy used mattresses for the bedrooms--but just wondered about headboards, dressers, and other case goods...
am I overthinking this problem?
It wouldn't be the first time--
but in the East especially bedbugs are about epidemic in certain areas and people are much more cognizant of how they can spread...
have not heard of a problem here.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
Simon's is another consignment store w. decent stuff.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
PS--checking the Sarasota Craigs list for past week or so--
Compared to Tampa's think the selection is better and prices too--plus Tampa area is so spread out that makes it a little intimidating...

comparing it with Dallas where I am now--better quality furniture although of course there is not as much of the tropical style like rattan/wicker...

Check out the Craigs List and note the nicer dealer listings from thrift shops--they usually have stuff inhouse that is not listed

Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,829 times
Deals and steals used furniture in Port Charlotte is another good one for quality used furniture

Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM

241 posts, read 480,153 times
I used to work in a furniture consignment store in PA. It was mandatory by law that the upholstered items had to be sprayed with a disinfectant that was also every kind of "cide" you can imagine..fungicide, mildewcide, pesticide, etc. The items had to be tagged that they were sprayed. there was a state inspector who would come around every so often to check randomly that items were sprayed. Big fines if you didn't have your items sprayed.
That doesn't seem to be the case here. Since I came here with a minimum of items as well, I have been purchasing used furniture here. What I did was look online for the stuff we used. It is called Steri-Fab. It is not cheap, (about $40 gallon which includes shipping). I spray it on the upholstered pieces. Gives some piece of mind, as I know there was never any bug problems with the furniture that was sold in the store where I worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area