Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 23,680 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Sarasota area in a couple weeks, and I'm very excited! I've searched these forums for info on hiking and backpacking in the area, and haven't found much beyond Myakka state park. Are there suitable backpacking areas there? What about other nearby areas? I'd be bringing my dog with me, so any info on dog-friendly hiking and backpacking areas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Here is a link to the pet friendly parks and beaches in Sarasota County: scgov.net - Parks and Recreation

Hiking Places:
Myakka River State Park, Sarasota - Mossy Hammock - 4.5 mile walk through wonderful old moss covered oak trees and swamps, 2.5 hours

Myakka Wilderness Preserve, Sarasota - lake views, 5.5 miles round trip, 2.5 hours, sand road walk in full sun most of the way through open prarie

Gopher Trail - Loop, Bradenton (Lake Manatee State Park) - multi-purpose trail with abundant wildlife, 1.7 miles round trip, 1 hour

Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Florida's relatively flat, so if you're looking for mountains or something like that, I don't think you'll find many. But if you find any, please let me know as I'm interested.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
It's going to be too hot/humid for this until the fall, unless you go early in the AM and be done before 10am. Even then you might be soaking wet with sweat even if you stand still in the shade.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:08 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Unfortunately there just isn't too much in the immediate area.

Myakka has the most backpacking trails at something like 40 miles. Little Manatee SP has primitive camping on the trail, but it's only a 7 mile loop.

For day hikes you have Myakka, Little Manatee River SP (my personal favorite in the immediate area), Oscar Scherer SP (there are no trails in OS, just sand roads), and .... that's about it.

Within about an hour drive you can find quite a bit more, Hillsborough River SP, Withlacoochee State Forest has the Croom Tract (very nice forest trails). Check the state and national forest sites, and the state parks.

Further out (day or weekend trips) there are some good trails in Ocala NF, and my favorite in the entire state, Garden Of Eden trail in the panhandle (see FL Hikes below for info).

For backpacking trips (other than Myakka) you'll have to travel a bit.

The FL Trail runs through the center of the state, and has a great variety of trail types. But runs a bit closer to the other coast in that part of the state. www.floridatrail.org - Florida Trail (http://www.floridatrail.org/options/Florida-Trail/ - broken link)

The state also has a list of trails by section here: Florida Greenways and Trails Guide

Also check out Florida Hikes to get a pretty good list of trails with reviews.
Florida Hikes! | Hike the trails of Florida |

You don't say where you are coming from, but If you're used to hiking in hills or mountains then you'll find that you can go much further in a day in FL, since most trails have nearly flat elevation profiles. If you've not hiked in FL before (or along the gulf coast), you should probably carry more water than you are used to when you first start, since you will likely use much more than normal.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's going to be too hot/humid for this until the fall, unless you go early in the AM and be done before 10am. Even then you might be soaking wet with sweat even if you stand still in the shade.
I don't know how hot it is there now, but backpacking season is pretty much over until October or November. We generally hiked any time during the winter, but in spring and fall we tried to get out and back before noon, and during the worst of summer we did other things.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
There is a local walking club, Sarasota Walking Meetup...no mountains to climb but alot of get walks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area