Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 AM

29 posts, read 104,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbug1019 View Post
I'm so glad you posted this. I'm a single 30yr old chick and thinking of moving to the Sarasota area. I have been in Manhattan for the past 7 years and am exhausted. Most of my family is in FL now (shocker) as well.
My biggest fear is finding a job in the event/marketing field and that there are not too many people around my age. True? False?

i made the move from the city 7 months ago. having a few life long friends in the area i figured it would be a good place to test the waters in other places without being alone. sarasota is beautiful for sure. there are many things here that are fun. the kayaking, fishing, bay and gulf are all great ways to pass the time. downtown sarasota is pretty crowded most nights but in reality the whole place is smaller than times square. It is a very stress free place to live in comparison to the city. sure there is traffic here sometimes, and working is a hassle to every person everywhere. you know the good days and bad days thing. but a bad day here is like a luxury vacation compared to a bad day in NY. i got two parking tickets in sarasota so far. the first one i FREE!! the second one was $25.. way less painful than the $180 parting gift that NYC gave me when i was leaving. things like that , and no pot holes, amazing weather for 6 1/2 months a year, friendly people when just in casual situations , good food, and a few other things really do make it a pleasant place. but there are some drawbacks to me. just about every experience out of the house to every day places will be excruciating. there is no such thing as picking up a quick coffee in dunkin donuts here. most chain store workers will be painfully stupid to deal with for a real new yorker. also in the amazingly dumb list will be just about every one you date down here. and a good %85 of them will be a former or current pill addict, drunk, lazy, dirty and clingy as hell if your a good catch. Thankfully here in down town sarasota with the opera, ballet, plays museums, and theater there is a little bubble of class and culture. but to a true new yorker you will be appalled at how many of the people down here act. your co workers will do the absolute bare minimum, slowing you down. etiquette is non existent in at least half the people in professional and social situations. i can go on forever but the point i was trying to contribute was this is not the place to date or be single. i spend 14 hour days in downtown and yes the people might be attractive on the surface, but thats only because the majority is so shallow down here. the surface is all they seem to work on.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 83,923 times
The dunkin doughnuts people get more dates then you do.

I can hook you up with a cool guy in Sarasota who feels the same way as you. He is a hottie.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Yeah,...because there are no shallow, lazy, stupid, pill poppers in N.Y.C. (eyeroll)
Please.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
Yeah,...because there are no shallow, lazy, stupid, pill poppers in N.Y.C. (eyeroll)
Please.

this quote and the one on top of it are good examples of the conversations you will get in Florida. Say something well thought out and honest and get a one line reply that really makes no sense.

Florida is the pill popping capitol of the nation. i didnt make up the facts.

there are shallow and lazy people everywhere, but new york does attract the brightest and most hard working people. florida attracts old and lazy people. its just the way it is.

i was just trying to give the initial poster an honest opinion of the dating scene here. No reason to get nasty and give a rude comment back. A well thought out reply would have been more appropriate. To me the simple minded responses prove the point i was trying to make. The people here are not that sharp.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtonium View Post
The people here are not that sharp.
Speak for yourself.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
i made the move from the city 7 months ago. having a few life long friends in the area i figured it would be a good place to test the waters in other places without being alone. sarasota is beautiful for sure. there are many things here that are fun. the kayaking, fishing, bay and gulf are all great ways to pass the time. downtown sarasota is pretty crowded most nights but in reality the whole place is smaller than times square. It is a very stress free place to live in comparison to the city. sure there is traffic here sometimes, and working is a hassle to every person everywhere. you know the good days and bad days thing. but a bad day here is like a luxury vacation compared to a bad day in NY. i got two parking tickets in sarasota so far. the first one i FREE!! the second one was $25.. way less painful than the $180 parting gift that NYC gave me when i was leaving. things like that , and no pot holes, amazing weather for 6 1/2 months a year, friendly people when just in casual situations , good food, and a few other things really do make it a pleasant place. but there are some drawbacks to me. just about every experience out of the house to every day places will be excruciating. there is no such thing as picking up a quick coffee in dunkin donuts here. most chain store workers will be painfully stupid to deal with for a real new yorker. also in the amazingly dumb list will be just about every one you date down here. and a good %85 of them will be a former or current pill addict, drunk, lazy, dirty and clingy as hell if your a good catch. Thankfully here in down town sarasota with the opera, ballet, plays museums, and theater there is a little bubble of class and culture. but to a true new yorker you will be appalled at how many of the people down here act. your co workers will do the absolute bare minimum, slowing you down. etiquette is non existent in at least half the people in professional and social situations. i can go on forever but the point i was trying to contribute was this is not the place to date or be single. i spend 14 hour days in downtown and yes the people might be attractive on the surface, but thats only because the majority is so shallow down here. the surface is all they seem to work on.
Sorry to say, I can't disagree with much of what you wrote. Over all it is a great place to live, but like everywhere, even like my beloved NY, it has it's flaws. Still very much enjoy living here though.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM

499 posts, read 580,953 times
Quote:
this quote and the one on top of it are good examples of the conversations you will get in Florida. Say something well thought out and honest and get a one line reply that really makes no sense.

Florida is the pill popping capitol of the nation. i didnt make up the facts.

there are shallow and lazy people everywhere, but new york does attract the brightest and most hard working people. florida attracts old and lazy people. its just the way it is.

i was just trying to give the initial poster an honest opinion of the dating scene here. No reason to get nasty and give a rude comment back. A well thought out reply would have been more appropriate. To me the simple minded responses prove the point i was trying to make. The people here are not that sharp.
If it's so terribly bad compared to New York, why don't you just return there? I really can't understand why you live in a place where you appear to despise the inhabitants

Last edited by quenelle; 04-07-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM

36 posts, read 83,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
If it's so terribly bad compared to New York, why don't you just return there? I really can't understand why you live in a place where you appear to despise the inhabitants
Thats how i feel too. I think she should just leave and take that attitude straight back to NYC. Then she can drink her Dunkin Doughnuts in peace and be around a more sophisticated crowd. Sounds like all the culture she knows about is sitting around at Dunkin Doughnuts!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 PM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Drewtonium, a word to the wise is sufficient.
All the explanation in the world is no help to a fool.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Speak for yourself.

i am speaking for myself.who else would i be speaking for?...

another comment that shows the mentality of the people here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area